Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Byrne, David" <Da...@cambridge-na.com> on 2006/07/17 18:05:07 UTC

Merging two repositories

I wondered if anyone has done anything like this before.  I have two
repositories that are separate right now, but I would like to join them.
I know that I can dump each of the repositories and load them into a new
repository, but I would like the revision numbers to be date-ordered.
One of the repositories contains source code and the other contains the
"distributables" for the application.  So what I want to do is load them
into a new repository that has both with each under different directory
structures.  I thought about writing a python script that would
calculate the order of the current revisions and that would dump using a
filter on the revision number.  It would then load each dump in commit
date order.  This seems like a good deal of work and I thought that
maybe someone else had already done this.  Does anyone have any ideas or
suggestions?

Thanks,

David Byrne

Re: Merging two repositories

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 17, 2006, at 20:05, Byrne, David wrote:

> I wondered if anyone has done anything like this before.  I have
> two repositories that are separate right now, but I would like to
> join them.  I know that I can dump each of the repositories and
> load them into a new repository, but I would like the revision
> numbers to be date-ordered.  One of the repositories contains
> source code and the other contains the “distributables” for the
> application.  So what I want to do is load them into a new
> repository that has both with each under different directory
> structures.  I thought about writing a python script that would
> calculate the order of the current revisions and that would dump
> using a filter on the revision number.  It would then load each
> dump in commit date order.  This seems like a good deal of work and
> I thought that maybe someone else had already done this.  Does
> anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Someone has already done this. :-)

http://www.thehirts.net/blog/?page_id=24