Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Mi...@risk.sungard.com on 2002/01/29 21:45:41 UTC

Axis and asynchronous RPC

(Note to Xinshi, Andy, & crew: Axis is Apache's third version of SOAP.)

I note that on your current list of requirements at
http://xml.apache.org/axis/index.html you have the following item and
status:
|--+-------------------------------------------------+-+-----|
|42|[??] Asynchronous request/response (non-blocking)| |NYI -|
|  |(the question marks mean we don't know whether to| |?    |
|  |provide this)                                    | |     |
|--+-------------------------------------------------+-+-----|

I strongly urge you to change the status from "we don't know whether to
provide this" to "we must provide this."

Because:

   We have good reason to believe implementing asynchronous
   request/response over HTTP transport is not too difficult.
   Our experience with distributed trading systems forces us to recognize
   that maintaining synchronous request/response over more than one arc of
   a network graph reduces scalability and stability.
   Conversely, our experience with Java Message Service and other
   asynchronous protocols shows that asynchronous request/response is more
   scalable and more stable.
   As soon as web services federate, systems will inevitably be maintaining
   request/response conversations across multiple arcs of network graphs.
   Therefore, if asynchronous message exchange patterns are not available
   to the client API, SCALABILITY AND RELIABILITY WILL BE ADVERSELY, AND
   STRONGLY, HIT.

Please consider that the dynamic proxy technology that you are currently
using in Axis can also be turned to account for managing asynchronous

To my mind, the PRIMARY requirement is a definition of asynchronous

the system manager.

Re: Axis and asynchronous RPC

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Michael,

Do you have a patch? Can you send us a patch against the current CVS? :)

We really welcome any feedback, but patches, bug-fixes are much better appreciated, since Axis
just like other Apache projects are a community effort :)

Thanks,
dims

http://auctions.yahoo.com