Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2005/02/25 17:50:20 UTC

We are now a TLP guys!!! (FW: ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005)

Peeples,

It's official! We are now a Apache TLP project.

Greg Stein wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>This email is to provide a quick summary of the Board's meeting yesterday.
>Official meeting minutes will be posted once they are reviewed and
>approved by the Board at a future meeting. In the meanwhile, this email
>serves to provide a basic heads-up summary of the Board's actions (which
>may affect you and what you do at the Foundation).
>
>In any case, it is pretty short:
>
>  * We established the Apache Directory Project. This project has been the
>    Incubator for a while, and has now graduated to its own top-level
>    project. Alex Karasulu is the new Vice President / PMC Chair.

<snip/>

Congratulations to everyone who has worked hard to make this project
what it is today.  I'm very proud of everyone and honored to be working
with such a personable and talented bunch of OS developers.

Now the really hard work is ahead of us.  The user community will
probably grow very rapidly once the word is out and we are setup at
http://directory.apache.org.  This is what we wanted so let's give them
a great set of products they can trust and depend on.

Cheers,
Alex Karasulu

Re: We are now a TLP guys!!! (FW: ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005)

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <ad...@toolazydogs.com>.
Congrats Alex and the team!

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:50:20 -0500, Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> It's official! We are now a Apache TLP project.

Congrats to everyone involved!

Bruce
);'
The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: We are now a TLP guys!!! (FW: ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005)

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:50:20 -0500, Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Peeples,
>
> It's official! We are now a Apache TLP project.
>
> Greg Stein wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >This email is to provide a quick summary of the Board's meeting yesterday.
> >Official meeting minutes will be posted once they are reviewed and
> >approved by the Board at a future meeting. In the meanwhile, this email
> >serves to provide a basic heads-up summary of the Board's actions (which
> >may affect you and what you do at the Foundation).
> >
> >In any case, it is pretty short:
> >
> >  * We established the Apache Directory Project. This project has been the
> >    Incubator for a while, and has now graduated to its own top-level
> >    project. Alex Karasulu is the new Vice President / PMC Chair.
> >

> <snip/>
>
> Congratulations to everyone who has worked hard to make this project
> what it is today.  I'm very proud of everyone and honored to be working
> with such a personable and talented bunch of OS developers.
>
> Now the really hard work is ahead of us.  The user community will
> probably grow very rapidly once the word is out and we are setup at
> http://directory.apache.org.  This is what we wanted so let's give them
> a great set of products they can trust and depend on.

Congratulations!!!!!!  and lets make this project better on and on!

I'm already excited. :)

> Cheers,
> Alex Karasulu

Cheers,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/

Re: We are now a TLP guys!!! (FW: ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005)

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:46:45 -0500, Enrique Rodriguez
<er...@apache.org> wrote:
> > I wrote the announcement based on the previous one.  Please read this
> > and tell me whatever needs improvement or is out of date. :)
>
> 1)  I would introduce the product name (ApacheDS), in the 2nd paragraph:
>
> "Our primary vision is to build an enterprise directory server platform
> (ApacheDS) ..."
>
> 2)  Spellcheck:
>     a)  annouces --> announces
>     b)  Fouindation --> Foundation
>
> 3)  SEDA is no longer in use anywhere, and even though this PR doesn't
> coincide with the 0.9 release, we should stop mentioning it.  Perhaps:
>
> * Powered by MINA, a powerful framework for building Internet protocol
> servers.

Oops, I've overwritten while copying and pasting! :)

Here's the modified version:

-------- BEGIN --------
Subject: The Apache Directory Project Exits Incubator

The Apache Directory team proudly announces the Apache Directory
project graduated incubation under the Apache Software Foundation
(ASF) according to the ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005.

Our primary vision is to build an enterprise directory server platform
(Apache Directory Server) and its components where other Internet
services snap in to store their data within the directory so they may
be managed using LDAP. Those services include LDAP itself, DNS, DHCP,
SLP, UDDI, NTP, and most importantly Kerberos, which can integrate
with the services to provide full-featured network authentication
service.

Features of Apache Directory Server:

* Designed as an LDAP and X.500 experimentation platform.
* The server exposes all aspects of administration via a special system backend.
* Both the backend subsystem and the frontend are separable and
independently embeddable.
* Provides a server side JNDI LDAP provider which directly interacts
with the backend storage.
* Powered by MINA, a powerful framework for building Internet protocol servers.

