Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com> on 2014/04/30 22:49:47 UTC

First stab at Next Steps article

I had 3 hours here at the airport so I took at stab at writing content for the Next Steps document. You can find (and edit) the document here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uJ5qXqQxK2oh1eZPgMdYuhK2rQTB7QMHXUHbkcomWgk/edit#

The main thing missing now (imo) is the Upgrade section. I think with that added - this is in a good place (at least initially).

Thoughts, opinions, etc?

Any volunteers ready to write out the upgrade section?

RE: First stab at Next Steps article

Posted by Lisa Seacat DeLuca <ld...@us.ibm.com>.
This document looks great.  I like the idea of having a single place for
advice on performance and improving app development in general.  It might
be nice to have a section on jQuery specific Cordova improvements.  For
example, this article:
http://demos.jquerymobile.com/1.1.0/docs/pages/phonegap.html touches on
tricks developers can use for Cordova apps using jQuery.

I don't really like how in the closing section we point people to the
phonegap google group despite us trying to grow our presence on
StackOverflow.  My vote would be to remove that section of the document.
If someone really wants to find the phonegap google group or needs an
answer they can't find on stackoverflow they can probably find it on their
own by googling.  But promoting the Phonegap google group seems to go
against what we're working for as far as name recognition with Cordova
(already had a discussion about this for the main site and the conclusion
was to remove phonegap).  Not to mention all of the "apache way" reasons
it's a no-no.

That being said, love the idea behind this document.  Once it's pushed to
the doc site let me know and I'll pull into Crowdin for our translators!

Lisa

Lisa Seacat DeLuca
Mobile Engineer | t: +415.787.4589 | ldeluca@apache.org | |
ldeluca@us.ibm.com | lisaseacat.com | |

From:   Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>
To:     "dev@cordova.apache.org" <de...@cordova.apache.org>
Date:   05/05/2014 04:34 PM
Subject:        RE: First stab at Next Steps article

PR submitted. ICLA submitted.
Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Mike Billau <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.
I'm going to turn off shared access - just while I do my review review (in case folks try to load it up).

Yes, I'm mad you did this work for me. ;)

I'm a bit behind so this is perfect, thank you. I still plan on checking over things today and seeing if it is ready to submit to Cordova for the initial doc. Thanks!

Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.

Posted by "Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon)" <v-...@microsoft.com>.
Great write-up! Please consider adding the following resource in the appropriate doc place. Browsers engines become more and more standards compliant but we still live in -webkit and -ms world, so me personally plus many other devs found out this article super valuable when developing cross browser apps.

Adapting your WebKit-optimized site for Internet Explorer
http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/wpdev/archive/2012/11/15/adapting-your-webkit-optimized-site-for-internet-explorer-10.aspx

Thx!
Sergey
Posted by Mike Billau <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
Mike,

--
Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

Re: First stab at Next Steps article

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Kerri Shotts <ke...@photokandy.com>.
Awesome work thus far, and a good idea to have, imo. Getting to "hello,
world" is great, but having a jumping-off point for how to proceed after
that fact would be very beneficial.

I added a few comments to the document, and also contributed some sections
on upgrading projects/plugins and testing. If anything there is too much
detail, wrong, or not desired in this document, feel free to remove as
needed. :-)

If an ICLA is needed for what I added, one is on its way. I've been meaning
to send one anyway, but time keeps getting away from me!

___________________________________
Kerri Shotts
photoKandy Studios, LLC

On the Web: http://www.photokandy.com/

Social Media:
          Twitter: @photokandy, http://twitter.com/photokandy
          Tumblr: http://photokandy.tumblr.com/
          Github: https://github.com/kerrishotts
                        https://github.com/organizations/photokandyStudios
          CoderWall: https://coderwall.com/kerrishotts

Apps on the Apple Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/photokandy-studios-llc/id498577828

Books:
          http://www.packtpub.com/phonegap-2-mobile-application-hotshot/book
          http://www.packtpub.com/phonegap-social-app-development/book

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.
Terence, this too, smells like a good FAQ detail. To me, this document is more of a guide for things that a Cordova dev would need to know after getting past the basic Hello World.

(Not saying my view on this is right, just how I see it.)
we use namespaces for that. anything under org.apache.cordova is maintained
by apache cordova

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
we use namespaces for that. anything under org.apache.cordova is maintained
by apache cordova

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Terence M. Bandoian <te...@tmbsw.com>wrote:

> From a relative newcomer's point of view, should some distinction be made
> between plugins officially maintained by Apache Cordova and those that are
> not?
>
> -Terence
>

> On 4/30/2014 4:40 PM, Andrew Grieve wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 5:28 PM, Josh Soref <js...@blackberry.com>
>> wrote:

>>> QMHXUHbkc

>>> Personally, I favor ether pads / pirate pads.
>>>
>>>  The main thing missing now (imo) is the Upgrade section.

