Posted to user@synapse.apache.org by Legolas Woodland <le...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/25 12:20:54 UTC

any news about new version of synapse?

Hi
Thank you for reading my post
Is there any news or plan about new version of apache synapse?
Thanks

Re: any news about new version of synapse?

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Hi
> 1- Initiation and termination of SSL (Mutual authentication, Client
> Certificication...)

Already available - since Synapse 1.0
> 2- Checking digital signature and processing xml encryption.

If you are referring to these through WS-Security (i.e. for SOAP) - its
available since 1.0 - but I would suggest you verify your exact
scenarios to make sure
> Thanks

.. btw.. would be nice to know your real name when replying :-)    I
believe you are using a nick name?

asankha

Posted by Legolas Woodland <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi
I am looking for following features, if they are not present i should raise
a jira .

1- Initiation and termination of SSL (Mutual authentication, Client
Certificication...)
2- Checking digital signature and processing xml encryption.

By the second item i mean that we use Synapse and it handle all encryption/
Digital signature validation related issues.
indeed I want my main services to stay behind Synapse and Synapse encrypt
some elements before sending them out and decrypt them before sending them
to main web services.

Thanks

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Eric

We have all those - just not yet in a release. Some of them (XQuery,
JDBC) might be addons - not sure yet.

We would really appreciate the testing!!!

Paul

On 9/28/07, Eric Nygma <pr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> It would be nice if you added support for the following :
>
> * Additional transports : File, FTP, EMAIL , JDBC . As of now I believe
> Synapse supports communicating with endpoints which talk over HTTP(s) and
> JMS.
> * Support for XQuery
>
> I would be happy to do some testing for the same too.
>
> Regards
> Eric.
>
> On 9/25/07, Asankha C. Perera <asankha@wso2.com > wrote:
> >
> > Yes,..  we are planning to make 1.1 released by end of October
> >
> > If you have any issues you would like fixed, please raise a JIRA and
> > help us test the codebase.
> >
> > thanks
> > asankha
> >
> > Legolas Woodland wrote:
> > > Hi
> > > Thank you for reading my post
> > > Is there any news or plan about new version of apache synapse?
> > > Thanks

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: any news about new version of synapse?

Posted by Eric Nygma <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Asankha,

On 9/28/07, Asankha C. Perera <as...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi Eric
> > I wished for JDBC as a transport to the effect of being able to
> write/read
> > from a database, and poll the database
> > for a change in some table and provide some notification .If the 2
> mediators
> > you mentioned are capable of doing that
> > then that would be great.
> >
> Currently you cannot 'poll' a table with the mediators.. the problem or
> difficulty in writing JDBC as a "transport" is that how you would
> convert a row (or the result of a query which may be a join for example)
> into a "message". If we are to write this as a generic transport I
> believe different users may want to transform a row via multiple ways.

Just thinking aloud ,my thoughts are these ...
To write to a 'JDBC' endpoint ,
1) expose a Proxy endpoint
2) In the proxy wsdl, describe the schema for the output message of the
operation(which denotes the database select update etc query operation)
3) have the implementation of the DB mediators to transform the response to
the schema defined in the proxy wsdl; The proxy wsdl is part of the message
context i believe.

Of course this might work for a simple case.I am not wise enough to think of
compelx cases where this would fail.

And I still have to look into Data Services that you pointed to...

Thanks again,
Eric

It is too late to incorporate this into 1.1 as a transport anyway, but

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Paul
> We could easily use the Alarm support to poll a database. In fact I
> think we can use your JDBC mediator with the MessageInjector.
>
> Basically the message injector will inject a static (fixed) message
> into Synapse at a given schedule. You could then use the JDBC read
> mediator to basically enhance the message with JDBC data. Then direct
> it to any follow up mediator or send it out.
>
> Thoughts?

Yep.. this sounds like something that could be done easily.. we will
consider this as a sample for inclusion into the documentation

asankha

Re: any news about new version of synapse?

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Asankha

We could easily use the Alarm support to poll a database. In fact I
think we can use your JDBC mediator with the MessageInjector.