Coming soon:
* Remote management via JMX.
* Java-based triggers and stored procedures.

The Apache Directory team is looking for developers and users to work
with the server and give feedback.  Mailing list information is at:

Check the Apache Directory project at: http://directory.apache.org/

The Apache Software Foundation provides organizational, legal, and
financial support for a broad range of open source software projects.
The Foundation provides an established framework for intellectual
property and financial contributions that simultaneously limits
contributors potential legal exposure. Through a collaborative and
meritocratic development process, Apache projects deliver
enterprise-grade, freely available software products that attract
large communities of users.
-------- END -------

I used Apache Directory Server instead of ApacheDS according to the
recent discussion about its official name.

Cheers,
Trustin.
http://gleamynode.net/

Re: We are now a TLP guys!!! (FW: ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005)

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Enrique Rodriguez wrote:
>> I wrote the announcement based on the previous one.  Please read this
>> and tell me whatever needs improvement or is out of date. :)
>

> 1)  I would introduce the product name (ApacheDS), in the 2nd paragraph:
>
> "Our primary vision is to build an enterprise directory server platform
> (ApacheDS) ..."
>
> 2)  Spellcheck:
>     a)  annouces --> announces
>     b)  Fouindation --> Foundation
>
> 3)  SEDA is no longer in use anywhere, and even though this PR doesn't
> coincide with the 0.9 release, we should stop mentioning it.  Perhaps:
>
> * Powered by MINA, a powerful framework for building Internet protocol
> servers.

Is it true that the *ideas* in SEDA are no longer present in the
architecture?

Phil

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <er...@apache.org>.

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 19:18:07 -0500, Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com> wrote:
> I would personally recommend striking the "most importantly" in front of
> Kerberos.

Yes, it looks a little bit awkward.  But the integration of LDAP
server and Kerberos server is quite an important feature.  WDYT?
Could we make this sentence more natural?

> I would also change "directory server platform" to "directory services
> platform"

Good idea.

> Trustin Lee wrote:
> > Hi,

> >>Thanks Justin.  I'll start working with Noel on getting the site upto
> >>directory.apache.org.  Meanwhile I guess we can begin composing it if
> >>you like while running it by everyone on the list.  Then when the site
> >>is ready we can decide to pull the trigger on posting it to TSS and to
> >>slashdot.  So exciting!
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>Alex
> >>

> > I wrote the announcement based on the previous one.  Please read this
> > and tell me whatever needs improvement or is out of date. :)
> >
> > -------- BEGIN --------
> > Subject: The Apache Directory Project Exits Incubator
> >
> > The Apache Directory team proudly annouces the Apache Directory
> > project graduated incubation under the Apache Software Fouindation
> > (ASF) according to the ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005.
> >
> > Our primary vision is to build an enterprise directory server platform
> > and its components where other Internet services snap in to store
> > their data within the directory so they may be managed using LDAP.
> > Those services include LDAP itself, DNS, DHCP, SLP, UDDI, NTP, and
> > most importantly Kerberos, which can integrate with the services to
> > provide full-featured network authentication service.
> >
> > Features of ApacheDS:
> >
> > * Designed as an LDAP and X.500 experimentation platform.
> > * The server exposes all aspects of administration via a special system backend.
> > * Both the backend subsystem and the frontend are separable and
> > independently embeddable.
> > * Provides a server side JNDI LDAP provider which directly interacts
> > with the backend storage.
> > * Powered by Staged Event Driven Architecture (SEDA) which can handle
> > large amounts of concurrency.
> >
> > Coming soon:
> > * Remote management via JMX.
> > * Java-based triggers and stored procedures.
> >
> > The Apache Directory team is looking for developers and users to work
> > with the server and give feedback.  Mailing list information is at:
> >
> > Check the Apache Directory project at: http://directory.apache.org/
> >
> > The Apache Software Foundation provides organizational, legal, and
> > financial support for a broad range of open source software projects.
> > The Foundation provides an established framework for intellectual
> > property and financial contributions that simultaneously limits
> > contributors potential legal exposure. Through a collaborative and
> > meritocratic development process, Apache projects deliver
> > enterprise-grade, freely available software products that attract
> > large communities of users.
> > -------- END --------
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Trustin

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/

Re: We are now a TLP guys!!! (FW: ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005)

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
+1

http://gleamynode.net/

Re: We are now a TLP guys!!! (FW: ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005)

Posted by Brennan Stehling <of...@gmail.com>.
All good points which should weigh strongly.

