Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by James Dixson <ja...@cisco.com> on 2008/07/31 18:16:57 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Etch

This a proposal to enter Etch in to the incubator.

See http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/EtchProposal for updates.

In particular, we are looking for an interested Champion.

We welcome any and all comments. :-)

--
James Dixson

-----proposal-----
= Abstract

Etch is a cross-platform, language- and transport-independent framework for
building and consuming network services.

= Proposal

Etch is a cross-platform, language- and transport-independent framework for
building and consuming network services. The Etch toolset includes a network
service description language, a compiler, and binding libraries for a
variety of programming languages. Etch is also transport-independent,
allowing for a variety of different transports to used based on need and
circumstance. The goal of Etch is to make it simple to define small, focused
services that can be easily accessed, combined, and deployed in a similar
manner. Ultimately with Etch, service development and consumption becomes no
more difficult than library development and consumption.

= Background

Etch was started because we wanted to have a way to write a concise, formal
description of the message exchange between a client and a server, with that
message exchange supporting a hefty set of requirements. The messaging
technology should support one-way and two-way, real-time communication. It
should have high performance and scalability. I should support clients and
servers written in different languages. It should also support
clients/servers running in a wide range of contexts (such as thin web
client, embedded device, PC application, or server). It must support anyone
adding new language bindings and new transports. It should also be fast and
small, while still being flexible enough to satisfy requirements. Finally,
it must be easy to use for developers both implementing and/or consuming the
service.

= Rationale

Existing systems were either too slow, hard to use, bloated and/or
proprietary. In any case, none fit our matrix of requirements perfectly.

SOAP/Web Services offer an interesting comparison by contrast. While Web
Services are generally accepted as the de facto standard for cross-platform
communication due to strong adoption across many tools and languages, the
unfortunate reality is that Web Services have serious deficiencies which
make them unsuitable for real-time communications. Specifically, Web
Services have no effective way to communicate asynchronously from server to
client due to a reliance on HTTP and have very high parsing overhead due to
XML message bodies. Furthermore, in some deployments, server-to-client
communications are blocked by firewalls. Finally, given any two languages,
it is not likely that they both support every aspect of Web Services
identically, so it is completely possible to create a Web Service that is
not, in fact, cross platform, or language agnostic.

Developers of applications that must leverage the capabilities of
network-hosted services have a daunting challenge. They must cobble together
a heterogeneous collection of services that expose different APIs with
different communications technologies just to integrate with the services,
essentially spending a great deal of energy and effort on just the basics of
inter-service communication rather than core business logic.

So the desired state then is when developing applications that leverage the
capabilities of dispersed and heterogeneous network services, APIs must be
simple, cohesive, and coherent across network services. APIs should be easy
to consume by developers regardless of the implementation technology of the
service used or the domain a service is being built within- from client-side
web applications to complex real-time server systems. Put simply, developers
ideally should feel that they are developing to a platform.

API development is a much better understood and simpler subject if you are
building those APIs to be run _locally_ on a single machine or service.
Microsoft and Linux centric API developers have the luxury of the massive
assumption that a standard OS is available with a certain set of features,
and the API libraries do not have to take into account the complexities of
APIs that cross machine or OS boundaries.

Developers of network-centered services, rather than OS-centered services,
do not have this luxury; we have a significant set of issues facing us today
because of the fundamental fact that "the network" is not a single machine,
or a homogeneous set of machines, but a heterogeneous and widely distributed
set of services.( This is just an observation. 4 paragraphs to make your
point about how difficult it is for developers of network-centered service.
Now, maybe that is appropriate to the audience? You decide.)

The conventional method for developers of network services today is to use
either a technology specific to the language of preference, RMI for Java,
.NET Remoting for .NET for C#, etc., or if trying to be "language neutral"
picking a CORBA ORB or a Web Service technology like SOAP or REST. These
choices are fine until the requirements of the application cannot accept the
limitations of the remoting technology. If the application needs to work on
non-Microsoft platforms, .NET Remoting is out (unless, of course, you can
use the Mono implementation of .NET, but that brings with it other
challenges). If the need is to support access from languages other than
Java, then RMI is out. If the need includes support for real-time,
asynchronous communication, or symmetric two-way communications, the Web
services technologies must also be rejected.

