Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Davide Daccico <dd...@ebilling.it> on 2008/12/15 15:34:33 UTC

FOP and AFPDS

Hi,

I'm new on FOP (but legacy afp expert which could help apache community) and
would like to know evaluate AFP renderer capabilities.

I really need some info:

1)      How to setup a simple job to render an AFPDS stream (with embedded
fonts);

2)      Get an AFP roadmap about FOP engine (what/when about improvements);

3)      Get the list of consultant/developers involved on AFP renderer.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Best,

Davide Daccico

eBilling S.p.a.

<name> Davide Daccico </name>

<company> ebilling S.p.A.</company>

<area> Professional Services </area>

<address> V.le Virgilio 54/F 41100 Modena, Italy </address>

<voice> +39 059 88680 direct 248 </voice>

<mobile> +39 335 1358266 </mobile>

<email>  <ma...@ebilling.it> ddaccico@ebilling.it </email>

  _____

STRICTLY PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL
This message may contain confidential and proprietary material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
the sender and delete all copies. The contents of this message that do not
relate to the official business of our company shall be understood as
neither given nor endorsed by it.

  _____

Re: FOP and AFPDS

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On 15 Dec 2008, at 15:34, Davide Daccico wrote:

Hello

> I’m new on FOP (but legacy afp expert which could help apache
> community) and would like to know evaluate AFP renderer capabilities.

Welcome! In that case, you'll definitely want to check out the latest
FOP Trunk, which offers some significant improvements in that area.

For more info on how to download and build FOP from scratch, see:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/dev/tools.html

The AFP renderer was donated to FOP a couple of years ago. I can't
remember immediately the exact name, but IIC, the effort originated on
Sourceforge. Manuel played quite an important role in integrating that
code into FOP. Adrian spent a lot of time in that part of the
codebase, and is the one who is responsible for the increased
functionality in FOP Trunk (not present in 0.95)

As for a roadmap, I don't believe one exists for the AFP renderer
specifically. You're invited to try out FOP Trunk, and let us know
which features you're still missing there.

For an answer to your usage question, I would point you to:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/running.html
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/embedding.html

Most examples produce PDF output, but the basic usage pattern remains
the same. Just a few replacements in command-line parameters, or MIME
types...

IIC, FOP Trunk also has the additional feature of allowing one to use
OS piping, and send the command-line output to a process of your
choice. Not sure if it works for AFP, but I don't immediately see a
problem.

HTH!

Cheers

Andreas

RE: AFPDS: the best format

Posted by Martin Edge <Ma...@asmorphic.net.au>.
Do you mind paying for flights?

I'd love a holiday.

Posted by Georg Datterl <ge...@geneon.de>.
Hi Davide,

AFPDS: the best format

Posted by Davide Daccico <dd...@ebilling.it>.
Hi everyone!

I would like to share some info.

I'm working in eBilling company (www.ebilling.it), a service provider who
produce about 230 Million AFP documents (= 230 x 6 Million pages!) per year.

Our spoolfile are ripped/printed by IBM/Ocè/Scitex high-speed laser/inkjet
printers.

The best format for the industry (standard the facto) is AFPDS file (all
resources are embedded: Formdef, pagedef, pagesegment, codepages, fonts,
...), called also MODCA.

Usually is better to use raster (PSEG) instead of complexc vector objects
(e.g. BCOCA) to maximize ripping speed and compatibility.
In the last years major commercial formatters don't create OVERLAY anymore,
but only PSEG again.
The best font format is raster (X0+C0) to maximize ripping speed and
compatibility.

We have all afp low level debugging tools, viewers and printers so I will be
glad to work for the community if you like.

We can plan to build a dedicated AFP team to maximize features for the
industry. Our company is interested to use FOP for the business too.

I will be available to arrange a meeting in our labs here in Modena (ITALY)
;-)

Also I can send you a sample AFP spoolfile which really represents the
"state of the art" about speed and compatibility. We print it with all
printers in Europe.

Thanks
Davide

Re: FOP and AFPDS

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Hi Davide

On 15.12.2008 15:34:33 Davide Daccico wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new on FOP (but legacy afp expert which could help apache community) and
> would like to know evaluate AFP renderer capabilities.
>
> I really need some info:
> 1)      How to setup a simple job to render an AFPDS stream (with embedded
> fonts);

You'll find all AFP-specific information under the following link:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/output.html#afp

It should tell you how to set up the fonts in the configuration file. If
you have trouble setting this up, just come back to this mailing list
and we'll try to help. But frankly, I'm not sure if the AFP renderer
actually supports embedding fonts. I believe they are always referenced
but I could be wrong.

I suggest you start with XSL-FO experiments with PDF output because
that's the most common case.
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/quickstartguide.html
Once you have that under control, it should be a little step to get AFP
output to work. You can work either off FOP 0.95 but we'd appreciate if
you could run tests with FOP Trunk (containing some new features in the
AFP part). That's a tad more difficult as it involves getting the source
code and building FOP yourself. But that's all explained on the website:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/compiling.html

> 2)      Get an AFP roadmap about FOP engine (what/when about improvements);

As Andreas already said, there's not much of a roadmap. We don't have an
abundance of resources in the project which makes giving dates difficult.
Mostly people work on what they need ("scratching your own itch"). We
have a document on the Wiki that lists things people focus on:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/RoadMap
(but not everyone works with that and many small thing get done
unanounced (like bugfixes))

Anyway, one item that is definitely on the list is the implementation of
the AFP format based on the new intermediate format [1] I'm currently
working on. On the wish list is certainly better color support.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/AreaTreeIntermediateXml/NewDesign

> 3)      Get the list of consultant/developers involved on AFP renderer.

Pete Townsend and Joe Schmetzer originally developed an AFP renderer for
FOP (http://afp-renderer.sourceforge.net/). That was donated to FOP and
integrated into FOP by Manuel Mall. After that Adrian Cumiskey took over
(adding GOCA support and improvements on resource groups and image
handling), as Andreas already mentioned. I've just been keeping an eye
on the AFP code but to this day I have no real-life experience with this
format (so I'm probably the opposite of you: I know the code but I'm no
AFP expert). ;-)

> Any help would be very appreciated.

Likewise. We're always glad to have additional people dropping in to
help out in any way possible (documentation, feedback, suggestions, code
etc.).

<snip/>

Good luck,
Jeremias Maerki

Re: FOP and AFPDS

Posted by Adrian Cumiskey <de...@cumiskey.com>.
Hi Davide,

2008/12/15 Davide Daccico <dd...@ebilling.it>:
> Hi,
>

> I'm new on FOP (but legacy afp expert which could help apache community) and
> would like to know evaluate AFP renderer capabilities.
>

> I really need some info:
>
> 1)      How to setup a simple job to render an AFPDS stream (with embedded
> fonts);

Currently there is no support for embedded fonts, only referenced IBM
raster and outline fonts.  There is no support for embedded true type
fonts which would certainly be a valuable additional feature which I
think many users could benefit from.  This is something I could help
you with.

> 2)      Get an AFP roadmap about FOP engine (what/when about improvements);

As far as I am aware I don't believe there is an AFP roadmap as such
and I am unaware of any interested parties at the moment in improving
the AFP support in FOP.

> 3)      Get the list of consultant/developers involved on AFP renderer.

I have the most recent knowledge of the AFP renderer code, I know the
code and I know AFP having worked on that area of FOP for a number of
months, rewriting much of it when adding the SVG --> GOCA support,
resource group and image handling.  I would be happy to help you with
any questions that you may have.

Kind regards,

Adrian Cumiskey.