Basically the message injector will inject a static (fixed) message
into Synapse at a given schedule. You could then use the JDBC read
mediator to basically enhance the message with JDBC data. Then direct
it to any follow up mediator or send it out.

Thoughts?
Paul

On 9/28/07, Asankha C. Perera <as...@wso2.com> wrote:
> Hi Eric
> > I wished for JDBC as a transport to the effect of being able to write/read
> > from a database, and poll the database
> > for a change in some table and provide some notification .If the 2 mediators
> > you mentioned are capable of doing that
> > then that would be great.
> >
> Currently you cannot 'poll' a table with the mediators.. the problem or
> difficulty in writing JDBC as a "transport" is that how you would
> convert a row (or the result of a query which may be a join for example)
> into a "message". If we are to write this as a generic transport I
> believe different users may want to transform a row via multiple ways.
>
> It is too late to incorporate this into 1.1 as a transport anyway, but
> if you require this functionality, I could point you to Data Services -
> these are services that essentially transform JDBC queries into a
> service you can then invoke (see http://wso2.org/library/2617,
> http://wso2.org/library/2631) Couple this with the new "Job" support
> that Synapse now offers for scheduling tasks, and I believe you will be
> able to build this same functionality for your requirements!
>
> asankha

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: any news about new version of synapse?

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Hi Eric

Posted by Eric Nygma <pr...@gmail.com>.
On 9/28/07, Asankha C. Perera <as...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi Eric
> > * Additional transports : File, FTP, EMAIL , JDBC . As of now I believe
> > Synapse supports communicating with endpoints which talk over HTTP(s)
> and
> > JMS.
> >
> I have already checked in a file/ftp/sftp etc transport based on Apache
> VFS. I need to send them a patch which I believe could be finished off
> next week for this segment to call 'complete'. As for email, we already
> do have support and we will begin QA testing next week in preparation
> for the 1.1 release. As for JDBC, we have added two new mediators
> DBLookup and DBReport - as we have not implemented JDBC as a transport.

I wished for JDBC as a transport to the effect of being able to write/read
from a database, and poll the database
for a change in some table and provide some notification .If the 2 mediators
you mentioned are capable of doing that
then that would be great.

Regards
Eric.

If you have a good use case that shows the importance of JDBC as a
> transport please do share with us for consideration. But I believe these
> two new mediators adds quite good supports to integrate with JDBC
> systems for lookup/auditing etc.
> > * Support for XQuery
> >
> AFAIK Indika has written a XQuery mediator, which should be added next
> week again - this is not yet available on the SVN but everything I
> mentioned in the previous paragraph is now available.
> > I would be happy to do some testing for the same too.
> >
> This is great to hear! and we also need to update our documentation and
> add new samples etc to demonstrate the new features and enhancements
> thats going into 1.1.

Would really love the documentation and the samples.

Thanks
Eric.

I hope to cut an initial QA release next week for

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Hi Eric
> * Additional transports : File, FTP, EMAIL , JDBC . As of now I believe
> Synapse supports communicating with endpoints which talk over HTTP(s) and
> JMS.

I have already checked in a file/ftp/sftp etc transport based on Apache
VFS. I need to send them a patch which I believe could be finished off
next week for this segment to call 'complete'. As for email, we already
do have support and we will begin QA testing next week in preparation
for the 1.1 release. As for JDBC, we have added two new mediators
DBLookup and DBReport - as we have not implemented JDBC as a transport.
If you have a good use case that shows the importance of JDBC as a
transport please do share with us for consideration. But I believe these
two new mediators adds quite good supports to integrate with JDBC
systems for lookup/auditing etc.
> * Support for XQuery

AFAIK Indika has written a XQuery mediator, which should be added next
week again - this is not yet available on the SVN but everything I
mentioned in the previous paragraph is now available.
> I would be happy to do some testing for the same too.

This is great to hear! and we also need to update our documentation and
add new samples etc to demonstrate the new features and enhancements
thats going into 1.1. I hope to cut an initial QA release next week for

Posted by Eric Nygma <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.