Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by kazuaki banzai <ka...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/14 12:27:13 UTC

I need help to fix bugs

Dear all,

I have reported the bug of asynchronous setACL(
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-2439).

Zookeeper guarantees sequential consistency: updates from a client will be
applied in the order that they were sent.
However,  the order of asynchronous setACL is not correct on Ubuntu.
When asynchronous setACL is called BEFORE another API is called,
asynchronous setACL is applied AFTER another API.

This bug always occurs on Linux Ubuntu 14.04, and sometime on Mac OS X.
I don't have much knowledge about the implementation of zookeeper, and I
have no idea about the cause of the bug.

Also, I have reported the bug of the exception inside a transaction(
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-2496).

If a client tries to execute some illegal operations inside a transaction,
ZooKeeper throws an exception.
Some exceptions such as NodeExistsException should have a path to indicate
where the exception occurred.
ZooKeeper clients can get the path by calling method getPath.
However, this method returns null if the exception occurs inside a
transaction.

When an error occurred in a transaction, ZooKeeper creates an ErrorResult
instance to represent error result.
However, ErrorResult doesn't have a filed for the path where an error
occurred
(See src/java/main/org/apache/zookeeper/OpResult.java for more details).

As I read the code, we have to change many parts of code across multiple
files, and the change may affects other functions.

I'd appreciate if someone would fix these bugs or give some advice.

Regards

Kazuaki

Re: I need help to fix bugs

Posted by Edward Ribeiro <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hello Kazuaki,

I've commented on ZOOKEEPER-2496. Please, check if the issues are indeed
the same, so that we can get the help of any committer to review and merge
Arshad's patch.

Best regards,
Eddie