>>> I like it.
>>>
>>>  Any volunteers ready to write out the upgrade section?
>>>>
>>> I don't want to set up a Google account at work, but
>>>
>>>  FYI - you don't need an account to edit a doc that's made "editable via
>> those with the link" (as this one is).
>>
>>  1. Please don't mention WebSQL.
>>> 2. The offline/online event is not a great indicator, it's a hint, but it
>>> can be misleading. People need to try a connection (XHR) to their
>>> destination, if it works, great, if it doesn't that's it. If I'm in a
>>> captive portal, or if I'm in an office, I can easily not have access to
>>> your backend, even though I do have some form of "network access".
>>> 3. For Debugging, on BlackBerry 10, you get web inspector out of the box.
>>> https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/v2_0/
>>> enabling_web_insp
>>> ector.html
>>> https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/v2_0/
>>> debugging_using_w
>>> eb_inspector.html
>>>
>>> 4. I think we decided to favor stack overflow over google groups
>>> 5. s/you simulator the accelerometer to test shake events/you simulate

Posted by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com>.
 From a relative newcomer's point of view, should some distinction be

Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.
Personally, version control feels more like something that should in a FAQ than this doc, but this isn't my call, if you feel like it should be added, do it. :)

Should we add a section about version control? I see that question asked
from time to time: "What should I be checking in?", this could also be
expanded to tips for working on a team (what happens when one person uses
OSX and the other Windows) - although that is a more advanced use case.
Maybe we can change the "Handling Upgrades" section to "Handling Source
Code and Cordova Upgrades."

Posted by Mike Billau <mi...@gmail.com>.
Looks awesome Ray, thanks a lot for taking this on!

I really like the SAP architecture section, I think that is probably one of
the biggest challenges new developers will face. I think we should include
some links to more in-depth discussions about SAP though, so I will try to
add some today. (I know that Carlos was working on http://spajs.io - it
looks dead but for example the architecture page looks pretty good:
http://spajs.io/pages/app-arch/index.html)

Should we add a section about version control? I see that question asked
from time to time: "What should I be checking in?", this could also be
expanded to tips for working on a team (what happens when one person uses
OSX and the other Windows) - although that is a more advanced use case.
Maybe we can change the "Handling Upgrades" section to "Handling Source
Code and Cordova Upgrades."

I added a note at the top that the document isn't prescriptive - echoing
Michael Brooks' thoughts in the origional JIRA item (CB-677).

I like it a lot so far, great job!

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
I get the sense I'm walking into a trap but I feel like its important to
keep the story straight here. Cordova facilitates building apps with web
technologies. Our original motivation was to give web technology a better
than fighting chance to overcome fragmented proprietary treadmills.

Apps have an advantageous position because they get installed by a
deliberate user action they enjoy a different security model than the open
web. The web sandbox is a feature: it is not a bug but device apis and to a
lesser extent app store distribution are compelling advantages.

The original intent of the thing now called Cordova was to level the
playing field, offer a future forward polyfill for emergent standards, and
to vet those standards in a faster-than-normal implementation. Ideally apps
authored in Cordova run in a browser. (A browser of today or the future.)
These goals for most of the committership have not changed. We're here to
help prove out web standards, paint over proprietary runtimes, to help
facilitate web technology to continue its advancement.

Web standards don't actually have much to do with browser development.
Implementations by vendors participate in the standards process but all
these lines are rather blurry and sort of outside the point. The point is
the web is crucial societal infrastructure. We need to keep the web open,
free, and accessible to all.

Posted by Freak Show <fr...@me.com>.
Publish, or write?

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Posted by "Wolf, Michael J" <mi...@KPMG.com>.
Well said.

I get the sense I'm walking into a trap but I feel like its important to keep the story straight here. Cordova facilitates building apps with web technologies. Our original motivation was to give web technology a better than fighting chance to overcome fragmented proprietary treadmills.

Apps have an advantageous position because they get installed by a deliberate user action they enjoy a different security model than the open web. The web sandbox is a feature: it is not a bug but device apis and to a lesser extent app store distribution are compelling advantages.

