Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Aleksei Wolff <al...@yahoo.com> on 2003/01/17 23:23:15 UTC

[users@httpd] httpd start at boot time.

Hello.  Newbie question.

Whats the best way to get httpd to start at boot time?

Does anybody have a sample script?

I was thinking creating a httpd script with the simple
words /etc/sbin/apachectl start and making it part of
rc3.d.  Does that sound about right or am I way off?

Thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] httpd start at boot time.

Posted by "Kenny G. Dubuisson, Jr." <kd...@kcmria.com>.
Instead of criticizing people's posts...why not post something constructive?
This script works for me perfectly so there is nothing "silly" about it.
Kenny

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by "Kenny G. Dubuisson, Jr." <kd...@kcmria.com>.
Here is part of a doc I wrote with my startup script and links on a Red Hat
Linux 7.3 system:
k. Created an auto-start script named apache in the /etc/rc.d/init.d
directory with the following contents:
#!/bin/sh
case "$1" in
   start)
      echo -n "Starting Apache: "
      /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start
      echo
      ;;
   stop)
      echo -n "Stopping Apache: "
      /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl stop
      echo
      ;;
   restart)
      $0 stop
      $0 start
      ;;
   *)
      echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
      exit 1
esac
exit 0
l. Created startup (S99apache) and shutdown (K99apache) symbolic links in
the /etc/rc.d/rc5.d directory.
m. Rebooted to check the availability of Apache.  It was running (checked
via http://localhost).

Hope this helps,
Kenny

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Aleksei Wolff wrote:

> Hello.  Newbie question.
>
> Whats the best way to get httpd to start at boot time?
>
> Does anybody have a sample script?
>

> I was thinking creating a httpd script with the simple
> words /etc/sbin/apachectl start and making it part of
> rc3.d.  Does that sound about right or am I way off?

The answer to this question depends on the OS, which you haven't
specified.

But apachectl is itself a SysV-style init script.  So usually you can
simply symlink that script into the appropriate directory to get apache
going at startup.

Joshua.