Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Peter <ji...@zeus.net.au> on 2018/02/17 10:44:29 UTC

Draft February Board report.

Hi River folks,

Draft board report for February, I'm running a little late, so this
might have to be postponed untill March.

Regards,

Peter.

<===========================================================>

  - Apache River provides a platform for dynamic discovery and lookup
search of network services.  Services may be implemented in a number of
languages, while clients are required to be jvm based (presently at
least), to allow proxy jvm byte code to be provisioned dynamically.

## Issues:

  No significant issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Activity:

  Interest in making Jini specifications programming language agnostic.

Release roadmap:

>  River 3.0.1 - thread leak fix
>  River 3.1 - Modular build restructure (&  binary release)
>  River 3.2 - Input validation 4 Serialization, delayed unmarshalling&
> safe ServiceRegistrar  lookup service.
>  River 3.3 - OSGi support

## Health report:

  - Minimal activity at present on dev.
  - No recent commit activity, but there are plans for more work in near
future.

  - Future Direction:

    * Target IOT space with support for OSGi and IPv6 (security fixes
required prior to announcement)
    * Input validation for java deserialization - prevents DOS and
      Gadget attacks.
    * IPv6 Multicast Service Discovery (River currently only support
      IPv4 multicast discovery).
    * Delayed unmarshalling for Service Lookup and Discovery (includes
      SafeServiceRegistrar mentioned in release roadmap), so
      authentication can occur prior to downloading service proxy's,
      this addresses a long standing security issue with service lookup
      while significantly improving performance under some use cases.
    * Security fixes for SSL endpoints, updated to TLS v1.2 with removal
      of support for insecure cyphers.
    * Maven build to replace existing ant built that uses
      classdepandjar, a bytecode dependency analysis build tool.
    * Updating the Jini specifications.

## PMC changes:

  - Currently 12 PMC members.
  - One new PMC members added in the last 3 months
  - Last PMC addition was Dan Rollo on Fri 1st December 2017

## Committer base changes:

  - Currently 16 committers.

## Releases:

  - River-3.0.0 was released on Wed Oct 05 2016

## Mailing list activity:

  - Relatively quiet in comparison to recent months, however this
appears as a result of reaching concensus after a period of discussion.

## JIRA activity:

- Activity around making Jini specifications programming language agnostic.

Re: Draft February Board report.

Posted by Bryan Thompson <br...@blazegraph.com>.
+1 Bryan