For other classes of applications, there are simply no ³standard² choices
left. The developer is forced to drop down to a network protocol level and
invent a new messaging system for their needs. Building a protocol by hand
is hard; building a messaging system is also hard. This dramatically
increases the barrier to entry for new, useful applications that leverage
network-services.

An orthogonal problem exists when supporting more than one transport
technology is required of the application, e.g. HTTP/SOAP and HTTP/REST or
HTTP/SOAP and a proprietary service protocol. This is also burdensome to the
developer because now two or more distinct technologies must be used to
expose the same interface. This typically means the development and
maintenance of parallel implementations of the service using the
technologies native to the transport mechanism. Often the result here is
that one interface is the complete interface, while others suffer from
various levels of partial or out-of-sync implementation.

What if this was the reality instead: every interface to a network service
could be had via a single, common API technology that 'just works' in every
major language (C#, Java, Python, Ruby, C or even Javascript in a browser).
What if this technology could produce the native stub code needed to do the
networking and message passing (much like Web Services). Then the developer
could concentrate on the business logic of the application or service rather
than the idiosyncrasies of the network plumbing.

As a language and transport independent network API generator, Etch can
provide programmers with a consistent API model to program against while
giving them the ability to redeploy into a variety of languages or
transports at runtime (per developer/customer choice). So, one may use the
same API implementation to send messages using an XML coding on a stream
protocol in Java, or binary coding wrapped in reliable UDP in C#, or a
shared memory queue on a router backplane in C, or even Python over SOAP.
One could, in fact, support all at the same time, and any others that you
care to implement or find, as long as you support the required semantics of
the API.

It all comes down to this: developers should not have to care about the
implementation language or platform of the service nor what the transport is
to get there, as long as basic semantics are honored, and these should be no
more or less than the semantics of your programming language of choice.
Further, a user requirement about specific protocols should not require
rewriting of application logic to make it fit into some arbitrary framework
scheme or container.

= Current Status

== Meritocracy

Etch was conceived by Scott Comer and Louis Marascio. As Scott finished the
development of the core compiler and first transport implementation, others
have made various contributions to the project: James Dixson and Shawn
Dempsey have worked on the build environment; Manoj Ganesan has worked on a
Ruby binding; James Dixson on the Python binding; and James deCocq on the C
binding; Manoj Ganesan and Gaurav Sandhir did primary work on C# and
maintenance work all around. J.D. Liau has been instrumental in ideas and
maintenance. Hung Nguyen has created the Windows installer using NSIS and
Seth Call is working on a JavaScript binding with JSON transport for thin
clients.

== Community

Etch solves problems lots of projects have. Any project that has a need to
define multiple services in a consistent way, or expose services on the
network to a variety of languages or platforms can benefit from Etch as
technology.

== Core Developers

The core developers are all listed in the initial committers list later in
this proposal.

== Alignment

The compiler code is in Java, but the technology is language- and
protocol-agnostic and suitable for many different projects, including
non-Java. The compiler makes use of Apache Ant for orchestrating the build,
and Apache Velocity for code generation.

= Known Risks

== Orphaned Products

We are all quite committed to Etch and the development of an Etch community.
Etch is a core component of shipping Cisco products and will only grow over
time.

Our employer is also committed to the success of the technology, allowing us
to continue to invest our time in support of Etch development as well as
committing to Etch technology as a key component in multiple products.

Etch being orphaned is unlikely.

== Inexperience with Open Source

The group of initial committers has had various levels of interaction with
open-source communities. Most of us came into Cisco through the acquisition
of Metreos in 2006. While at Metreos, Louis Marascio and several of us were
active contributor¹s to the OpenH323 project. We worked through several
bugs, submitted patches and even sponsored development. We have also made
contributions to other projects (some accepted, some not) on a much smaller
scale over the years, QDox, Maruku, Capistrano, OpenGatekeeper, and Mono.