The original intent of the thing now called Cordova was to level the playing field, offer a future forward polyfill for emergent standards, and to vet those standards in a faster-than-normal implementation. Ideally apps authored in Cordova run in a browser. (A browser of today or the future.) These goals for most of the committership have not changed. We're here to help prove out web standards, paint over proprietary runtimes, to help facilitate web technology to continue its advancement.

Web standards don't actually have much to do with browser development.
Implementations by vendors participate in the standards process but all these lines are rather blurry and sort of outside the point. The point is the web is crucial societal infrastructure. We need to keep the web open, free, and accessible to all.

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Freak Show <fr...@me.com> wrote:

> You write software that bypasses web browser security models and
> punches holes in the sandbox.  How does that "support the web"?
>
> That's a good useful thing considering how badly the web "standards"
> people have mismanaged browser development over the last ten years.
>
> On May 1, 2014, at 10:42 AM, Shazron <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Interesting that you are here to tell us what we are all about. We
> > know what we are about, we've been doing it every day for years.
> > What you are talking about is currently the means, not the goal.

> route
> >>>

> >> No you're not. You're here to bypass browser limitations to provide
> access
> >> to features the web doesn't think you need.  SQLite in the browser
> >> is
> very
> >> useful.  In my case, essential.

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in the governing KPMG client engagement letter.

Re: First stab at Next Steps article

Posted by Freak Show <fr...@me.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
unsubscribe

@purplecabbage
risingj.com

Posted by Freak Show <fr...@me.com>.

Posted by Freak Show <fr...@me.com>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Freak Show <fr...@me.com>.
I'm kind of "software is politics - screw the man" that way. ;-)

And I'm not really interested in working on cordova core but I'll write plugins all day as long as it is easy to do and the apis stay stable and browser limitations are in my way.

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Freak Show <fr...@me.com>.
On May 1, 2014, at 8:47 AM, Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com> wrote:

> 1. Please don't mention WebSQL.
> RKC: Heh, well, it *works*, but yeah, ok, removed to make it more generic.

Why?  None of my apps work without it.

I only care about ios and android and websql is there.  The day they remove it I will replace it with a pair of phonegap plugins and sqlite.  I think other platforms should have this capability too FWIW.  To me - phonegap is the ultimate "screw you" to the squabbling web browser companies.  We will route around you if you get in our way.

Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.
Replies with RKC.
1. Please don't mention WebSQL.
RKC: Heh, well, it *works*, but yeah, ok, removed to make it more generic.

2. The offline/online event is not a great indicator, it's a hint, but it
can be misleading. People need to try a connection (XHR) to their
destination, if it works, great, if it doesn't that's it. If I'm in a
captive portal, or if I'm in an office, I can easily not have access to
your backend, even though I do have some form of "network access".

RKC: I'm going to add a bit of text to ensure folks know it isn't perfect, and mention the XHR suggestion, but the big point I think is doing *something*.

3. For Debugging, on BlackBerry 10, you get web inspector out of the box.
https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/v2_0/enabling_web_insp
ector.html
https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/v2_0/debugging_using_w
eb_inspector.html

RKC: Not to diminish BB, but I added a final subsection called Other Options and used this as a bullet. I assume we can just add more there. If folks feel this should be a top level item in the section, go ahead. :)

4. I think we decided to favor stack overflow over google groups
RKC: I think both have merit though. If folks feel strongly I can swap em.

5. s/you simulator the accelerometer to test shake events/you simulate the
accelerometer to test shake events/
— this last one means you should introduce the document to WinWord and ask
it for an opinion :).

RKC: Nod, will do a grammar check before we officially hand this off to - whomever - to integrate. Actually - I have an official editor via Adobe for my blog - I may be able to use him.

Re: First stab at Next Steps article

Posted by Josh Soref <js...@blackberry.com>.
Ray Camden wrote:
> I had 3 hours here at the airport so I took at stab at writing content
> for the Next Steps document. You can find (and edit) the document here:
>
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uJ5qXqQxK2oh1eZPgMdYuhK2rQTB7QMHXUHbkc
>omWgk/edit#

Personally, I favor ether pads / pirate pads.

> The main thing missing now (imo) is the Upgrade section.
> I think with that added - this is in a good place (at least initially).
>
> Thoughts, opinions, etc?

I like it.

Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.
I like his article - but don't think jQM is as bad as others do. (Disclaimer - I wrote a book on jQM.)
Interesting choice to both link Brock’s “you half-assed it” article *and* list jQM first in the list of UI libs...

:)

Re: First stab at Next Steps article