Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Stuart Robertson <st...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/06 04:50:19 UTC

Stumped on "No such file or Directory" problem...

Couple hours of googling and troubleshooting into this, it's time to ask for
help!

Here's what svn client (1.2.3, bot cygwin and OS X Metissan) says when I
checkout or update:

svn: Can't copy
'property/templates/.svn/tmp/text-base/Propertypricing.tpl.html.svn-base' to
'property/templates/Propertypricing.tpl.html.tmp': No such file or directory

I don't see Propertypricing.tpl.html.svn-base in .svn/tmp/text-base locally,
but I'm not sure if it's talking about my workspace or the svn server. I
actually have no idea where this one comes from, nor do I know how to fix
it.

Any ideas? Saw several posts in newsgroups on this, but nothing I could make
use of.

Sorry for giving such little info. I'm not even sure what is relevant.

Thanks!

Stu

Re: Stumped on "No such file or Directory" problem...

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
(Copying the mailing list since others may want to know that this
solved the problem.)

On Nov 6, 2005, at 20:00, Stuart Robertson wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Nov 6, 2005, at 05:50, Stuart Robertson wrote:
>>
>>> Couple hours of googling and troubleshooting into this, it's
>>> time  to ask for help!
>>>
>>> Here's what svn client (1.2.3, bot cygwin and OS X Metissan)
>>> says  when I checkout or update:
>>>
>>> svn: Can't copy 'property/templates/.svn/tmp/text-base/
>>> Propertypricing.tpl.html.svn-base' to 'property/templates/
>>> Propertypricing.tpl.html.tmp': No such file or directory
>>>
>>> I don't see Propertypricing.tpl.html.svn-base in .svn/tmp/text-
>>> base  locally, but I'm not sure if it's talking about my
>>> workspace or the  svn server.  I actually have no idea where this
>>> one comes from, nor  do I know how to fix it.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?  Saw several posts in newsgroups on this, but nothing
>>> I  could make use of.
>>
>> It is talking about your local working copy, not the server.
>>
>> Can it be that you have two files in property/templates whose
>> names  differ only in case? Propertypricing.tpl.html and
>> propertypricing.tpl.html for example? If so, Mac OS X's default HFS
>> +  filesystem cannot handle that. Check with:
>>
>> $ svn ls http://svn.example.com/path/to/property/templates/
>
> Ryan, thanks!  That was exactly it.  Looking through websvn, I saw
> there were two copies, differing only by cap of the first character
> of the filename.
> Much appreciated.
>
> Btw, is this worth filing a bug report to ask that svn give better
> error messages in this situation?  I'm not going to get bit by this
> one again, but I suspect the next person would appreciate help from
> the svn client.

It comes up pretty often on the list. I'd sure appreciate a better
error message.

To ensure you don't get bit by it again, you can install the check-
case-insensitive pre-commit hook which comes in the Subversion source
distribution. 1.2.3 includes a Perl version, but the Python version
to be in 1.3.0 is supposedly much better so I'd recommend that.

Re: Stumped on "No such file or Directory" problem...

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Nov 6, 2005, at 05:50, Stuart Robertson wrote:

> Couple hours of googling and troubleshooting into this, it's time
> to ask for help!
>
> Here's what svn client (1.2.3, bot cygwin and OS X Metissan) says
> when I checkout or update:
>
> svn: Can't copy 'property/templates/.svn/tmp/text-base/
> Propertypricing.tpl.html.svn-base' to 'property/templates/
> Propertypricing.tpl.html.tmp': No such file or directory
>
> I don't see Propertypricing.tpl.html.svn-base in .svn/tmp/text-base
> locally, but I'm not sure if it's talking about my workspace or the
> svn server.  I actually have no idea where this one comes from, nor
> do I know how to fix it.
>
> Any ideas?  Saw several posts in newsgroups on this, but nothing I
> could make use of.

It is talking about your local working copy, not the server.

Can it be that you have two files in property/templates whose names
differ only in case? Propertypricing.tpl.html and
propertypricing.tpl.html for example? If so, Mac OS X's default HFS+
filesystem cannot handle that. Check with:

$ svn ls http://svn.example.com/path/to/property/templates/

If that's not it, then please confirm: this happens both when you
update an existing working copy and when you create a totally new one?