== Homogeneous Developers

Etch has been completely developed by Cisco employees, therefore all of the
initial committers to the project are affiliated with Cisco.

Etch has just recently been made publicly available. First in binary form in
May 2008 as part of a Cisco product and in open source form in July 2008.

== Reliance on Salaried Developers

It is expected that Etch development will be done both on salaried time and
volunteer time. Cisco is committed as a corporate contributor to continue to
allow Etch development, particularly in light of Etch's key role as an
enabling technology of Unified Communications products. It is also expected
that non-Cisco developers will become interested in Etch.

== Relationships with Other Apache Products

Etch currently depends upon these other Apache projects: Velocity, Maven and
Ant.

We expect that as Etch becomes available, it will be seen as a very
compelling technology and others will begin to depend upon it.

== A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand

We believe Etch offers much to the Apache brand. We could easily, with the
backing of Cisco, take a more independent route and support Etch directly
without the Apache foundation. But after much consideration, we truly
believe that would be the wrong approach for this technology.

As a technology, we believe Etch is very much a kindred spirit of the other
software infrastructure technologies currently part of the Apache community:
Ant, Velocity, Derby, and others. The technological niche of Etch--platform
and language agnostic service definition and binding-is a technology that
can be appreciated across a broad range software domains.

It is our view that Apache is simply the most appropriate community for the
kind of technology Etch represents.

= Documentation

No public documents are available yet. All documentation will be released
with the publishing of the source.

= Initial Source

Etch has been in development at Cisco since Jan-2007. The system was
designed from the beginning to be open-sourced.  We consider Etch to be at
release 1.0 and ready for production use.

We continue to develop on Etch aggressively and a continually adding tests
and documentation to accompany the code, in particular around Etch's unique
pluggable architecture.

The compiler and language bindings for Java and C# are working and
functional. Etch will be included in shipping Cisco products in Sept-2008 as
a core technology component.

The language bindings for JavaScript, Python and C are in development.
The Etch development home page is currently hosted a Cisco¹s developer
portal: http://developer.cisco.com/web/cuae/etch . Full source and binary
distributions are available there including access to our public subversion
repository.

= Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan

Apache would receive all source and documentation under the Apache Corporate
Contributor agreement. Cisco is the only license holder.

= External Dependencies

Java, JavaCC and Velocity are core dependencies of the compiler. The Java
language binding depends only on Java.

Ant and Maven are used by the build system.

For the other language bindings we have the following compile/link
dependencies:

C# - Microsoft .NET v2.0 (Mono compatibility coming soon)

= Cryptography

Etch uses the native capabilities of Java and C# to support TLS as an option
for the default Etch binary transport protocol.

= Required Resources

== Mailing Lists

 * etch-private
 * etch-dev
 * etch-commits
 * etch-user

== Subversion Directory

 https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/etch

== Issue Tracking

 JIRA : Etch (ETCH)

== Other Resources

 None

= Initial Committers

Gaurav Sandhir      gsandhir at cisco dot com
J.D. Liau           jliau at cisco dot com
Hung Nguyen       hungng at cisco dot com
James Dixson        jadixson at cisco dot com
James deCocq      jadecocq at cisco dot com
Louis Marascio      lmarasci at cisco dot com
Manoj Ganesan       manogane at cisco dot com
Rene Barazza        rebarraz at cisco dot com
Rick Bolkey         rbolkey at cisco dot com
Scott Comer         sccomer at cisco dot com
Seth Call           secall at cisco dot com
Shawn Dempsay       shawn at dempsay dot com
Shyamali Pease      shpease at cisco dot com
Youngjin Park     youngjpa at cisco dot com

== Affiliations

All the initial committers are Cisco employees.

= Sponsors

== Champion

We need a hero!

== Nominated Mentors

Accepting Applications!

== Sponsoring Entity

Accepting Applications!

