Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Robert Dailey <rc...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/15 22:05:14 UTC

Complicated merge

Hi,

I originally posted this on the subverison user mailing list but I
received no response after over a week. I'm assuming this is a very
technical question that requires a subversion developer to obtain an
answer, so I'll re-post the inquiry to this mailing list. Help on this
matter is greatly appreciated. The contents of the original message
are below:

Say I have the following working copy structure:

wc_root/
    directory1/
    directory2/
    directory3/

Furthermore, let's assume that this working copy has been switched to
a feature branch of some sort (The same structure still applies to the
branch). Now, let's switch directory2 back to the trunk version. After
that, we perform a merge on "wc_root". When I do this, I see that the
svn:mergeinfo generated acts like changes from trunk were successfully
merged into directory2, when that can't be possible since it was
switched.

Basically, my concern comes down to this: When you have a working copy
with a bunch of sub-directories switched, what happens to the merge
process when it is done at the root of the working copy? It seems like
it breaks everything to have any sort of nested switches in your
working copy during a merge.

Re: Complicated merge

Posted by Robert Dailey <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Ben Collins-Sussman
<su...@red-bean.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Robert Dailey <rc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Basically, my concern comes down to this: When you have a working copy
> > with a bunch of sub-directories switched, what happens to the merge
> > process when it is done at the root of the working copy? It seems like
> > it breaks everything to have any sort of nested switches in your
> > working copy during a merge.
>
> You are correct, switched subdirs currently leads to broken merges;
> that's why the svnbook explicitly warns against this.  See the list of
> caveats here, specifically the third bullet:
>

> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.branchmerge.advanced.html#svn.branchmerge.advanced.finalword

Is it safe to merge a subdirectory of the branch into a matching sub
directory of the trunk? In other words, "cherry picking" my merges into
trunk? If I do this, how will this affect trying to merge the entire branch
over to trunk at the root level later? Will it try to merge the same
cherry-picked changes twice? How does cherry picking work when it comes down
to this specific scenario?

Re: Complicated merge

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.