Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net> on 2013/03/18 18:26:31 UTC

Talking Points for Graduation

In addition to a press release at the ready, we also ought to have a set
of "talking points," ready. If anyone does a blog or talks to press, we
ought to have a coherent message to talk about the project and the
software.

Note that this is strictly for the graduation to TLP and not so much
about 4.1.0 even though that's on the front burner too. Suggested
talking points and such below. Revisions, etc. welcome!

What we need to be able to articulate:

- Why this matters:

Graduation is about the community's readiness to operate as an open
source project, it's not about the state of the code - which was already
mature when CloudStack entered the incubator. What it means is that the
project is self-governing and has sufficient participation from a
diverse community that it has demonstrated to the Apache board that it's
ready to act as a TLP.

>From here, Apache CloudStack can operate more autonomously and that will
make it easier for the project to do things like releases and promote
itself.

- What it doesn't mean:

It's deeply important to emphasize that this has nothing to do with code
maturity. One of the common misconceptions about incubating projects -
and CloudStack - is that it is a "new" project and/or that the code is
immature. We need to emphasize that CloudStack is mature software and
has been since it entered the incubator. Graduation is about community
readiness, not code readiness.

- What Apache CloudStack is:

Apache CloudStack is open source Infrastructure-as-a-Service software,
and the community that produces the software.

CloudStack is a turnkey product that supplies integrated components for
many of the functions that organizations expect from an IaaS platform:
the UI, API, accounting, networking, management, etc. - and works with a
wide range of hypervisors, storage, and networking appliances.

- Why Should an Organization Try CloudStack?

Maturity, stability, scalability, and community.

* Maturity: Apache CloudStack is in use in many production deployments
for private, public, and hybrid clouds.

* Stability: It's been proven as a stable platform with a number of
long-term deployments that have seen little or no downtime.

* Scalability: CloudStack has been used in environments with more than
30,000 physical nodes and is also used in geo-distributed environments
with data centers all over the globe.

* Community: As part of the Apache Software Foundation, CloudStack's
community is diverse, friendly, and one that puts all contributors on
equal footing. The Apache governance model is well-understood and open.

###

What else do we need here, folks?

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net

Re: REVISED (was Re: Talking Points for Graduation)

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Wed, Mar 20, 2013, at 08:08 PM, Chip Childers wrote:
> Perfect.  Let's make sure that any PMC members we hook up with press
> have this (just in case they still aren't on this list).

I believe any PMC folks who'd be talking to press (at least that we'd be
setting up interviews for) are on the list.

> Which reminds me (perhaps off topic for this thread), but have press
> feelers been sent and / or list of contacts finalized?

Not yet. And we need to start outreach tomorrow. I don't like pinging
press on Friday with Monday news.

Sally - have you had a chance to look over the press list and check for
duplicates?

Best,

jzb

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
Hi all,

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 05:52:09PM +0000, Sally Khudairi wrote:
> Thanks, Joe.
>
> One question that often comes up from the press is "what's the future of the project" or "what is next" --so it might be good to have a statement ready that explains how the community drives the development/requirements/architecture (vs. an ASF "master plan").

Thanks Sally.  Good point.

How about some combination of the thoughts below:

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Joe.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 01:08:59PM -0400, David Nalley wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net> wrote:
> > - Why this matters:
> >
> > Graduation is about the community's readiness to operate as an open
> > source project, it's not about the state of the code - which was already
> > mature when CloudStack entered the incubator. What it means is that the
> > project is self-governing and has sufficient participation from a
> > diverse community that it has demonstrated to the Apache board that it's
> > ready to act as a TLP.
> >

> If you are not terribly familiar with the ASF I fear the above is gobbledygook.
> What does 'ready to act as a TLP' mean?

The talking points aren't meant to be standalone or published outright.
This is for people who may speak to press or write about the graduation
to ensure they hit on the key points. So - not sure that it's imperative
that the talking points are for people who are "terribly familiar with
the ASF" - it's assumed that those using the talking points are.

> Which then delves into how the Apache Way is different than other open
> source development methodologies, etc.

That in itself would be a good talking point:

- How is the Apache Way different than other methodologies?

(Suggestions?)

