Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Jerm <je...@media.demon.co.uk> on 2000/01/26 12:38:43 UTC

bugoon

Hi,

I am getting to the point where I can start work on Bugoon.

I first want to sort out the basic plan of the software, functionality, data
model etc.

This ought to happen in an 'ideal' way, as pointed out by Ricardo Rocha :

On 20/1/00 at 6:52 am, ricardo@apache.org (Ricardo Rocha) wrote:

>0) "Retrofit" Bugzilla from the forms you ripped off by applying
>    entity-relationship modelling. Identify entities (bug, platform,
>    servlet engine), domains (status, priority, severity), attributes
>    (summary, keywords) and relationships (assigned-to, dependent
>    bug(s)).
>
>1) Retrofit a state model from Bugzilla's "Bug's Life Cycle". Identify
>    initial state, valid transitions, events triggering transitions,
>processes
>    associated with events, etc
>
>2) Derive an SQL database schema from this entity-relationship
>    model. Rules for this transformation are straightforward: entities
>    map to tables, domains to check constraints, attributes to columns,
>    relationships to foreign keys and intersection tables, etc.

[etc]

Reading this makes me think that Ricardo has said everything that needs to be
said, I just don't know what all of it means ;-)

Can anyone suggest some good reading I can do to get up to speed on this?

If this is indeed going to be a worthwhile "testbed for a dynamic XML
development methodology" we gotta do it right, and I will need some help at this
stage (plus probably most of the others :)

Is there anyone with the time and knowledge of this stuff who can help?

Thanks

Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre

   <ma...@mac.com>     		 <http://www.media.demon.co.uk>
    <phone:+44.[0].207.737.6831>        <pa...@sms.genie.co.uk>

Re: bugoon

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
On 26/1/00 at 6:14 pm, stefano@apache.org (Stefano Mazzocchi) wrote:

>Ouch. Pretty new to database technology aren't you? If you don't know
>what an E-R model is, I suggest you to read a good book on information
>systems and DBMS. I have a nice italian one, but I don't know any good
>english book (or web tutorial) for that. Anyone? Ricardo?

Ha! I have used databases for about 15 years without coming across them ;-)
Or maybe I know what it all means but just not the terminology ...

>I think I have the knowledge, but time... no, I don't. But I downloaded
>all possible OSS web-based bug-tracking tools (bugzilla, gnats,
>jitterbug, sourceForge) and I'll try to come up with a general ER model
>that covers all needs.
>
>But I can't tell you when... :(

Thanks, Stefano, but I am going to learn this stuff, OK?
Yes, I'd like some help now and then but ... please don't worry about spending
your time on basic stuff like this.

I'll put something together over the next couple of days, then you can see how
much help I'll need ;-)

regards Jeremy

      Jeremy Quinn                                             media.demon
                                                           webSpace Design
     <ma...@media.demon.co.uk>       <http://www.media.demon.co.uk>
      <phone:+44.[0].207.737.6831>          <pa...@sms.genie.co.uk>

Re: bugoon

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Jerm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am getting to the point where I can start work on Bugoon.
>
> I first want to sort out the basic plan of the software, functionality, data
> model etc.
>
> This ought to happen in an 'ideal' way, as pointed out by Ricardo Rocha :
>
> On 20/1/00 at 10:12 am, ricardo@apache.org (Ricardo Rocha) wrote:
>
> >Personally (god forgive me!) I'm interested in it fundamentally as a
> >testbed for a dynamic XML development methodology as well as to
> >test XSP's capabilities as a dynamic tag processing language.
>
> On 20/1/00 at 6:52 am, ricardo@apache.org (Ricardo Rocha) wrote:
>
> >0) "Retrofit" Bugzilla from the forms you ripped off by applying
> >    entity-relationship modelling. Identify entities (bug, platform,
> >    servlet engine), domains (status, priority, severity), attributes
> >    (summary, keywords) and relationships (assigned-to, dependent
> >    bug(s)).
> >
> >1) Retrofit a state model from Bugzilla's "Bug's Life Cycle". Identify
> >    initial state, valid transitions, events triggering transitions,
> >processes
> >    associated with events, etc
> >
> >2) Derive an SQL database schema from this entity-relationship
> >    model. Rules for this transformation are straightforward: entities
> >    map to tables, domains to check constraints, attributes to columns,
> >    relationships to foreign keys and intersection tables, etc.
>
> [etc]
>
> Reading this makes me think that Ricardo has said everything that needs to be
> said, I just don't know what all of it means ;-)

Ouch. Pretty new to database technology aren't you? If you don't know
what an E-R model is, I suggest you to read a good book on information
systems and DBMS. I have a nice italian one, but I don't know any good
english book (or web tutorial) for that. Anyone? Ricardo?

> Can anyone suggest some good reading I can do to get up to speed on this?
>
> If this is indeed going to be a worthwhile "testbed for a dynamic XML
> development methodology" we gotta do it right, and I will need some help at this
> stage (plus probably most of the others :)
>
> Is there anyone with the time and knowledge of this stuff who can help?

I think I have the knowledge, but time... no, I don't. But I downloaded
all possible OSS web-based bug-tracking tools (bugzilla, gnats,
jitterbug, sourceForge) and I'll try to come up with a general ER model
that covers all needs.

But I can't tell you when... :(

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: bugoon

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Jerm wrote:

> Reading this makes me think that Ricardo has said everything that needs to be
> said, I just don't know what all of it means ;-)

First thing to do is sketch out a list of data needed to characterize a
bug. Look to bugzilla for inspiration.

- donald