Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> on 2020/05/07 15:57:41 UTC

[sling 12] Content-Package maven archetype

Hi,

We had several discussions related archetypes and content-packages
[1],[2], [3]. I was personally very enthusiastic about reorganising the
Sling archetypes and converging on the sling-project-archetype.

However, it seems that there was no movement in that direction, and I
did not find the time to invest in retiring the other archetypes.

As "perfect is the enemy of good", I'd like to propose that for Sling
12 we create a simple content-project Maven archetype, in the spirit of
the other Maven archeypes. This would make the 'content-package based
development' theme [4] complete for Sling 12, which can only be a good
thing.

Then, for lucky Sling 13, we can focus on getting a polished Sling
Project archetype ready.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Robert

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-6203
[2]: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/1fc520167471cb264f5cae7f590d0adddcaa45fe4fa8be8984e5bf2a%40%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E
[3]: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/048c181ae57fff8be79f17aa3c7f33fe999d90f81dc431710726b62c%40%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E
[4]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-6950

Re: New git repo: sling-content-package-archetype (was: [sling 12] Content-Package maven archetype)

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2020-11-03 at 12:54 +0100, Robert Munteanu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2020-05-08 at 11:59 +0200, Robert Munteanu wrote:
> > On Fri, 2020-05-08 at 00:36 +0200, Robert Munteanu wrote:
> > > I don't really have a timeline, as it might've become apparent :-
> > > )
> > > So
> > >
> > > if you find the time to update the archetype, that'd be great.
> > > It's
> > >
> > > just that for me the quickest path is to push the content-package
> > >
> > > archetype that I have sitting on my local machine and polished a
> > > bit
> > >
> > > today.
> >
> > FWIW, I have pushed the code that I have to GitHub (outside of the
> > apache org, for now)
> >
> >   https://github.com/rombert/content-package-archetype/
>
> Discusssions seem to have died down. I propose to move the archetype
> the ASF org.
>
> repository name: sling-content-package-archetype
> artifact id: sling-content-package-archetype

It was already there, I missed it somehow ...

  https://github.com/apache/sling-content-package-archetype

Thanks,
Robert

New git repo: sling-content-package-archetype (was: [sling 12] Content-Package maven archetype)

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Fri, 2020-05-08 at 11:59 +0200, Robert Munteanu wrote:
> On Fri, 2020-05-08 at 00:36 +0200, Robert Munteanu wrote:
> > I don't really have a timeline, as it might've become apparent :-)
> > So
> >
> > if you find the time to update the archetype, that'd be great. It's
> >
> > just that for me the quickest path is to push the content-package
> >
> > archetype that I have sitting on my local machine and polished a
> > bit
> >
> > today.
>
> FWIW, I have pushed the code that I have to GitHub (outside of the
> apache org, for now)
>
>   https://github.com/rombert/content-package-archetype/

Discusssions seem to have died down. I propose to move the archetype to
the ASF org.

repository name: sling-content-package-archetype
artifact id: sling-content-package-archetype

I plan to create the repo and start a release vote on Friday.

Thanks,
Robert

Re: [sling 12] Content-Package maven archetype

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Andy,

On Thu, 2020-05-07 at 15:18 -0700, Andreas Schaefer wrote:
> Hi Robert
>
> I know I dropped the ball here but the entire Feature Model thing on
> Sling is still developing.
>
> I assume from the post that Sling 12 is still a good old fashioned PM
> based release which is fine for me.
> So a FM based ’super archetype’ is not really going to work as long
> as Sling is not supporting FMs OOTB.

To be honest, I don't have a strong opinion. Sling 12 is whatever we
will make it to be :-) If FM does not make the cut and we decide to
release, so be it.

But content-package based development is quite close so I'd like to
make that a feature for Sling 12.

> That said as far as I know the Sling Project Archetype should work
> with Sling 12 but the dependencies might need to be updated but that
> should be an easy fix as soon as the PMs are frozen.
>
> Let me know when you want to start that process and I will squeeze in
> the update of the Archetype.

I don't really have a timeline, as it might've become apparent :-) So
if you find the time to update the archetype, that'd be great. It's
just that for me the quickest path is to push the content-package
archetype that I have sitting on my local machine and polished a bit
today.

Then we can definitely give the project archetype the attention it
deserves - I recall last time the discussions were long as it's a lot
to digest.

That being said, if you manage to update the project archetype and
everyone is ok with switching to that for Sling 12 we should definitely
go for it.

Thanks,
Robert

Posted by Andreas Schaefer <sc...@me.com.INVALID>.