> > Maturity, stability, scalability, and community.
>
> This strikes me as a non-answer - and perhaps a bad question. Why
> should my organization try CloudStack? Do I even need CloudStack -
> these are far more basic questions.

Yes, but - again - it's not meant to be a story in and of itself. The
assumption is these are questions that are likely to be covered by
anyone writing about this.

We could have a "who is CloudStack developed for?" point, I suppose:

- What is Apache CloudStack's target audience?

* Service providers who wish to implement a public cloud for their
customers, or private hosted cloud.
* Organizations that wish to have a private cloud.

(We could probably expand on that a bit.)

> > * Maturity: Apache CloudStack is in use in many production deployments
> > for private, public, and hybrid cloud
>
> I don't like the claim of hybrid here personally.

Why? AFAIK there are CloudStack users doing hybrid cloud...

> > * Community: As part of the Apache Software Foundation, CloudStack's
> > community is diverse, friendly, and one that puts all contributors on
> > equal footing. The Apache governance model is well-understood and open.
> >

> Is that a true statement?
> Is the model well understood?

As governance models go, I think so - but what I really want to get
across is:

* The governance model is something like the Apache license: Developers
and organizations seem to be largely comfortable with it and feel like
they understand it. (Compare to company-driven projects where governance
is *not* well understood and subject to change).
* It is documented and there are processes. While not perfectly
documented or totally set in stone, there are not a lot of surprises for
most situations. (There are always new situations and unusual
circumstances that may break new ground or require revisiting things.)

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
http://dissociatedpress.net/

Re: Talking Points for Graduation

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 07:07:38PM +0000, Giles Sirett wrote:

> My understand was same as Sally: we need to announce as close to vote as possible or it will leak out with less impact

So I don't think we should worry a ton about this.  Let's get the
official release out when it's the right time to do so.  Sounds like
Monday is the best target, given that we are going to have to ask infra@
to help make some website changes in short order.

> To answer Sallys initial questions:
>
> I should have a draft PR  to share with you within the hour (just needs to be checked over on the list again)

Thanks again for doing this Giles!

> I'll provide to you in .Doc format so you can add contact details,date,time,etc  and will also get added to CS wiki so people have got something to link to immediately
> I'll do that just before (4- 5EST)

Please don't put it on the wiki.  We should use the official ASF blog,
when Sally releases it.

Also, can you please make sure to send it to this list as plain text (we
won't get an attachment, as they are typically stripped).

Re: Talking Points for Graduation

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 07:24:55PM +0000, Giles Sirett wrote:
> Joe, are you saying we should go for Thursday or Monday ? - not sure what you mean

I suggest Monday.

> .doc was just to get to Sally, I know it wont go out as such

Use text only please.

RE: Talking Points for Graduation

Posted by Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com>.
Joe, are you saying we should go for Thursday or Monday ? - not sure what you mean

.doc was just to get to Sally, I know it wont go out as such

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013, at 02:07 PM, Giles Sirett wrote:

> My understand was same as Sally: we need to announce as close to vote
> as possible or it will leak out with less impact

People mentioning it is one thing, it's when a project blogs about it or puts it on an -announce list that it's a major problem.

> To answer Sallys initial questions:
>
> I should have a draft PR  to share with you within the hour (just
> needs to be checked over on the list again)
>
> I'll provide to you in .Doc format so you can add contact
> details,date,time,etc  and will also get added to CS wiki so people
> have got something to link to immediately I'll do that just before (4-
> 5EST)

Do we want this in .doc? Not sure what Sally prefers, but I'd avoid .doc unless specifically requested. It's going to a blog + mailing list, not sure where a .doc file would be called for.

> Happy to hold all this off if folks think Monday is better

We should lock the release today or tomorrow.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net
Twitter: @jzb
http://www.dissociatedpress.net/

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: Talking Points for Graduation

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013, at 02:00 PM, Sally Khudairi wrote:
> Folks, just to confirm the timing: you'd like to go live at 6AM ET on
> Thursday, 21 March, providing that the Board approves the resolution
> tomorrow. Yes?

I think (thought) we were talking about Monday next week? I don't know
that we'll have cloudstack.apache.org live by Thursday morning & I
thought that was a requirement?

> Kindly let me know so I can get ramped up.
>
> Thanking you in advance,
> Sally
>

> >________________________________

Best,