Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/04 21:20:55 UTC

[all] Jira Groups and Roles

Can anyone say what the usual practice is for assigning groups/roles
for people once they become a committer?

Theres a "Jakarta Developer" group - it gets you "committer" role for
Commons Lang and JCI but strangely nothing else.

Would be simpler if it was documented somewhere.

Niall

Re: [all] Jira Groups and Roles

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 4/4/07, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/4/07, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Yeah, it's a bit of a mess.
> > >
> > > The new JIRA release added the concept of project roles - which is
> > > great for many Apache projects. However we want to be able to grant
> > > project roles to N JIRA projects at the same time and it doesn't help
> > > with that.
> > >
> > > So we need to stay on the old system of assigning a group to the
> > > project, rather than messing around with roles too much (though the
> > > roles stuff does allow for permission to be granted in the short term
> > > while a request for being added to the group is made).
> > >
> > > Jeff did a bulk reconfiguration of JIRA and it was only afterwards
> > > that I understood sufficiently that it won't help us much. So now we
> > > need to go ahead and add the jakarta-developers group to each project
> > > role administrator bit.
> >
> > *pondering*
> >
> > Might be eaier to setup a Jakarta Permission that sets the group as
> > having read/write by default, instead of using the Standard Permission
> > and doing lots of configuring. That should be doable I think.
>
> I bow to your greater (and my lack of) Jira knowledge - but seeing
> that "Jakarta Devs" causes someone to automatically get "JCI and LANG
> commiter role" - shouldn't we just have two groups that do the same
> for all Commons. I was thinking something like
>
> "Commons Committer" group --> commiter role on all components
> "Jakarta PMC" --> pmc role on all jakarta sub-projects

Or one group *nod* (as I ended up dumping the idea of PMC and
committers being different in JIRA). Sorry - I over-JIRA'd my reply
above I suspect in trying to say the same thing.

Hen

Re: [all] Jira Groups and Roles

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 4/5/07, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
> Niall Pemberton wrote:

> >> assign

> >> issues,
> >>
> >> Yea, that happened for me too.  I dived into the general JIRA settings
> >> and found that nobody was allowed to change the reporter of an issue. I
> >> have changed this now so that jira-administrators can do it.
> >>
> >> Here's what I did to get rid of my old user:
> >>
> >> Filter all issues reported by old user
> >> Bulk change -> transition -> reopen (for all closed issues)
> >> Bulk change -> edit -> set reporter to new user
> >> Bulk change -> transition -> close
> >> Delete old user
> >>
> >> One thing to keep in mind though, when you reopen an issue the
> >> resolution gets reset. So you need to remember the resolution for each
> >> issue :-(
> >> I'll investigate further.
> >>
> >> Do you want me to move all issues from
> >> "niall.pemberton@blueyonder.co.uk" to "niallp" for you?
> >
> > Yes please, that would be great if you could.
> >
> > Niall
>
> Done, I also removed your old account.

Thanks Dennis :-)

Niall

Re: [all] Jira Groups and Roles

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Re: [all] Jira Groups and Roles

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: [all] Jira Groups and Roles

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [all] Jira Groups and Roles

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: [all] Jira Groups and Roles

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [all] Jira Groups and Roles

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 4/4/07, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/4/07, Dennis Lundberg <de...@mdh.se> wrote:
>
> > Username:
> > dennisl@apache.org
>
> ah, so not the dennislundberg one. :) I was a bit confused at that one
> not being a jakarta developer.
>
> While you're in there, you should delete your doppelganger and assign
> its reported issue over to your real user.

How do you do that - I also have an old id.

Niall

JIRA Admin done btw.

Re: [all] Jira Groups and Roles

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [all] Jira Groups and Roles

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@mdh.se>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 4/4/07, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Niall Pemberton wrote:
>

>> > "Commons Committer" group --> commiter role on all components
>> > "Jakarta PMC" --> pmc role on all jakarta sub-projects
>>
>> This sound good to me. Then as Henri said, we should set up a new
>> Permission Scheme. We now have a JIRA installation at my day job, so I
>> have taken some time to experiment with groups and permissions. If you
>> feel comfortable with me being a JIRA admin here, I could try to set
>> this up.
>
> Sure. What's your login?
>
> Hen

Username:
dennisl@apache.org

Full Name:
Dennis Lundberg

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [all] Jira Groups and Roles

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 4/4/07, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
> Niall Pemberton wrote:

> > "Commons Committer" group --> commiter role on all components
> > "Jakarta PMC" --> pmc role on all jakarta sub-projects
>
> This sound good to me. Then as Henri said, we should set up a new
> Permission Scheme. We now have a JIRA installation at my day job, so I
> have taken some time to experiment with groups and permissions. If you
> feel comfortable with me being a JIRA admin here, I could try to set
> this up.

Sure. What's your login?

Hen

Re: [all] Jira Groups and Roles

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 4/4/07, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
> Niall Pemberton wrote:

> >> *pondering*
> >>
> >> Might be eaier to setup a Jakarta Permission that sets the group as
> >> having read/write by default, instead of using the Standard Permission
> >> and doing lots of configuring. That should be doable I think.
> >
> > I bow to your greater (and my lack of) Jira knowledge - but seeing
> > that "Jakarta Devs" causes someone to automatically get "JCI and LANG
> > commiter role" - shouldn't we just have two groups that do the same
> > for all Commons. I was thinking something like
> >
> > "Commons Committer" group --> commiter role on all components
> > "Jakarta PMC" --> pmc role on all jakarta sub-projects
>
> This sound good to me. Then as Henri said, we should set up a new
> Permission Scheme. We now have a JIRA installation at my day job, so I
> have taken some time to experiment with groups and permissions. If you
> feel comfortable with me being a JIRA admin here, I could try to set
> this up.

Far me comfortable with you doing it than me - thats for sure ;-)

Niall

Re: [all] Jira Groups and Roles

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

--