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by "scott comer (sccomer)" <sc...@cisco.com>.
thrift had a number of issues as we considered it more than a year ago. we thought, well, we could fix these issues, but as they'd require interface changes then we'd be breaking someone else's code and the fixes would be substantial and then we'd have to negotiate each and every one of them, blah, blah. in the end, it was all too much.

i actually had a fully functional basic etch framework put together (hand built code) when i first checked out thrift (eh, march 2007?). etch was was good enough to be able to compare the two. the comparison was favorable enough to our path (i.e., near parity in performance, way better features) we decided to continue our path rather than suffer thrift negatives.

1) the thrift language is not pretty (i16 instead of short, weird numbering of parameters).
2) thrift compiler is written in c. not easy to bring up.
3) no c# binding.
4) while there is some transport independence, the transport is chosen at compile time. there is no runtime choice for the customer.
5) generated code is not truly transport independent. (e.g., you could not write a generic soap <-> thrift gateway). generated code deals with stream semantics directly, not an abstract idea of message which gives etch a lot of its power and simplicity.
6) the type system doesn't always allow for optional arguments (integer value cannot be passed as null).
7) thrift is not thread safe (or it didn't appear so to me).
8) no extends of structures and exceptions.
9) thrift exceptions are strange.
10) no callbacks.
11) no timeouts.
12) no constants.
13) no object.
14) no enums.
15) no formal comments.
16) no mixin or include.
17) no module.
18) overall interface and implementation flavor is of c++ code ported to java.

thrift does not version services (not in the corba sense). etch doesn't either. they are both alike in that respect.

a common approach to versioning is that you generate a signature for each method or the entire service, and two endpoints will only talk to each other if the signature matches (either method by method or the entire service). this is wrong at either level, as it means you have no upgrade path which doesn't require complete and perfect redeployment of all clients. corba and onc/rpc and dce/rpc fall into this category (as well as languages like c/c++/java/c#). i don't think that soap / web services / xml rpc fall into this model, either.

the thrift/etch/xml model, ignoring small details, are like the original rpc model that cuae was based on: code your method call into what is (more or less) a hashtable, with field/value pairs and then a type code (for the operation). then move that over the transport. the receiver picks and chooses what it wants out of the hashtable. if you send a message type the recipient doesn't expect, he ignores it. if you send a field the recipient doesn't expect, he ignores it. if you don't send a field the recipient expects, he can 1) complain, 2) pass on the fact that it was missing, 3) set it to a default value, 4) crash.

thrift does both 2 and 3. passes a default value and also marks it as not being set. smart code must check for the presence of a parameter before assuming it is there.

etch does 2, by using reference parameters for native types (such as Integer for int in java, int? for int in csharp), which makes it both simpler and clearer, and more robust. this comes with no particular penalty for most of the interesting languages (java, c#, ruby, python, php, javascript, cuae). the only binding that suffers is c/c++, which is already suffering plenty for other reasons (threads, storage management, type systems).

scott out

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Yes that was the paragraph I was referring to.

Paul

Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
Apache Synapse PMC Chair
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by James Dixson <ja...@cisco.com>.
Paul,

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
James

> [...]

>  JIRA : Etch (ETCH)
>
> == Other Resources
>
>  None
>
> = Initial Committers
>

> Gaurav Sandhir      gsandhir at cisco dot com
> J.D. Liau           jliau at cisco dot com
> Hung Nguyen       hungng at cisco dot com
> James Dixson        jadixson at cisco dot com
> James deCocq      jadecocq at cisco dot com
> Louis Marascio      lmarasci at cisco dot com
> Manoj Ganesan       manogane at cisco dot com
> Rene Barazza        rebarraz at cisco dot com
> Rick Bolkey         rbolkey at cisco dot com
> Scott Comer         sccomer at cisco dot com
> Seth Call           secall at cisco dot com
> Shawn Dempsay       shawn at dempsay dot com
> Shyamali Pease      shpease at cisco dot com
> Youngjin Park     youngjpa at cisco dot com
>
> == Affiliations
>
> All the initial committers are Cisco employees.

Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
Apache Synapse PMC Chair
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
James Dixson wrote:
> This a proposal to enter Etch in to the incubator.

