Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by "Devine, Harry (FAA)" <ha...@faa.gov.INVALID> on 2022/05/06 18:40:21 UTC

Installing ffmeg-devel and tomcat

Are there any repositories for Guacamole that install ffmpeg-devel and tomcat that are United States only?  We've had to tighten up our firewalls and we are not permitted to access non-US repositories.  So we can no longer install new Guacamole instances because the install process is having us install EPEL and RPMFusion RPMs, and those seem to be going to Denmark and Canada.

Thanks,
Harry

Harry Devine
Secure-OSE System Administrator
Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA)
Work: (609) 485-4218
FAA Cell:  (609) 612-7274
Home Office/Telework: (609) 547-3579

RE: Installing ffmeg-devel and tomcat

Posted by Sean Hulbert <sh...@securitycentric.net.INVALID>.
Have your admin add the url(s) to a greylist, and inform him/her this is how most repos work in the world, to minimize the ssl(tls) packet overhead in bandwidth for page load to downloads/uploads.  Unless they are super junior and don't understand why ssl(tls) is used for, this shouldn't be an issue. Https doesn't stop viruses or malicious code execution, it's meant to encrypt communication of sensitive data, personal information, logins credentials.Best of luck with your admin, and hope I gave enough information on the differences of http and https for you to bring to your network admin.Also like to point out that http is still allowed in CMMC and DFARs as well as NIST 800s when no login or sensitive data is being processed. That is like saying the sites need an ECA certificate. Alternatively you can build a private repository for internal use and validate new packages in a devsecops sandbox as they are release.  SeanSent by Android Ai hijacked INS communications 6G
-------- Original message --------From: "Devine, Harry (FAA)" <ha...@faa.gov.INVALID> Date: 5/10/22  5:21 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: user@guacamole.apache.org Subject: RE: Installing ffmeg-devel and tomcat

There is a need when our network admins block http going out and only allow https.

Harry

Posted by "Devine, Harry (FAA)" <ha...@faa.gov.INVALID>.

www.securitycentric.net<http://www.securitycentric.net/>
A Cybersecurity Enablement Company
We don't just run you through the motions, Our labs teach you how to think!

 [logo-acad400]

Posted by "Devine, Harry (FAA)" <ha...@faa.gov.INVALID>.
OK, no problem.  I did find that I can change http to https and it hits the mirror as https, but I have other dependency issues.  I’ll keep looking.

Thanks,
Harry

I am, and there are 4, and all 4 are http, not https.  In fact, all of the mirrors (including other countries) are http only.  Strange that in 2022 these mirrors aren’t https.

Okay, but this project/community doesn't control those mirrors, so, if you need HTTPS, you'll have to reach out to the maintainers of those pages. I don't have any inside information - I'm looking at exactly the same thing you are looking at.

-Nick

Re: Installing ffmeg-devel and tomcat

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Devine, Harry (FAA)" <ha...@faa.gov.INVALID>.