Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> on 2010/11/09 14:14:34 UTC

[OT] Plat_Forms web development platform comparison

Dear Tapestry Users,

Plat_Forms [1] is a contest and competition in which top-class teams of three programmers compete to
implement the same requirements for a web-based system within two days, using different technology
platforms (e.g. Java, .NET, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, or what-have-you).

Plat_Forms' purpose is to provide new insights into the real (rather than purported) pros, cons, and
emergent properties of each platform. The evaluation will analyze many aspects of each solution,
both external (usability, functionality, reliability, security, performance, etc.) and internal
(structure, modularity, understandability, flexibility, etc.).

A first (smaller) execution of Plat_Forms in 2007 with only 9 teams was successful and was well
received. The details were both published in Communications of the ACM [2] and IEEE Transactions on
Software Engineering [3], two of the most renowned journals on software engineering and computer
science, and also in . We now want to expand this to 24 teams, 4 teams for each of 6 platforms.

For the second execution in January 2011 in Nürnberg, Germany, we are searching for participating
teams as well as for representatives for the respective platforms that help us find those teams. We
are also looking for experts that want to help us during the evaluation.

You can read the details of Plat_forms at [1] and [4]. If you are willing to participate with a team
of 3 developers please fill in the form mentioned in [4]. Even if you don't want to participate,
please spread the word and forward this to people who might be interested.

You can reply to this thread (I'll monitor it) or email me directly if you've got further questions.

Uli

[1] http://www.plat-forms.org
[2] http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/prechelt/Biblio/platforms07-cacm-2010.pdf
[3] http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/prechelt/Biblio/platforms07-tse-2010.pdf