+1 for incubation.

I will gladly be a mentor.

Doug

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 07 August 2008 12:16:47 Yonik Seeley wrote:
> And I also qualify on that point.

Then I am so sorry. As Bill pointed out, it ain't easy to recall exactly who
are Members and who are not...

I will adjust the Proposal.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 07 August 2008 14:33:57 Paul Fremantle wrote:
> Niclas
>
> I offered as a backup. I'm perfectly happy for the proposal to go
> forwards with the three original mentors. I will probably join the
> mailing lists anyway.

Ok, noted in proposal.

Cheers

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Niclas

I offered as a backup. I'm perfectly happy for the proposal to go
forwards with the three original mentors. I will probably join the
mailing lists anyway.

Thanks!

Paul

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Yonik Seeley wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 12:10 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
>> On Thursday 07 August 2008 10:50:10 Yonik Seeley wrote:
>>
>>> "The Sponsor shall assign a Mentor, who shall be granted membership of
>>> the Incubator PMC for the duration of the incubation process."
>>> That's also why they are listed as Nominated Members... the Incubator
>>> PMC must confirm them.
>> Yes, but there is a constraint on who can become Incubator PMC member, namely;
>> ASF Members.
>
> And I also qualify on that point.

Right you are (with 240-some members, it can become confusing).  Simply
email private@incubator with your request to become a PMC member, and Noel
will relay this to the board.

Bill

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 07 August 2008 10:50:10 Yonik Seeley wrote:

> "The Sponsor shall assign a Mentor, who shall be granted membership of
> the Incubator PMC for the duration of the incubation process."
> That's also why they are listed as Nominated Members... the Incubator
> PMC must confirm them.

Yes, but there is a constraint on who can become Incubator PMC member, namely;
ASF Members. There are also a handful of rare cases where the PMC vote in
non-Members on merit, but that is quite exceptional.

I thought we have revised the cited paragraph to be more clear.

Cheers

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> Now;
>   Niclas Hedhman
>   Doug Cutting
>   Paul Fremantle
>
> I had to remove Yonik from the list of formal Mentors, as he is not on the
> Incubator PMC (AFAICT).

Huh?  Mentors become part of the Incubator PMC.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 01 August 2008 00:16:57 James Dixson wrote:

> == Nominated Mentors
Now;
   Niclas Hedhman
   Doug Cutting
   Paul Fremantle

I had to remove Yonik from the list of formal Mentors, as he is not on the
Incubator PMC (AFAICT). Paul Fremantle has volunteered, so I put him up as
well.

All experienced hands are of course welcomed, even if it is not formalized
people who have been through incubation is a very good resource to have
around podlings, so Yonik, don't feel discouraged... ;o)

Cheers

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by James Dixson <ja...@cisco.com>.
Thank you for the support Yonik!

--
james

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
A modern replacement for CORBA? Just resist the temptation to
implement Persistence Services on top. ;-)

+1

Craig

On Jul 31, 2008, at 9:16 AM, James Dixson wrote:

> This a proposal to enter Etch in to the incubator.
>
> See http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/EtchProposal for updates.
>
> In particular, we are looking for an interested Champion.
>
> We welcome any and all comments. :-)

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 2:23 PM, scott comer (sccomer) <sc...@cisco.com> wrote:
> we might have overdone the committer list here a bit so nobody who made a
> significant contribution felt left out. :-)

Perhaps something like a FAQ entry "What is the history of Etch?" on
the web site would be a more appropriate way to recognize these?

-Yonik

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
+1

-Yonik

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 8/1/08, scott comer (sccomer) <sc...@cisco.com> wrote:
> we might have overdone the committer list here a bit so nobody who made
> a significant contribution felt left out. :-)

Having a long committer list is not necessarily bad but projects which
enter with a long list of which only a small number are enthusiastic
and active often find incubation more challenging. For example,
listing someone as a committer means they need to fill in the
paperwork etc and subscribe to the lists. If people have made
significant contributions and are enthusiastic then they will be an
asset. If they aren't interested they the extra names may prove a
burden.

