Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Eugene Bekker <eu...@hotmail.com> on 2002/08/25 03:44:20 UTC

Trimmed down JSTL for JSP 1.1

Hello,

I was wondering if there was any current effort going on for back-porting
the Jakarta Standard Taglib to run under JSP 1.1?  Obviously this would be
only a partially compliant port of JSTL as it depends on several new
additions specific to the Servlet 2.3/JSP 1.2 specs.

Based on this mailing list's archive, I saw some mention of interest, and
someone mentioned a cursory attempt at porting an incomplete "EA" version
back in Nov of last year (ref the thread "JSTL/Standard not really JSP
1.1?"), but last mention was back in May.

I've been using the JSTL tags extensively in several projects, but one of my
recent projects is constrained to JSP 1.1 and I wanted to stay within the
standard set as much as possible.  I made a quick attempt to port over the
JSTL code back to 2.2/1.1 and so far it's been promising, but before moving
forward I wanted to make sure I wasn't duplicating work.

Re: Trimmed down JSTL for JSP 1.1

Posted by Thomas Colin de Verdière <td...@scort.com>.
I can help you if you want

--
Thomas Colin de Verdière
SCORT

Re: Trimmed down JSTL for JSP 1.1

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
On Sat, 24 Aug 2002, Eugene Bekker wrote:

> I've been using the JSTL tags extensively in several projects, but one of my
> recent projects is constrained to JSP 1.1 and I wanted to stay within the
> standard set as much as possible.  I made a quick attempt to port over the
> JSTL code back to 2.2/1.1 and so far it's been promising, but before moving
> forward I wanted to make sure I wasn't duplicating work.

As far as I know, there's no work in progress [or at least publically in
progress] porting JSTL to 1.1. While there was talk of it a while back, I
don't think anyone wanted to commit themselves until JSTL itself was
released and the specification stopped changing.

I can't see why there'd be any negative views to a JSTL port at Jakarta.
It makes a lot of sense even if it is a limited life project.

Hen