Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> on 2020/08/17 07:55:46 UTC

Fwd: Maven builds out of control

Hi there
we definitely need to reduce the matrix we have and cleanup branches ...
so I reduced the matrix (no more 14,15)
and only '3.3.x','3.6.x'

Furthermore, we need to clean up unused branches.
What about removing branches older than 1yo?
Then older than 6months?

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
No I agree, it's a long term solution and orthogonal on cleaning our
branches/builds and limiting our usages

If these are static agents the best we could do at the CI level is to
restrict the usage of our builds to a limited number of agents
https://docs.cloudbees.com/docs/cloudbees-ci/latest/traditional-secure-guide/folders-plus#_controlled_agents

Arnaud Héritier
Twitter/Skype : aheritier

Re: Fwd: Maven builds out of control

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
traditional slaves

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.

--
Arnaud Héritier
Twitter/Skype : aheritier

Re: Fwd: Maven builds out of control

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 10:35 AM Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> +infra
>
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 at 4:23 pm, Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> If we are consuming too much resources couldn't we have a dedicated
>> Jenkins
>>
>> controller and/or limit our agents capacities to be the one ones to be
>>
>> impacted by these problems instead of all the users or this Jenkins
>>
>> controller ?
>>
>> Beam, Cassandra, CouchDB and few more have a dedicated controller :
>>
>> https://jenkins-ccos.apache.org/job/masters/
>>
>> What are the rules to have a dedicated one ?

All of those projects got their own master as they are contributing their
own nodes and not using the ASF provided ones

HTH

>> On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 10:02 AM Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>
>> wrote:

>> > I consider branches which have been merged obsolete, but there is no
>>
>> > hard rule that an unmerged branch is obsolete. It may prepresent an
>>
>> > unfished state or something which was not agreed on. Dropping work does
>>
>> > not feel right. It needs to be decided on a case-by-case approach.
>>
>> > I have done this recently for Wagon and Resolver.
>>

>> > Michael

>> --
>>
>> Arnaud Héritier
>>
>> Twitter/Skype : aheritier
>>
>> --
> Olivier Lamy

*Gavin McDonald*
Systems Administrator
ASF Infrastructure Team

Re: Fwd: Maven builds out of control

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+infra

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
If we are consuming too much resources couldn't we have a dedicated Jenkins
controller and/or limit our agents capacities to be the one ones to be
impacted by these problems instead of all the users or this Jenkins
controller ?
Beam, Cassandra, CouchDB and few more have a dedicated controller :
https://jenkins-ccos.apache.org/job/masters/
What are the rules to have a dedicated one ?

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 10:02 AM Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Am 2020-08-17 um 09:55 schrieb Olivier Lamy:
> > Furthermore, we need to clean up unused branches.
> > What about removing branches older than 1yo?
> > Then older than 6months?
>
> I consider branches which have been merged obsolete, but there is no
> hard rule that an unmerged branch is obsolete. It may prepresent an
> unfished state or something which was not agreed on. Dropping work does
> not feel right. It needs to be decided on a case-by-case approach.
> I have done this recently for Wagon and Resolver.
>
> Michael

Arnaud Héritier
Twitter/Skype : aheritier

Re: Fwd: Maven builds out of control