Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com> on 2007/01/30 23:54:46 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Standard Reporting

There are many reports and plugins now that generate reports against the
code.

I'd like to see an entire framework built around the concept of
Standardized Reporting.

The components of this framework...

maven-reporting-datapoint

  This would provide an API that various reporting plugins (checkstyle /
pmd / findbugs / etc...) can utilize to issue a very generic datapoint
DataPoint.report(Project project, File sourceFile, long line, int
severity, String type, String message);
  This API in turn logs the information into a data store (derby /
hsqldb / xmlstore) with a timestamp of its occurance.
  This library would also provide an abstract standard report generator
to produce a report that is consistent for all plugins.

maven-datapoint-report-plugin

  This would provide a report similar to JXR and Cobertura that lists
the source files, complete with hits against each file from all reports
that use the datapoint API.  Inline messages and highlighting can be
used to show the line and all problems associated with that line from
each datapoint generator.  This information should be produced on a
per-module and aggregated perspective.
  A historical graph can be shown from this datapoint information for
that module / project / file. (sparkline)

What needs to be done is identify the reporting types, and attempt to
define as few 'standard reports' views as possible.
The needs of JDepend is different than PMD or even Cobertura.  Heck, a
standard report format might just be a pipe dream, but the rest of the
datapoint proposal should still have merit.

If this is a good idea, I think we should encourage the appropriate
hooks into maven 2.1 for this functionality, and then work on this as a
seperate concept.

Wild dreaming ideas.  Implement a standard Maven SCM Annotate method so
that datapoints in the code can even be associated to the developer that
created that line, producing historical charts for each developer too!

- Joakim

Re: [PROPOSAL] Standard Reporting

Posted by Arnaud Bailly <ab...@oqube.com>.
"John Allen" <jo...@hotmail.com> writes:

> database accessible via Wagon. Someone mentioned something about using RDP
> about 6 months ago...

Hello,
I was the one who talked about this 6 months ago :-)
I am still interested in it, and willing to share my ideas and part of
my workforce. One reason I did not produced anything interesting was
the lack of answers to some questions I asked about basic maven
architecture and usage of some of its components. I then switched to
other things, and then 6 months were gone.

Just in case, here is my original mail (august the 16th):

  Hello,
  Following some quick discussion with Vincent MAssol at maven day paris
  in july about a generalised QA tool for maven, I would like to share
  some thoughts about report management in maven and how it could (maybe)  be
  improved.

  Currently, report generation in maven2 is largely *ad hoc*: each
  plugin (reporting or build plugin) has its own private way of
  generating data and generating *views* on this data to be integrated
  into the project's site. For example, *surefire* plugin generates XML
  reports into the =target/surefire-reports/= directory and these reports
  are later processed by *surefire-report* reporting plugin to generate
  HTML pages into the =target/site/surefire-reports/= directory. These
  HTML pages are decorated as other pages in the site thus providing a
  consistent look and feel across reports (and by the way allowing easy
  customization of this L&F through CSS files and custom templates).

  This is the case for most reports I have used like *pmd*, *cobertura* or
  *checkstyle*. Other reports like *javadoc* and *xref* reports generates HTML
  pages with their own private format.

  As it may be apparent from the questions in the maven users' mailing
  list, the aggregation of reports for modules of a project is a
  recurring issue. This aggregation must currently be implemented by
  each plugin in an *ad hoc* way and it seems this is not a trivial
  task. Moreover, the aggregation process may not be easily controlled
  in a consistent way: excluding certain projects or part thereof from
  aggregation is difficult (or impossible ?).

  Furthermore, there is a need for a global and synthetic view
  of complex multi modules projects' status and QA information. This
  information was provided in **maven 1.X** through the *dashboard* plugin
  that could aggregate reports' output in one tabular view.
  I think that both issues could benefit from changing the current
  approach of report and (meta-)information handling in maven from a
  plugin dependent view to a project dependent view.

  A project's structure has (at least) two dimensions: A *physical structure* that is
  made of files, directories, archives, maybe URLs ; and a *logical
  structure* made of modules, packages, classes, methods,
  instructions. These two dimensions are obviously related: a class is
  *defined* in a file, a package is *implemented* by one or several
  directories, a method is *defined* in a class, etc.

  Each reporting plugin provides some pieces of information about part
  of the stuctural elements of a project:
   -  Surefire reports give sucess rates and failures explanation for
      test cases which are  themselves testing methods, classes or modules,
   -  javadoc report document logical structural elements of a project,
   -  coverage reports give coverage information about instructions or
      lines in files, in relation with test cases.

  This latter example further illustrates that information can be added
  to information.

  The basic idea I have in mind is thus to provide as a core maven
  service a central information API that would be used by **all** reporting
  plugins to attach information to structural elements of the
  project. This information could be store as a RDF (see also
  http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/discovery/rdf/resources/) graph backed by
  a suitable ontology and extensible at will. The RDF structure would
  simplify most of the issues raised earlier in this text as it gives
  standard tools to query, aggregate and transform informations stored
  in the graph.

