Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/10 20:58:58 UTC

Rename "HTTP Proxy Server" ?

The HTTP Proxy Server test element is used to record browser sessions
as test plans.

The name does not describe its function (it describes the implementation).
Having Proxy in the name means it's more easily confused with the
proxy settings that may be needed to run tests.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to rename the test element to something like

HTTP(S) Test Recorder
or
Test Recorder - HTTP(S)
or
Test Recorder - HTTP/HTTPS

I did consider "Test Recorder" on its own, but that might be taken to
imply that it can record other test types (e.g. JDBC), which it cannot
at present. Even if we did implement JDBC recording, it would likely
need a different GUI as the options would be completely different, so
I think the name needs to include HTTP(S).

I think the rename will only affect the component reference docs - and
we can add an anchor for the old name.

Thoughts?
Would it help to rename the element?

If there is agreement, I'd like to do this before the next release.
There are other major changes to the recorder which also need documenting.

Re: Rename "HTTP Proxy Server" ?

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
ok for me

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Rename "HTTP Proxy Server" ?

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 12.09.2013 20:38, sebb wrote:
> Would everyone be happy with the following?
>
> HTTP(S) Test Script Recorder

OK

Re: Rename "HTTP Proxy Server" ?

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.
Le 12/09/2013 19:38, sebb a ecrit :
> Would everyone be happy with the following?
>
> HTTP(S) Test Script Recorder

ok

Re: Rename "HTTP Proxy Server" ?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Rename "HTTP Proxy Server" ?

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Rename "HTTP Proxy Server" ?

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.
Le 11/09/2013 10:42, sebb a ecrit :
> On 11 September 2013 09:28, Milamber <mi...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I've prefer keep the word "proxy" in the name.
> That's the part I really want to get rid of, because of the potential
> confusion with the other proxy settings.
Ok.
(The word "proxy" means in my mind: "you must configure your browser to
use this (JMeter) proxy to record your script".)

>> "Test" is an ambiguous word, means in my mind "test" (like beta-test). Word
>> like "script" seems better.
> Well, we use Test already quite a lot, as in Test Element / Test Script.
>
> Since JMeter is all about testing, I think using Test is OK.
>
>> - HTTP(S) Proxy Recorder
>> - HTTP(S) Proxy Test Recorder
>> - Web Proxy Recorder
>> - Web Proxy for Test Recorder