Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Sandy McArthur <sa...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/07 16:51:38 UTC

[pool] how about new release and incubating my composite pool implementation

Two things:

First, how about a new pool release? Commons Pool 1.2 is 1.5 years old
and contains some significant bugs that have been fixed in SVN
including:
* synchronization issues found by Mayur Naik
* GenericObjectPool in 1.2 is a LIFO, not a FIFO as documented and expected
* 1.2 Depends on a depreciated collections class (SVN doesn't need
commons collections at all)
* a good number of other fixes too

Second, I'm confident that I have my paperwork in order now for the
composite pool implementation I first announced November 2005
available at: http://sandy.mcarthur.org/pool/ I just need a member of
Apache to shepherd if through the incubator process.

You can find my original announcement at
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-dev/200511.mbox/%3c6bde122b0511082217h6a4671f4v8f30aed5512e44d2@mail.gmail.com%3e
that mentions all the big feature, there have been smaller
improvements since then. I also benchmarked my composite
implementation to be between 40% to 55% faster than the
GenericObjectPool.

--
Sandy McArthur

- Thomas Paine

Re: [pool] how about new release and incubating my composite pool implementation

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 10:51 -0500, Sandy McArthur wrote:
> Two things:
>
> First, how about a new pool release? Commons Pool 1.2 is 1.5 years old
> and contains some significant bugs that have been fixed in SVN
> including:
> * synchronization issues found by Mayur Naik
> * GenericObjectPool in 1.2 is a LIFO, not a FIFO as documented and expected
> * 1.2 Depends on a depreciated collections class (SVN doesn't need
> commons collections at all)
> * a good number of other fixes too

+1

> Second, I'm confident that I have my paperwork in order now for the
> composite pool implementation I first announced November 2005
> available at: http://sandy.mcarthur.org/pool/ I just need a member of
> Apache to shepherd if through the incubator process.

i'm a member but that shouldn't really be necessary in this case: it's
just IP clearance. the incubator works as the first point contact for
all external IP whether it's a new project (and so needs community
building) or a contribution to an existing project developed elsewhere
(just IP clearance required).

> You can find my original announcement at
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-dev/200511.mbox/%3c6bde122b0511082217h6a4671f4v8f30aed5512e44d2@mail.gmail.com%3e
> that mentions all the big feature, there have been smaller
> improvements since then. I also benchmarked my composite
> implementation to be between 40% to 55% faster than the
> GenericObjectPool.

cool :)

i should have wheels in motion by the end of weekend at the latest

- robert

Re: [pool] how about new release and incubating my composite pool implementation

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 2/13/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 17:35 -0500, Sandy McArthur wrote:
> > On 2/9/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > > i've checked the records and i can't see a software grant on record as
> > > being received. so, you'll create a archive (tar or zip) of the source
> > > which is to be donated to the ASF and create an MD5 for it. the software
> > > grant should describe the donated software and refer to the sum. the
> > > archive will be uploaded to an ASF server for the record. you'll need to
> > > fax the grant to jim.
> >
> > Fax sent 30 min ago.
>
> great :)
>
> the receipt notice hasn't been committed yet. jim last committed on the
> 10th (so there's nothing to be worried about yet). hopefully should be
> in his next batch.

When it shows; and prior to committing the code; go ahead and send an
email to general@incubator, cc pmc@jakarta; letting them know that
we're taking said code in.

Commons-CSV was a bit heavyweight compared to this, but here's what I did then:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200512.mbox/%3c31cc37360512130924t85139a6n7f4097acc0987b27@mail.gmail.com%3e

and for Norbert -> HTTP Components:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200601.mbox/%3C31cc37360601101839y302ff068m62f22f1688d317ba@mail.gmail.com%3E

Important to mention that we've voted this on.

---

Basically the Incubator is supposed to be in the process when it comes
to adding new sizeable pieces of code (such as would require a
software grant), and this is my lightweight solution to doing so. No
complaints so far.

Hen

Re: [pool] how about new release and incubating my composite pool implementation

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Sandy McArthur <sa...@gmail.com>.
On 2/9/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> i've checked the records and i can't see a software grant on record as
> being received. so, you'll create a archive (tar or zip) of the source
> which is to be donated to the ASF and create an MD5 for it. the software
> grant should describe the donated software and refer to the sum. the
> archive will be uploaded to an ASF server for the record. you'll need to
> fax the grant to jim.

Fax sent 30 min ago.

http://sandy.mcarthur.org/pool/grant/mcarthur-composite-pool.tar
MD5 (mcarthur-composite-pool.tar) = aaa5ffe2c1413ed1ece266663a4764f8

In the past few days I made some small changes:
* Improved documentation: added some, removed some that was wrong,
spellchecked a lot of it.
* renamed some methods to be more consistent and descriptive (eg:
setMaxWait to setMaxWaitMillis)
* Removed some convenience classes, mainly the four
{F,L}ifo[Keyed]ObjectPool classes as they are dead simple, weren't
configurable in a meaningful way, and didn't add much. I'm not against
adding them back but I think there should be demand for them first.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 10:51 -0500, Sandy McArthur wrote:

hi sandy

> Second, I'm confident that I have my paperwork in order now for the
> composite pool implementation I first announced November 2005
> available at: http://sandy.mcarthur.org/pool/ I just need a member of
> Apache to shepherd if through the incubator process.

i'd glad we should be able to get this started now :)

i've checked the records and i can't see a software grant on record as
being received. so, you'll create a archive (tar or zip) of the source
which is to be donated to the ASF and create an MD5 for it. the software
grant should describe the donated software and refer to the sum. the
archive will be uploaded to an ASF server for the record. you'll need to
fax the grant to jim.

we'll also need a VOTE here (i'll kick that off)

once these are in place, all that should be required is a check and ack
from the incubator pmc.

- robert