Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1995/10/18 22:59:24 UTC

Re: I know this has nothing to do with Apache but...

> They have a lot of nice features.  Their biggest problem lies with
> scalability.  Since every server knows about all the documents in every
> server it is easy to maintain consistency, and provide link maps, but
> it just doesn't scale well.

Yep, that matches my evaluation as well.  Some of the basic technology
is good (they learned a lot from the early Web mistakes) but they
fail to grasp the concept of scale (and, to a lesser extent, extensibility).
Aside from being link-server based, the Hyper-G project has been
centered almost exclusively within Graz and does not have the same
tradition of openness.

However, their biggest problem is their refusal to accept that
the Web is bigger than Hyper-G can handle.  I think Hyper-G would make
a great software development environment or organizational repository,
but the link-server design prevents the robustness and complete
distributability of the Web.  They could also make it a good server
management environment, were it not for their insanely stupid idea
of including client state in every URL sent by their gateway.

Note also that these people are behind the "Web Society" thingy
(along with the Gopher folks).

.....Roy