Posted to users@jena.apache.org by "Craig, R Bruce, JR (Bruce)" <br...@alcatel-lucent.com> on 2011/10/25 22:18:12 UTC

Struggling to Launch Jena/TDB and some benchmarks

Our team has downloaded the latest release of TDB for some preliminary efforts to migrate to triple stores from SMW mysql etc.

We ran into performance issues with MySQL so the options around doing some benchmarks are potentially critical for us.
We have been simply doing tdbload operations on various small OWL and RDF sets.
We'd been able to query pretty well as we might have expected with tdbquery.

We've loaded a large/huge dataset from the Social Intelligence Benchmark (SIB) and while the load seemed to complete, efforts to run tdbquery as well as tdbdump all blow up with Heap limits.   We've got 4GB ram allocated on our Ubuntu 9.10 VM system but haven't gotten things to run even after adjusting JVM_ARGS to -Xmx2400m

Any more blog references to pursue to get us going ?

TIA
Bruce

R. Bruce Craig, M.D.
Applications Research Domain
Bell Labs Research
bruce.craig@alcatel-lucent.com<ma...@alcatel-lucent.com>
ENTP

Re: Struggling to Launch Jena/TDB and some benchmarks

Posted by Dave Reynolds <da...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 2011-10-25 at 15:18 -0500, Craig, R Bruce, JR (Bruce) wrote:
> Our team has downloaded the latest release of TDB for some preliminary efforts to migrate to triple stores from SMW mysql etc.
>
> We ran into performance issues with MySQL so the options around doing some benchmarks are potentially critical for us.
> We have been simply doing tdbload operations on various small OWL and RDF sets.
> We'd been able to query pretty well as we might have expected with tdbquery.
>
> We've loaded a large/huge dataset from the Social Intelligence Benchmark (SIB) and while the load seemed to complete, efforts to run tdbquery as well as tdbdump all blow up with Heap limits.   We've got 4GB ram allocated on our Ubuntu 9.10 VM system but haven't gotten things to run even after adjusting JVM_ARGS to -Xmx2400m

Is that a 32bit or 64bit VM and Java?

Which Java - OpenJDK?  Oracle? Is it up to date?
(Ubuntu 9.10 is pretty old and I guess its possible its using an
obsolete OpenJDK, I've had significant problems with OpenJDK in the past
though at present it seems usable).

Do your queries require sorting/distinct?

For non-sorted queries I would certainly expect to be able to run
tdbquery in less than 1G of heap on very large datasets. For sorted
queries there had been various scaling limits but if you are running off
the latest snapshots then you'll have the spill-to-disk fixes for that
included.

Dave