Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2013/02/22 21:10:33 UTC

Heads-up! Branching 0.96 (actually 0.95) this weekend

I will branch this weekend.  The branch will be called 0.95 rather than
0.96.  The notion -- suggested in the past and brought up again at this
weeks dev powwow --  is that we'll put out a 0.95.0 soon and mark it
not-for-production use so folks have something to try early.  We might do
more 0.95.x releases than just the one.  We did something similar with the
0.89 set of releases that preceded 0.90.

When we think APIs and wire-format sufficiently stabilized, we'll then cut
a 0.96 from the 0.95 branch and release 0.96.0, etc., from here on out.

You all good w/ this?
Yours,
St.Ack

Re: Heads-up! Branching 0.96 (actually 0.95) this weekend

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.
I'm +1 for branching sooner rather than later, (it was supposed to happen
today?)  and with the numbering scheme.  It will cause some pain for
committers with things in flight, but it always will for something, and as
long as this stuff gets in soon it isn't too onerous.

Jon.

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: Heads-up! Branching 0.96 (actually 0.95) this weekend

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
bq. to put the 0.95/0.96 branch off until, when?

As Elliot indicated, HBASE-7012 'Move classes into hbase-client' should go
in. That, in turn, depends on RPC / Cell serialization to stabilize a
little bit.

Maybe branch after these patches go in ?

Again, just my personal assessment.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
I am generally fine with branching.

Looking at the blocker / critical bug list for 0.96, the number of such
issues (39 as of writing of this email) increased compared to a few days
ago.
People marked their JIRAs this way so that their work gets picked up for
0.96

Considering that all the fixes for these issues would be integrated twice
once branching happens, I wonder if there should be a short buffer before
branching so that some of these high priority fixes can go in.

Just my two cents.

Posted by Nicolas Liochon <nk...@gmail.com>.
Ok. I have some in progress jiras to be backported then. Not a big deal.

Have a nice day,

Nicolas

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the proposal, including, branching, and the branch names.

Enis

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Great!

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Heads-up! Branching 0.96 (actually 0.95) this weekend

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Nicolas Liochon <nk...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
All the big code moves are done.  Let me branch now.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.