Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Pr...@aol.com on 2003/01/26 13:40:50 UTC

[users@httpd] help with directory accesses

I have 5 dirs inside my DocumentRoot, 2 of them suppose to have
encrypted security (implemented using OpenSSL ) and 3 don't.
What is the directive for my "main" host to recognise that this
particular directory shall be secure or unsecure and to change ports and
toggle SSLEngine accordingly:
eg.  choose from  http://.../root/dir:80
                   and  https://.../root/dir:443

the actual problem is that both hosts have same DocumentRoot,which is
/user/apache2/htdocs,

eg                             htdocs
    |         |        |         |
                 dir1      dir2    dir3      dir4

dir1 and dir3  must be secure and dir 2 and dir4 must be unsecure.
There 2 ports:
5800 non-secure port
4800 secure port

if  I am now at http://www... :5800/dir2    and want to get to dir 1 I
have to switch to SSL and change ports , the request should be
https://www... :4800/dir1
How can I achieve this ?

Thanks for your help
Michael

Re: [users@httpd] help with directory accesses

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 Prpltchkv@aol.com wrote:

> I have 5 dirs inside my DocumentRoot, 2 of them suppose to have
> encrypted security (implemented using OpenSSL ) and 3 don't.
> What is the directive for my "main" host to recognise that this
> particular directory shall be secure or unsecure and to change ports and
> toggle SSLEngine accordingly:
> eg.  choose from  http://.../root/dir:80
>                    and  https://.../root/dir:443
>
> the actual problem is that both hosts have same DocumentRoot,which is
> /user/apache2/htdocs,
>
> eg                             htdocs
>     |         |        |         |
>                  dir1      dir2    dir3      dir4
>
> dir1 and dir3  must be secure and dir 2 and dir4 must be unsecure.
> There 2 ports:
> 5800 non-secure port
> 4800 secure port
>
> if  I am now at http://www... :5800/dir2    and want to get to dir 1 I
> have to switch to SSL and change ports , the request should be
> https://www... :4800/dir1
> How can I achieve this ?

SSL is not on or off per directory, but per port, as you seem to already
recognize.

Probably the easiest way to accomplish what you seem to be trying is
just with a redirect.

Redirect /path/dir2/ https://servername:4800/path/dir2/

You really should think of them, not as the same server, but as
different web servers.

--
And everyone said, "If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve -