Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Peter Matulis <pe...@yahoo.ca> on 2004/12/04 00:13:42 UTC

quarantine how?

How does one begin using the quarantine?  I am using SA 3.01 with milter smtp-vilter.

Re: quarantine how?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 06:13:42PM -0500, Peter Matulis wrote:
> How does one begin using the quarantine?  I am using SA 3.01 with milter smtp-vilter.

SpamAssassin has no quarantine capability in and of itself.  You have
to ask the smtp-vilter people how their milter works.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create

Re: quarantine how?

Posted by Rob Kudyba <rk...@raeinternet.com>.
> At 06:13 PM 12/3/2004, Peter Matulis wrote:
>>How does one begin using the quarantine?  I am using SA 3.01 with milter
>>smtp-vilter.
>
> SA has no quarantine support. AFAIK, neither does smtp-vilter. However, I
> think that clamav has some built-in quarantine support that ends up being
> used with smtp-vilter, but that's virus only.
>
> If you want to start quarantining spam, you're probably going to have to
> shift to a different tool. However, as Theo said, ask the smtp-vilter
> folks
> if they have a quarantine ability.

For non-open source, you can check out RAE Internet's MPP at
http://www.raeinternet.com/mpp and preview the Webmin module complete w/
spamd and virus quarantine...

Disclaimer: I work for RAE Internet...

Re: quarantine how?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 06:13 PM 12/3/2004, Peter Matulis wrote:
>How does one begin using the quarantine?  I am using SA 3.01 with milter
>smtp-vilter.

SA has no quarantine support. AFAIK, neither does smtp-vilter. However, I
think that clamav has some built-in quarantine support that ends up being
used with smtp-vilter, but that's virus only.

If you want to start quarantining spam, you're probably going to have to
shift to a different tool. However, as Theo said, ask the smtp-vilter folks
if they have a quarantine ability.

Generally I find that MTA integration tools, at their best, really only
implement one of the following well: Quarantines or Rejection. Which they
are good at tends to depend on when they are called relative to the
completion of SMTP delivery.

Most delivery-time tools, such as milters, are good at rejection, but are
not so good with quarantines.

Most post-delivery tools, such as MailScanner and amavisd-new, are good at
quarantines, but not so good at rejection (They wind up bouncing with a
DSN, not rejecting)