It does make good sense to let momentum build and then come up with a
name at the 1.0 if it seems it would benefit the project.

--
Brennan Stehling : http://brennan.offwhite.net/blog/

Re: We are now a TLP guys!!! (FW: ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005)

Posted by Brennan Stehling <of...@gmail.com>.
It means a small group of people.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=covey

- Brennan

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@iktek.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@iktek.com>.
Le jeudi 03 mars 2005 à 10:28 +1100, Brett Porter a écrit :

> For the benefit of those who weren't involved at that point or who, like
> me, have a short memory - we've been there already.
>
> Here is a sumary of the reasons for the current name:
> - - The existing name, Eve, had trademark concerns as did many others
> within the project.
> - - Anything LDAPish is out because the scope of the server goes beyond
> LDAP.
> - - There is already a strong brand in Apache, so there is not a great
> need to develop a new one
> - - Many of the names don't convey what the product is: Apache Directory
> Server does. This would hamper recognition.
>
> I personally don't feel another name change is going to bring a benefit,
> but it would have the following detriments:
> - - some poor sucker would need to trawl subversion -again- and change
> all the site references, artifact names, directories, etc.
> - - lose any recognition already gained from the 0.8 release
> - - have to delay going public on the TLP until the name can be properly
> considered, checked and implemented.
>
> I wouldn't be adverse to a name change later if it is felt that will
> strengthen the recognition of the product without any harm, and
> something comes up that meets all the criteria above, but I think a
> better time for that is probably around a 1.0 mark where there is
> already momentum. But I also think sticking with Apache Directory Server
> is just fine as well.
>
> Hope this helps.

+1 !

Let's go back to tests and patches and improvements ...

Re: We are now a TLP guys!!! (FW: ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005)

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brennan Stehling <of...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <sh...@yahoo.com>.
+1 to "Apache Directory Server" on all branding, documentation, etc.
with my PRC hat on.

And as fitz notes, -1 to using "Apache Tribe" - too confusing, not
necessary.

- Shane

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Phil Steitz wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
>> From: Brett Porter [mailto:brett@apache.org]
>>

>>> I was under the impression [that "Apache Directory Server"] would
>>> the be the name it went by, and that ApacheDS was just shorthand
>>> and used for filenames, etc.
>>

>> Same here.
>>
>>     --- Noel
>

> I agree.
>
> Phil

Yep I agree too.  Let's use Apache DIrectory Server for the product
name.  We just use apacheds for short as the email prefix and the svn
subversion directory for the server core.

Alex

Re: We are now a TLP guys!!! (FW: ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005)

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> From: Brett Porter [mailto:brett@apache.org]
>

>>I was under the impression [that "Apache Directory Server"] would
>>the be the name it went by, and that ApacheDS was just shorthand
>>and used for filenames, etc.
>

> Same here.
>
> 	--- Noel

I agree.

Phil

RE: We are now a TLP guys!!! (FW: ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
From: Brett Porter [mailto:brett@apache.org]

> I was under the impression [that "Apache Directory Server"] would
> the be the name it went by, and that ApacheDS was just shorthand
> and used for filenames, etc.

Same here.

	--- Noel

Re: We are now a TLP guys!!! (FW: ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005)

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: We are now a TLP guys!!! (FW: ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005)

Posted by Stephane Bailliez <sb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brennan Stehling <of...@gmail.com>.
I am not sure how I would pronounce that. :)

Posted by Stephane Bailliez <sb...@apache.org>.
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

>What about LDAPache ?

Held-A-Patchy

eheh, that's a funny one. :o)

Re: We are now a TLP guys!!! (FW: ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005)

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@iktek.com>.
Le mercredi 02 mars 2005 à 16:23 -0600, Brennan Stehling a écrit :
> We should brainstorm on a good brand name which works well.
>
> Here are my initial thoughts along the Tribes/Group concept found with
> a thesaurus...
>
> Apache Covey
> Apache Progeny
> Apache Clique
> Apache Troupe

What about LDAPache ?

