Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Michael A. Smith" <ma...@apache.org> on 2002/08/09 01:11:57 UTC

RE: [collections][pattern] Predicate, Transformer, Closure/Comman d, Factory

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Jack, Paul wrote:
> Well, in theory I'm not against [collections] depending
> on [pattern].  But I think it'd have to happen after the
> 2.1 collections release -- unfortunate, as we'd then be
> adding an interface to collections we intend to deprecate
> later.
>
> But there are projects that are blocking on a new release
> of Collections, and since [pattern] is still in the sandbox,
> I wouldn't want those projects to wait until [pattern]
> goes through all the promotion steps.  I also wouldn't want
> to rush the promotion of [pattern], to make sure it has ample
> time to gestate.

I agree with Paul here...

> So my thinking is:
>
> collections 2.1 -- no pattern dependency
> collections 2.x -- pattern dependency

collections 3.0 more like it.  Adding a dependency is a non-backwards
compatible change (at least in my mind).

michael

Re: [collections][pattern] Predicate, Transformer, Closure/Comman d, Factory

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
I am happy with these answers. Its what I expected :-)

What would help for a future integration would be the following changes to
[collections]:

- Rename SimpleObjectFactory to Factory
- Remove PredicateUtils (the part that returns predicates) - although useful
to collections, it is not core collections functionality, better to not have
it at all.

This will minimise problems for the future in my eyes.

Stephen

From: "Michael A. Smith" <ma...@apache.org>

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>