Posted to dev@deltacloud.apache.org by Sang-Min Park <sa...@eucalyptus.com> on 2011/02/08 19:41:17 UTC

Eucalyptus integration plan

Hi folks,

It's been a while since we described our plan for the Eucalyptus integration
with deltacloud. We wanted to wait until Michal's great work on ec2 driver
reimplementation is finalized. We hoped that the 'aws' gems and ec2 driver
would work for Eucalyptus without or with minimal patches (as it was the
case for the previous driver with amazon-ec2 gems).

However it turns out there is a couple issues that we have to resolve:

·        The current Eucalyptus release doesn't support filtering/tagging,
which is now widely used by ec2 driver.

·        Eucalyptus allows users to define instance types (hardware
profiles) while ec2 driver hard-code them.

·        Eucalyptus' front end URL has port number, which is not correctly
parsed through API_PROVIDER.

So, we made our plan to implement and maintain our own eucalyptus driver.
The approach here would be to fork the current ec2 driver and modify
(minimally) it such that it can correctly speak to Eucalyptus backend. At
this stage, I don't think we need to make patches to appoxy's aws gems, but
if that's necessary, I'll coordinate with anyone who's involved. Also, we
have a plan to write Eucalyptus cucumber test (probably by forking from the
ec2 cucumber) and to integrate it with our internal QA system. This way
we'll make sure whenever deltacloud or Eucalyptus has a new release, they
continue to work. We'll commit cached messages as a result of the test.

Ok, that was the plan. If you have any feedback or questions, please let me
know.

I'm very excited to see that dcloud is making great progress now!

Thanks!

Sang-min

Sang-Min Park

Software Engineer, Eucalyptus Systems, Inc.

6755 Hollister Avenue | Goleta, CA | 93117
Office: 805-845-8000 (+9038) Cell: 434-825-4939
email: spark@eucalyptus.com

http://www.eucalyptus.com