  Aggregating information, for example, is trivial and can
  be done generically at *any* suitable level: If I need coverage percent
  for each method, I can query nodes relating to methods for a
  =test-coverage= predicate attached to this node and use the given
  object's value. Or I can use the same information by aggregating
  values at, for example, module scope, following links from module
  nodes to =test-coverage= predicates they lead to.

  Another interesting aspect of this scheme is that RDF, having an
  external XML representation, is amenable to XSLT transformation and
  thus  can be used uniformly to generate human-readable reports without
  resorting to specialized handling per plugin.

  Furthermore, storing this information in a versionned database would
  allow one to retrieve the *evolution* of the information attached to a
  project over time and various builds. This functionality is today provided
  by qalab plugin, once again in an *ad hoc* way.

  I dont know exactly what development effort this would imply:
   1. creating the primary structure from the project at startup
   2. populating the RDF database from this primary information gathered
     along the way
   3. giving access to this database through an API to all plugins
   4. providing a transformation framework for easy report generation
      from the database and rendering

  I think that 2 and 3 above are the same thing: the primary and
  secondary information could all be created by the various plugins
  involved in a build, with some bootstrapping in 1 to create the basic
  structure (projects, modules, base directories...).

  Comments are of course welcomed and sought after.

As I said, I am still interested.

OQube < software engineering \ génie logiciel >
Arnaud Bailly, PhD

\tel> (33) 3 59 08 61 98
\mob> (33) 6 17 12 19 78
\web> http://www.oqube.com

RCS Lille B 490 219 730

RE: [PROPOSAL] Standard Reporting

Posted by John Allen <jo...@hotmail.com>.
All,

Re dashboards: the reporting aspect of this space is TBH the most trivial
aspect of a much wider problem domain, namely that of metrics management and
processing, think datum acquisition, storage, manipulation and obviously
reporting/access - think OLAP; think CMMI; think corporate governance
regimes, gets hairy pretty quick. I have spent the last 12 months reviewing
various solutions for an enterprise scale solution for this space and
unfortunately there is nothing truly attractive out there so we're going our
own way and employing some of Pentaho's open source OLAP framework to
provide a basis for our future extendibility and functional needs. The
generation of the metrics is trivial however we have still had to re-write
all of the main Maven 'code checker' plugins (PMD, FindBugs, Checkstyle,
Clover, Cobertura, JIRA (for bug metrics), JDepend, etc) [summary: separate
checking from reporting, enable module aggregation, enforce limits/checking,
upload to repository, develop static 'dashboard' report plugin, develop J2EE
'slice and dice' system for interactive reporting and analysis]. The trick
with this like any information processing problem is the information model
you employ. If I was doing this for the maven community I would insist upon
integrating the solution with Maven's dependency management system and not
just rely on some n-tier data source (JDBC, whatever) to stuff the metrics
into. A much cleverer scheme could be based around a federated distributed
database accessible via Wagon. Someone mentioned something about using RDP
about 6 months ago...

The reason this has been talked about by many but progressed by few is that
it seems simple on the surface but in fact, to be worthy of the Maven/Apache
name (i.e. done right, based on excellent analysis) it is in fact a hardcore
problem. Good luck though, if I was looking to form a new IT company this
would the area I would do it in, we are all investing very heavily in
governance, not just within the ALM but across broader process spaces and to
do so one needs this kind of system.

John

Posted by Fabrice Bellingard <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joakim,

2007/1/31, Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>:
> The dashboard plugin is definitely within the scope of this proposal,
> but is still just 1 consumer of the datapoint data.  The dashboard
> plugin would be definitely be affected dramatically by this concept, it
> would no longer need to know what the other reports are, how they are
> formatted, etc.

Agree.
All plugins are sort of analysis engines for code quality or code
quantity. The dashboard is more for governance, ideally with a depth
notion in the analysis.
The data store should be more like a knowledge base. Actually, a lot
of reports plugins are for java but we need also to support .net with
nmaven and probably other languages like sql.

> Should we create a new maven top level project for this?  Ala WAGON /
> SCM / ARCHIVA / CONTINUUM ?

+1

Vincent

Posted by Fabrice Bellingard <be...@apache.org>.
Or in the Maven sandbox, that'd be a more appropriate place :-)
(I'm only talking about the "standardized report" framework that Joakim
introduced, of course)

Posted by Garvin LeClaire <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Garvin LeClaire <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>.

Posted by dvicente <dv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Fabrice Bellingard <be...@apache.org>.
Hi guys,

it seems that this proposal arrives right on time! :-) I've just been hired
by a company that has developed, for its own needs, an application that can
store code metrics, consolidate them and show them in various ways. I
haven't had the time to look more into it yet, but it looks very promising
though. So I asked the CEO to open-source it, and he seems ready to go for
it if I can find a good place for the project to start (I still need to see
that point... I was thinking of proposing it to the Apache Incubator, but I

Posted by Garvin LeClaire <ga...@gmail.com>.
Joakim,