- robert

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by "scott comer (sccomer)" <sc...@cisco.com>.
we might have overdone the committer list here a bit so nobody who made
a significant contribution felt left out. :-)

(in addition to what james dixson has reported about himself) for the
last two months, the main contributors to the compiler and the java and
csharp bindings (the core) have been gaurav and me. going forward,
support and enhancements to the core would fall mainly on gaurav and me.
manoj ganesan has spent a lot of time working on the core in the past,
and is currently supporting the xml binding and the cuae use of same.
for the last 9 months james deCocq has been working on the c binding.
rene barazza and youngjin park will be contributing to the c binding as
well. seth call has been working on the javascript binding / json
transport. generally patches to the core would be vetted by gaurav and
me, as well as recruiting and mentoring new contributors to the project.

summary:

architecture: scott comer
compiler, java and csharp binding: scott comer, gaurav sandhir
build: james dixson
c binding: james deCocq, rene barazza, youngjin park
javascript binding: seth call
python binding: james dixson
documentation: shy pease

of those, only gaurav and i are full time on the etch project, everyone
else has other duties as well. there is plenty of room for more
contributors on current and future projects:

ruby binding
python binding
web services gateway
web services transport
maven build
automated interop test framework and suite
better testing framework for the compiler
a host of smaller projects

scott out

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Henning,

I'd be grateful if you could explain this further.

When I look at the Etch proposal page, it does not seem that Etch is simply about a wire format, so
I am puzzled by your reply.  There are some things I'm clearly not getting about Etch.

Yours,  Mike.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.
 From my understanding, Tuscany could leverage Etch to offer a wire

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by James Dixson <ja...@cisco.com>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
14 people from one organisation on the initial committer list looks to
me like a daunting incubation. To get some level of independence from
Cisco, that will mean recruiting at least 14 new committers. That is a
major task.

I see Shindig having the same issue - it is moving fast, and developing
well, but still with a strong Google contingent, and it will take quite
some time before that changes significantly.

So, with 14 initial committers from one org, I'd expect incubation to be
very slow.

Upayavira

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by James Dixson <ja...@cisco.com>.
The watercooler problem is real, but addressable. We accept that in order
for a community around Etch to grow, communication has to be open. Much of
our communication and discussion about Etch has been mediated over email as
our intramural community is geographically distributed. It is not a stretch
for us to change our primary discussion mailers.

--
james

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by "Louis R. Marascio" <lo...@fitnr.com>.
Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
>On Friday 01 August 2008 21:10, James Dixson wrote:
>> I am a bit confused though about the "too good" concern, I do not think I
>> understand what you mean. Could you elaborate?
>
>I think it was Stefano Mazzocchi who said about community building, that the
>only "Bad Code + Great Vision" will succeed in building strong communities.
>It refers to the fact that there must be "itches to scratch" for a lot of
>people, otherwise they just stay users and the momentum of the project never
>really get going...

Niclas,

Point taken. As you and a few others have pointed out, building a
community is one of the challenges here, but it is also one of the areas
that we have some experience with. At Cisco the product we build is for
developers. While it isn't open source it still relies on an active
community of developers--one that we've fostered and grown on our own
accord here at Cisco. You can see it here:

Again, I realize it isn't the same, but I wanted to make sure the
Incubator community knows that the folks who are bringing Etch to Apache
for consideration do have experience in building a community of
developers.

Thanks again for your offer of support.

Louis

--
Louis R. Marascio - www.fitnr.com
... fixed in the next release ...

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by James Dixson <ja...@cisco.com>.
Ah. Well, then I do not think there is anything to worry about as far as
Etch is concerned. There are many, many potential growth points for the
project. A simple example, Etch supports Java and C# language bindings today
with a binary-transport. One of the committers, Seth Call, is working on a
JavaScript language-binding with a JSON-encoded transport. I am working on a
Python binding. Language bindings and transport plugins represent huge
"itches". Furthermore, even our own limited experience has show that even
when one architects language and transport neutrality, we miss stuff. The
python language binding work early on inspired etch changes and
binary-transport changes to better support dynamically typed languages.

