Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Julian Wood <wo...@ucalgary.ca> on 2007/04/02 21:53:03 UTC

Re: Configure buildnumber and Subversion/Subclipse

It probably has something to do with how you've set up your
subversion repository on a network drive. I've never tried it like
that, so I can't say whether or not your scm config is correct. My
scm config looks like this and works fine.

     <scm>
         <connection>scm:svn:http://apollo.ucalgary.ca:8800/
timesheets/trunk</connection>
         <developerConnection>scm:svn:http://apollo.ucalgary.ca:8800/
timesheets/trunk</developerConnection>
         <url>http://apollo.ucalgary.ca/websvntimesheets/listing.php?
repname=timesheets&amp;rev=0&amp;sc=0&amp;path=/trunk</url>
     </scm>

There is nothing else special on the buildnumber side needed - it
just uses whatever you've configured in your pom (if it can).

Check out http://maven.apache.org/scm/scm-url-format.html and http://
maven.apache.org/scm/subversion.html. Might be as simple as using a
pipe instead of a colon.

Also verify that maven can reach your subversion repository with some
other plugin (ie. release, changelog).

--
Julian Wood <wo...@ucalgary.ca>

Software Engineer
Teaching & Learning Centre
University of Calgary

http://tlc.ucalgary.ca

Re: Configure buildnumber and Subversion/Subclipse

Posted by Julian Wood <wo...@ucalgary.ca>.
Hi Pankaj,

I don't think there is a dependency problem - maven would have
reported any such error. That part all looks fine to me. It's still
just not finding your scm, as you surmise. Maybe someone who is using
an scm configured like yours could pipe up?

Did you try doing a mvn release:prepare (without the buildnumber)? Do
you get the same error?

On 2-Apr-07, at 4:02 PM, Pankaj Tandon wrote:

> [...]
>> subversion repository on a network drive. I've never tried it like
>> that, so I can't say whether or not your scm config is correct. My
>> scm config looks like this and works fine.
>>
>>      <scm>
>>          <connection>scm:svn:http://apollo.ucalgary.ca:8800/
>> timesheets/trunk</connection>
>>          <developerConnection>scm:svn:http://apollo.ucalgary.ca:8800/
>> timesheets/trunk</developerConnection>
>>          <url>http://apollo.ucalgary.ca/websvntimesheets/listing.php?
>> repname=timesheets&amp;rev=0&amp;sc=0&amp;path=/trunk</url>
>>      </scm>
>>
>> There is nothing else special on the buildnumber side needed - it
>> just uses whatever you've configured in your pom (if it can).
>>
>> Check out http://maven.apache.org/scm/scm-url-format.html and http://
>> maven.apache.org/scm/subversion.html. Might be as simple as using a
>> pipe instead of a colon.
>>
>> Also verify that maven can reach your subversion repository with some
>> other plugin (ie. release, changelog).

>> On 30-Mar-07, at 8:29 AM, Pankaj Tandon wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>> We need to incoporate build numbers into our codebase and so
>>> started looking
>>> at the buildnumberr plugin. It looks great and works fine if we
>>> configure it
>>> to spit out an incremental number like so:
>>>       <configuration>
>>>         <doCheck>false</doCheck>
>>>         <doUpdate>false</doUpdate>
>>>          <format>{0,number}</format>
>>>          <items>
>>>            <item>buildNumber0</item>
>>>          </items>
>>>       </configuration>
>>>
>>> However, for the real thing we want it to integrate with
>>> Subversion. We are
>>> using Subclipse for our SVN client.
>>>
>>> To do so, we are not able to configure buildnumber to use our scm.
>>> Specifically, the instructions here:
>>> http://commons.ucalgary.ca/projects/maven-buildnumber-plugin/
>>> howto.html
>>> do NOT state what exactly is the scm configuration that needs to be
>>> set in
>>> the POM.
>>>
>>> Our Subversion repository is installed on  a network drive.
>>>
>>> I looked here
>>> http://apollo.ucalgary.ca/tlcprojectswiki/index.php/Public/
>>> Project_Versioning_-_Best_Practices
>>> and tried the following in the POM:
>>>
>>>  <scm>
>>>   <connection>file:///X:/repos</connection>
>>>   <developerConnection>file:///X:/repos</developerConnection>
>>>   <url>file:///X:/repos</url>
>>>  </scm>
>>>
>>> but that did not help either.
>>>
>>> I continue to get:
>>> [INFO]
>>> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
>>> [INFO]
>>> [INFO] Cannot get the revision information from the scm repository :
>>> Can't load the scm provider.
>>>
>>> The scm url cannot be null.
>>>

>>> So what am I doing wrong? How do I integrate with Subversion using

Julian Wood <wo...@ucalgary.ca>

Software Engineer
Teaching & Learning Centre
University of Calgary

http://tlc.ucalgary.ca

Re: Configure buildnumber and Subversion/Subclipse

Posted by Pankaj Tandon <pa...@gmail.com>.
Julian,