Re: We are now a TLP guys!!! (FW: ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005)

Posted by Stephane Bailliez <sb...@apache.org>.
Brennan Stehling wrote:

>Apache Clique
>Apache Troupe

Please no. Those are french names and they are quite funny :)
'Troupe' is mostly related to a company in the artistic sense, mostly actors
'Clique' means generally a bunch of mates, it's kind of negative.

Re: We are now a TLP guys!!! (FW: ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005)

Posted by Brennan Stehling <of...@gmail.com>.
I wear a tie and like "Apache Tribe" but it may not be taken as
seriously like other Apache projects which have great names like
Cocoon, Struts and Lucene.  I think that "Apache Directory Server"
does explain exactly what it is but does not do much as a brand name.
It sounds little dull actually while many Apache projects have more
exciting names like Geronimo.

We should brainstorm on a good brand name which works well.

Here are my initial thoughts along the Tribes/Group concept found with
a thesaurus...

Apache Covey
Apache Progeny
Apache Clique
Apache Troupe

And they could be placed in the logo as...

Covey - The Apache Directory Server

- Brennan

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@apache.org>.
El mié, 02-03-2005 a las 11:03 -0800, susan wu escribió:
> I recommend you use the full name "Apache Directory Server" as this
> leads
> to the least amount of confusion as to what you are referring to.

How about a nick such as "Apache Tribe"? It looks appropriate for a
Directory Server, in a sense, though it would be better for "Groupware"
or Calendaring stuff.

I'm not sure if it will stick in Enterprise (i.e. tie monkey)
environments, though.

Regards
--
VP and Chair, Apache Portals (http://portals.apache.org)

Posted by Stephane Bailliez <sb...@apache.org>.
susan wu wrote:

> I recommend you use the full name "Apache Directory Server" as this
> leads to the least amount of confusion as to what you are referring to.

I second that, "Apache Directory Server" makes things explicit and
you're most likely to change to a war name later on.
ApacheDS looks like a datasource reference in a J2EE environment to me :)

What about a logo contest ?

Re: We are now a TLP guys!!! (FW: ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005)

Posted by susan wu <su...@arctic.org>.

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
<fi...@red-bean.com> wrote:
> [...]

> > large amounts of concurrency.
> >
> > Coming soon:
> > * Remote management via JMX.
> > * Java-based triggers and stored procedures.
> >
> > The Apache Directory team is looking for developers and users to work
> > with the server and give feedback.  Mailing list information is at:
> >
> > Check the Apache Directory project at: http://directory.apache.org/
> >
> > The Apache Software Foundation provides organizational, legal, and
> > financial support for a broad range of open source software projects.
> > The Foundation provides an established framework for intellectual
> > property and financial contributions that simultaneously limits
> > contributors potential legal exposure. Through a collaborative and
> > meritocratic development process, Apache projects deliver
> > enterprise-grade, freely available software products that attract

Thanks,
Trustin.
http://gleamynode.net/

Re: We are now a TLP guys!!! (FW: ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005)

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Sunday, February 27, 2005 1:24 AM +0900 Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:50:20 -0500, Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Peeples,
>
> It's official! We are now a Apache TLP project.
>
> Greg Stein wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >This email is to provide a quick summary of the Board's meeting yesterday.
> >Official meeting minutes will be posted once they are reviewed and
> >approved by the Board at a future meeting. In the meanwhile, this email
> >serves to provide a basic heads-up summary of the Board's actions (which
> >may affect you and what you do at the Foundation).
> >
> >In any case, it is pretty short:
> >
> >  * We established the Apache Directory Project. This project has been the
> >    Incubator for a while, and has now graduated to its own top-level
> >    project. Alex Karasulu is the new Vice President / PMC Chair.
> >

> <snip/>
>
> Congratulations to everyone who has worked hard to make this project
> what it is today.  I'm very proud of everyone and honored to be working
> with such a personable and talented bunch of OS developers.
>
> Now the really hard work is ahead of us.  The user community will
> probably grow very rapidly once the word is out and we are setup at
> http://directory.apache.org.  This is what we wanted so let's give them
> a great set of products they can trust and depend on.
>
> Cheers,
> Alex Karasulu

I want to anounce this to TheServerSide.com and SlashDot.  Would
announcing this kind of news (exiting incubation) to those sites be
appropriate?

Thanks in advance,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/