Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Rahul Kirthivasan <he...@yahoo.com> on 2001/04/18 19:52:47 UTC

OT: Polling Model Design Question for SOAP app

Hi All,

I am currently using Apache SOAP to send requests
to a java class that is deployed in Apache TOmCat
at a well defined URN endpoint.

My java object looks up a database table and then uses
this info to perform a huge task for every single row
in the table. Each of these tasks might take a long
time. So I decided to split the tasks by using some
kind of a thread pool approach with each thread
processing the tasks associated with a row.

I want to get the advantages of EJB. But I guess I
cannot use threads inside an EJB bean. What is the
best model for these kind of applications.
That is,
(1) Application should be capable of receiving SOAP
messges for certain settings.
(2) App uses a Polling kind of model by constantly
looking up the DB at regular intervals and performing
a long task for each row in the table. I want
parallelism by splitting the task between say multiple
threads.

How could this polling model be best deployed. Could
EJB be used in such a scenario ?

Thanks,
Rahul

RE: Polling Model Design Question for SOAP app

Posted by Rahul Kirthivasan <he...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Fredric,

Thanks a lot for the pointers.

Fredric, once I invoke these individual
session beans from the MDB, do I have to
wait for control to return from each of the
Session beans. In other, words these Session
beans may each be allocated a long task to
do that I wouldn't want to wait for to complete.
So will control be immediately returned to
me once I relegate these taske to
a session bean ?.

Thanks,
Rahul