Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2017/12/27 23:39:38 UTC

Starting the 4.2.0 localization

Just a few notes on what I've found so far about the 4.2.0 localization,
in case others (like Keith, who wrote he is interested) want to follow
and/or proceed.

Of course, you will need:

1. A full checkout of trunk; I believe some of the tools are built
during the build process, but I'm using a fully built tree anyway.

2. Good knowledge of another language than English (I use Italian).

The wiki contains instructions for several generations of tools (past,
present and even future - but let's fix the current tools before passing
to the new ones that were promising but were never used in production).
The current process is at
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Localization_for_developers

An Italian build of trunk looks quite broken. For example: create a new
blank Impress document. Right-click anywhere on the slide and you'll see
that the context menu is mostly in English (Slide, Insert Snap
Point/Line). Is it broken in other languages too? This menu is of course
translated in 4.1.5.

Note that this is normal. Code rearrangements result in changes of
string identifiers, and it already happened that some code changes
resulted in the need to re-translate parts that had already been translated.

The rest looks as expected. 4.1.5 has COUNTIFS in the formula list, but
no help for it; trunk has a help page for it, if you search COUNTIFS (in
English).

Sp the first step is: regenerate SDF files to replace those in
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/extras/l10n/source/
(then we will have to see what to replace and how, since we'll want to
preserve work done in Pootle so far if possible).

To this aim, I've run (from within main/ )

$ localize -e -l it=en-US -f /.../my.sdf

and compared this to the Italian file we have in trunk. This results in
about 1000 strings (counting both the added and removed ones), but it is
quite in agreement with what I see in the build. To count the 1000
strings, I stripped away the timestamp from files (otherwise of course
all lines would have been different) and sorted both of them.

It would be helpful to know if other people are seeing the same in other
languages. What I'm seeing now looks reasonable. For example, the "new"
SDF file contains the Impress strings that appear in English and the
help for the COUNTIFS function.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Starting the 4.2.0 localization

Posted by FR web forum <oo...@free.fr>.

> Impress document and right-click on the slide you will see the
> context menu in English.
I can confirm with French version too

This problem affects all contextual menus for Impress and Draw.

Re: Starting the 4.2.0 localization

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Pedro Lino wrote:
> Hi Andrea, all
>> Impress document and right-click on the slide you will see the context
>> menu in English.
> Problem confirmed with Portuguese build

Thanks for checking. And actually, as I wrote, I wouldn't consider this
a problem. Code refactoring caused some strings to be moved and get a
different identifier in trunk, so the translations for 4.1.5 cannot be
reused as they are. Of course, it becomes a problem if the Pootle
strings, imported in the AOO415 branch, still cause the issue; and this
is the next test.

> Apparently AOO 420 is 100% translated to Portuguese on Pootle so it
> might be a good test Language.

Ah yes, this is a detail I forgot to write. I've repeatedly written in
the past that Pootle had the trunk strings and that meant that we
couldn't import them to any 4.1.x version (due to the issue above).
Well, this was correct but only in part. The last import of the trunk
strings into Pootle was done years ago, so (contrary to my expectations)
Pootle is probably much closer to 4.1.x than to trunk. In other words,
if a language is 100% translated in Pootle now, we can probably use the
translation as-is for a 4.1.x release, but not for a trunk (4.2.0)
release; exactly the opposite of what I expected.

> If you can do the build process I would gladly volunteer to check any
> binaries for untranslated menus/interfaces  (after New Year obviously ;) ).

I can easily provide Linux builds. But if the above is confirmed by the
next tests, then we should probably create a temporary branch named
"AOO41L10N" or similar and point the current AOO415 buildbots (now
useless) to it. On that branch, we can import strings from Pootle and
let teams check that the import is correct. Then we can do the real
work, i.e., port this to trunk (4.2.0) and delete the temporary branch.
More information after the next tests.

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org>.
Hi Andrea, all

> - The problem (not a problem actually; just the need to translate some
> hundreds strings again) I had empirically found for Italian indeed
> affects all languages. If you download a non-English build from
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/install/linux64/ or
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/install/win/ create a new
> Impress document and right-click on the slide you will see the context
> menu in English. Example for German:
> https://s13.postimg.org/4acjbnr3b/screen.png

Problem confirmed with Portuguese build (AOO420m1(Build:9800)  - Rev.
1819451 from BuildBot but also with Matthias' latest build
AOO420m1(Build:9800)  -  Rev. 1819072) under Windows

> Next tests (for me or for anyone else who wants to try) would be:
> 1. Run the same process (2 and 3) on AOO415 and see if the match is
> perfect there (no warnings)
> 2. Build both AOO415 and trunk with the new SDF file and see if
> translations from Pootle are picked up properly.

Apparently AOO 420 is 100% translated to Portuguese on Pootle so it
might be a good test Language.
If you can do the build process I would gladly volunteer to check any
binaries for untranslated menus/interfaces  (after New Year obviously ;) ).

Regards,
Pedro

Re: Starting the 4.2.0 localization

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Some more updates.

1. 4.1.0 is the same as 4.1.5: 97 different strings (the same 97)
between Pootle and our template files. This means, probably, that Pootle
is not perfectly aligned with any 4.1.x release. This also means that,
to the only purpose of translators verifying their translations, 4.1.5
is the best match.

2. An important step forward: I've managed to rebuild 4.1.5 in French
using strings from Pootle. I've ignored the 97 different strings (this
is hardly noticeable; strings are more than 72.000) and used a Pootle
export to rebuild French.

The French Pootle strings are still broken, but less than the Portuguese
ones; and I've managed to fix manually the two errors reported by

$ gsicheck -l "" fr/localize.sdf

and proceed with the build (see the l10n list for the specific errors).
Note: for some reason I had to run a clean build, I tried something like
"build --prepare --from helpcontent2 ; build --from helpcontent2" but
this didn't clean up enough.

So the good news is: we are now able to import translators' work from
Pootle and apply it to a branch (AOO415) that is widely matching (not
100%, but still 99.8% matching). And we could, I believe, do the same
for trunk and still get a 95-98% match.

The bad news is: Pootle is not reliable for checking that strings are
formatted in a valid way; both Portuguese and French were 100%
translated but had broken strings that did not allow an import as-is.
This is a known issue, but since some languages haven't been imported
for years I expect virtually all languages to have potential validity
issues. Either we go for semi-automated fixes or we'll have to collect
all errors and wait for translators to fix strings in Pootle before
producing builds. In any case, there is a lot of manual work and we
could try to split it and make it accessible to people who can't fully
build OpenOffice too.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.