Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/11 08:02:59 UTC

community testing

CloudStack Dev,
    I was emailed about some of the testing questions I brought up
over the last few threads, and a few things were pointed out to me
that I think we should try to remedy.  Primarily, that the testing
environment is owned by Citrix, the QA team is primarily Citrix-run,
and the testing done is focused on the use models that Citrix
develops.
    I've been assured that the test infrastructure is for everyone,
and I'm not at all trying to say that there's a problem with Citrix
focusing their work on their own interests, but I'm not sure that
anyone outside of Citrix really knows how to add their own stuff to
this testing infrastructure (perhaps for lack of trying, I don't
know).
    I haven't really put together enough thought to know how to tackle
this, but my gut tells me that we need some sort of community-owned
testing roll-up, where everyone can do their own testing in whatever
infrastructure and submit hourly, daily, weekly results. If my test
fits into the Citrix test infrastructure and I can figure out how to
get it there, great. If not, I can roll my own and integrate it via
some API. For example the SolidFire guys may wan to run automated
regression testing. That probably won't be doable in the Citrix
infrastructure, but they may want to script a daily
git-pull/build/deploy zone/create volume and it seems logical that
we'd want to support it.
    Thoughts? Anyone have experience with such things? Can we have a
master/slave scenario with Jenkins? Perhaps the Citrix environment
already supports something like this via Jenkins API?

Re: community testing

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.
If a test is meddling with the infrastructure then we have two

1. isolate the test and run it separately when other tests aren't
running
2. prepare a deployment with those nfs storage preconfigured.

It can be difficult to always get the infra right for a test so tests
often will skip themselves if they run in unsuitable infrastructure.
So yes - its never going to be 100% automatable.

--
Prasanna.,

------------------------
Powered by BigRock.com

RE: community testing

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
I'm certainly interested.

Re: community testing

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: community testing

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

RE: community testing

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Re: community testing

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: community testing

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.

--
Prasanna.,

------------------------
Powered by BigRock.com

Re: community testing

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
I guess I was unaware that the test infrastructure tests various
deployment configs from the ground up, rebuilding from baremetal (I
guess?).  I was initially thinking "We already test KVM, let me just
run two commands on the host to set up a volume group, then tweak the
marvin test  to register it as a primary storage and put a loop in to
do volume tests for each registered primary storage". The test infra
sounds much more advanced than what I was thinking, and probably
harder to adjust. At any rate, I do think that having a devcloud-type
basic sanity check for our support matrix would be relatively little
work and provide a lot of benefit in catching some of these big holes
in testing prior to creating an RC.

Re: community testing

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

--
*Mike Tutkowski*
e: mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com
o: 303.746.7302
Advancing the way the world uses the
*™*

Re: community testing

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: community testing

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.

--
Prasanna.,

------------------------
Powered by BigRock.com

Re: community testing

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: community testing

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: community testing

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
Yeah, that would be fantastic if I could test the SolidFire plug-in in such
a way.

I could probably get away with a virtual storage node, as well, because I'm
not testing anything that requires the real hardware.

Re: community testing

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: community testing

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.