Other dimensions of "itches" exists in the management and aggregation of
multiple instances of services. IS-A vs HAS-A relationships between
services. Session management. Service discovery, etc.

IMHO while etch-1.0 offers capabilities today that fix a lot of problems in
the way services are defined, implemented and consumed. I do not by any
means think it eliminates problems from this space entirely. I think was
Etch offers is a more efficient refactoring of the problem of network
service creation and development and in turn "opens the field" to a
completely new class of technological challenges and opportunities.

--
James

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by James Dixson <ja...@cisco.com>.
Niclas, thanks for the support it is much appreciated. I will put you down
as as 'willing' on Mentor and Champion.

I understand the "at office" concern, it is a mode of operation and we (the
committers) all understand the importance of public communication and
consensus.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Poloka

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
I am quite happy to be a mentor and help out with the project on a voluntary
basis.
I have gone through the mill with Apache Qpid and to a certain extent with
Synapse/Axis2/Tuscany, so familiar with the process.

However I have to note that I have an affiliation with the University of
Toronto's Middleware Systems
Research Group as a student and have done work with the code base etc as
part of a research course.
If the above affiliation is not an issue then I am quite happy to put down
my name as a mentor.

Regards,

Rajith

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

[PROPOSAL] Poloka

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by James Dixson <ja...@cisco.com>.
Thanks for the support Paul!

--
james

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
James

I'm +1 for incubation. I see you have three mentors, but if at some
future point you need another mentor, I would be very happy to step
in.

Regards,
Paul

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 9:33 PM, Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 6:16 PM, James Dixson <ja...@cisco.com> wrote:
>> This a proposal to enter Etch in to the incubator.
>>
>> See http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/EtchProposal for updates.
>
> +1 for incubation (non-binding). While I find this area to be a bit
> overcrowded lately, having both Etch and Thrift at Apache and Protocol
> buffers under ASL 2.0 does offer some interesting opportunities for
> competition as well as cooperation.
>
> I do share the concerns about naming conflicts. Debian is by far more
> well known and trying to establish this project under a conflicting
> name would be hard.
>
> /niklas

Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
Apache Synapse PMC Chair
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Call it "Edge". :-)

My concern is mainly "2". And you will get lots of Linux support
questions on your mailing list.

	Ciao
		Henning

James Dixson (jadixson) schrieb:
> I have heard the name concern a couple of times now...
>
> When we picked the name Etch about 18 months ago, we knew about the
> Debian release, but frankly we were unconcerned. Debian etch is the name
> of a release of Debian, no different than "4" being a release of Fedora.
> Eventually Debian etch will fade into memory just as sarge and woody
> have.
>
> Etch, in our line of thinking (if it could be said we were doing any
> thinking :-) ) was the name we were giving to the technology, not a
> release. There were no other technologies named Etch or similar, so we
> declared victory and moved on.
>
> So I guess my question back to everyone is this:
>
>    What is the concern about the name Etch, really?
>
>  1. Is there a legal trademark issue or a formal Apache branding policy
> issue with using the name Etch such that the use of the name is simply
> not going to be allowed.
>
>  - or -
>
>  2. Is there a concern that during incubation, we might have to be
> explicit in communication and always say "Apache Etch" rather than just
> "Etch" because of a fear that a reference to "Etch", taken out of
> context, could be confused with Debian 4.0?
>
> If "1" is true then, absolutely the name should be changed.
>
> But if only "2" is true, then I will need a bit more convincing. I am
> after all very, very lazy and changing the name of a working toolset is
> well... work :-)
>

> ---
> James Dixson
> Manager, Software Development
> CUAE Engineering, Cisco Systems Inc.
> Direct: 512-336-3305
> Mobile: 512-968-2116
> james.dixson@cisco.com

Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache person
Open Source Consulting, Development, Design    | Velocity - Turbine

	  "Save the cheerleader. Save the world."

RE: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Re: [PROPOSAL] Etch

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.