Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by John Calvin <ag...@hotmail.com> on 1998/07/24 02:37:32 UTC

os-windows/2683: Apache 1.3.1 totally ignores the existence of .htaccess files

>Number:         2683
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       Apache 1.3.1 totally ignores the existence of .htaccess files
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I just upgraded from apache 1.3b7 to 1.3.1 and now my htaccess files
are totally ignored.  Apache gives access to the directory and all files
within it without any sort of authentication window or dialogue.  It is
like there isn't even an htaccess file there. My old version 1.3b7 had no
problems recognizing the existence of an htaccess file.  It would pop up
the Authentication window like normal.
>How-To-Repeat:
Be sure to be using Win98
Upgrade to apache 1.3.1
Place a .htaccess file in your htdocs directory.

This is the text in my htaccess file:
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Secured Site"
AuthUserFile .htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
<Limit GET POST>
require user someuser
</Limit>

Now just type in http://your_address_here.com/
and it will let you in without an authentication window.  You can
place the .htaccess file wherever you want in whatever directory you want
and the same thing will happen when you go to it.