Posted to user@lucenenet.apache.org by Michael Herndon <mh...@wickedsoftware.net> on 2011/09/21 05:56:49 UTC

[Lucene.Net] Nuget, Lucene.Net, and Your Thoughts

We're taking a quick poll over the next few days to see how people would
like use Lucene.Net through Nuget on the developers mailing list**

Currently version 2.9.2 is hosted on nuget.org, but that package was not
create by the project maintainers, thus nuget is not currently set up in
source.  Going forward, we would like to continue what someone else started
by creating nuget packages for Lucene.Net.

Right now there are two packages: Lucene & Lucene.Contrib.  My question to
the community is do you wish to finer grain packages, i.e. a package for
each contrib project or continue to keep it simple.

The granular approach will let you use only what you need. We can also
create additional higher level packages which have dependencies on the other
ones.   Possibly a Lucene.Net-Essentials and Lucene.Net-Full.

Or we can keep it simple and continue with only two packages.

My concerns are that the granular approach might overwhelm people with
choice. The simple choice might be considered bloat for importing and then
installing assemblies that you might never use.

Another topic to converse about is would you like to see an out-of-band
project nuget feed for  nightly builds, branches with new or experimental
features, or stable code snapshots for a projected release?

** when you post, please respond to lucene-net-dev@lucene.apache.org.  This
was posted to both lists to make sure everyone subscribed to both lists has
a chance to voice their use cases or concerns.

RE: [Lucene.Net] Nuget, Lucene.Net, and Your Thoughts

Posted by Brian Sayatovic <bs...@creditinfonet.com>.
I would love to use it.  Unfortunately, my project is well underway and under tight deadlines, so we can't afford the disruption of switching to NuGet for Lucene, or any of the other libraries we use.  However, once we release, I definitely want to embrace NuGet and would love for Lucene.NET to be available through NuGet.

[...]

________________________________

Learn more about the products, services and technology solutions available from CIN Legal Data Services at: www.cinlegal.com<http://www.cinlegal.com>

This message may contain confidential / proprietary information from CIN Legal Data Service and Credit Infonet, Inc.. If you are not an intended recipient, please refrain from the disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this information. All such unauthorized actions are strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender by e-mail at bsayatovic@creditinfonet.com and delete all copies of this material from any computer.

Re: [Lucene.Net] Nuget, Lucene.Net, and Your Thoughts

Posted by Kevin Miller <sc...@gmail.com>.
The granular approach can cause dependency issues as well. FubuMVC is
running into this with their granularity had to invent their own build chain
for "ripples" of changes.

I would say do two packages Lucene and Contrib and when one of the pieces of
Contrib gets awesome enough to warrant it's own package.

I look forward to official Lucene.Net packages.

Posted by Digy <di...@gmail.com>.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_press/archive/2010/02/03/jeffrey-richter-e
xcerpt-2-from-clr-via-c-third-edition.aspx

Yes, this is the trick some obfuscators use.(they use also some scrambling
fxns to hide the code in resource)

DIGY

Posted by Michael Herndon <mh...@wickedsoftware.net>.

Posted by Digy <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Herndon <mh...@wickedsoftware.net>.
On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 12:31 AM, Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com> wrote:

> While it may be a bit redundant, why couldn't there be an individual
> package for each piece of contrib and a "Lucene.Net Contrib (All)"
> package that drags them all down.
>
> That way users can grab just the bit they need, or if they just want
> to get the whole thing, grab the "All" package.
>
> Thanks,
> Troy

That was the idea for the Lucene.Net-Essentials & Lucene.Net-Full packages.

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Itamar Syn-Hershko <it...@code972.com>.
Use a Lucene.Net core package for the core, and separate packages for each
contrib. That makes the most sense, and that is how most projects work. This
is also how Java Lucene does.

Don't create a nightly nuget package - nuget should only be used for
distribution packages

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 6:56 AM, Michael Herndon <

Posted by "Granroth, Neal V." <ne...@thermofisher.com>.
Say what?  There's no personalities involved here.
It's simple, anything that comes between me and the source is unnecessary and just gets in the way of deploying and using Lucene.NET

- Neal

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Herndon <mh...@wickedsoftware.net>.
Nick,