Posted to dev@ode.apache.org by Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/11 13:21:27 UTC

ODE Website

Hi all,

as you may know, the html autoexport plugin that we use to export our
website from Confluence will be shut down by end of this year. This means
that we need to migrate to the ASF CMS.

Also, the ASF has some guidelines regarding how we link to the main ASF
site and how trademarks are mentioned etc, so we also need to tweak our
template.

Instead of doing that, I started to build a new template from scratch
(well, it's based on Twitter Bootstrap, thus not really from scratch). It
should fulfill the trademark requirements, I also took the Apache logo from
another bootstrap-based Apache project site.

I think there are still a couple of things missing, I liked the navigation
system of the old site better, so I think the new one should either get
bread crumbs or a navigation sidebar.

Regarding the content, I extracted the contents from confluence and
migrated it to markdown. Unfortunately, the migration didnt go too good, so
that there is still a manual post processing needed. I did that already for
all pages but the user's guide. Helping hands are of course appreciated.

I'd like to know what you think. Do you like the new layout in general? Or
should we stick with the old one? What do you like to see improved?

The staging site is located here: http://ode.staging.apache.org
The contents are here: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ode/site/trunk/

WDYT?

Thanks,
  Tammo

--
Tammo van Lessen - http://www.taval.de

Re: ODE Website

Posted by Sathwik B P <sa...@gmail.com>.
The site looks great.
I feel the header which is in blue gradient is too big. In some pages it's
almost half the screen (
http://ode.staging.apache.org/implicit-correlations.html).

regards,
sathwik

Re: ODE Website

Posted by Jeff Yu <je...@gmail.com>.
Great work, Tammo.

Happy New Year.

Regards
Jeff

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I spent some time over the holidays and finished the migration of the
> website. I made the blue header a bit smaller, tweaked the markup and fixed
> a bunch of broken (internal) links, so in general the page should have been
> improved a bit as well. Please have a look at ode.staging.apache.org and
> apply fixes directly to the SVN. I've asked infra to put the new page into
> production, so the site should be live soonish.
>
> Happy new year!
>   Tammo
>

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Gary Brown <ga...@pi4tech.com> wrote:
>
> > +1 good job Tammo
> > On 12 Dec 2012 00:27, "Jeff Yu" <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I actually like the new website. Maybe I looked at the old one too
> much,
> > > but thats what I felt. :)
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Jeff
> > >

> > > On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:21 PM, Tammo van Lessen <
> tvanlessen@gmail.com

> > means

> ASF
> our

> scratch).
> > It
> logo
> > > from

> > > navigation
> get

> > good,
> > > so
> already
> > > for
> > appreciated.

> general?
> > > Or

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ode/site/trunk/

> > > --
> > > Cheers,
> > > Jeff Yu
> > >
> > > ----------------
> > > blog: http://jeff.familyyu.net

Cheers,
Jeff Yu

----------------
blog: http://jeff.familyyu.net

Re: ODE Website

Posted by Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com>.
Hi devs,

--
Tammo van Lessen - http://www.taval.de

Re: ODE Website

Posted by Gary Brown <ga...@pi4tech.com>.
+1 good job Tammo

Re: ODE Website

Posted by Jeff Yu <je...@gmail.com>.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:21 PM, Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> as you may know, the html autoexport plugin that we use to export our
> website from Confluence will be shut down by end of this year. This means
> that we need to migrate to the ASF CMS.
>
> Also, the ASF has some guidelines regarding how we link to the main ASF
> site and how trademarks are mentioned etc, so we also need to tweak our
> template.
>
> Instead of doing that, I started to build a new template from scratch
> (well, it's based on Twitter Bootstrap, thus not really from scratch). It
> should fulfill the trademark requirements, I also took the Apache logo from
> another bootstrap-based Apache project site.
>
> I think there are still a couple of things missing, I liked the navigation
> system of the old site better, so I think the new one should either get
> bread crumbs or a navigation sidebar.
>
> Regarding the content, I extracted the contents from confluence and
> migrated it to markdown. Unfortunately, the migration didnt go too good, so
> that there is still a manual post processing needed. I did that already for
> all pages but the user's guide. Helping hands are of course appreciated.
>
> I'd like to know what you think. Do you like the new layout in general? Or
> should we stick with the old one? What do you like to see improved?
>
> The staging site is located here: http://ode.staging.apache.org
> The contents are here: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ode/site/trunk/
>
> WDYT?
>
> Thanks,