Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Melvin Mah <me...@yahoo.com> on 2006/09/28 04:02:37 UTC

Entity Enclosing Requests

I am currently using HttpClients v3.0.1 and I just
tried writing a class that utilizes a POST method.

This class allows inserting of username and password
for a website (as parameters) such as SCOPUS, Emerald,
etc.. and then once it logs into the website's
database, the page will be redirected to a subpage in
which I can perform my search queries.

For that purpose, I've put in a line -

method.setFollowRedirects

but upon running the program,
I get the message that 'Entity Enclosing Requests'
cannot be redirected without user intervention.

I understand that this is in violation with RFC 2616
but somehow I need to redirect it to a subpage. Any
workarounds behind this obstacle is very much appreciated.

Re: Entity Enclosing Requests

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hello Melvin,

> The question is can I just simply reuse the last half
> of PostMethod in LoginDemo (modified) and just adding
> new NameValuePair variables? Do I have to modify
> anything substantially?

That totally depends on the server application. You should
first try to make it as simple as possible. If that doesn't
work, the primer explains how to proceed:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-httpclient/ForAbsoluteBeginners

cheers,
  Roland

Re: Entity Enclosing Requests

Posted by Melvin Mah <me...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Oleg,

I just referred back to LoginDemo - one of the samples
for HTTPClient - to test the Redirect and changed a
little using some parameters for the site Engineering
Village.

Now that the login status is successful, I want to
entering a key term and then EV will redirect to
another page and send me the results based on the
keyword I would enter.

Currently, the pointer link is at
/Servlet/Controller/CID?=quicksearch&database=1.
(after login)

The link shown after the search results are returned
would be at:

The question is can I just simply reuse the last half
of PostMethod in LoginDemo (modified) and just adding
new NameValuePair variables? Do I have to modify
anything substantially?

Thanks

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/redirects.html

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.