Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2016/03/17 21:00:12 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.0

The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.0 release is now available for voting.

This is the first release of the 8.5.x branch. The release is, in essence:
- Based on a copy of the 9.0.0.M4 tag
- All 9.0.x changes to the specification APIs have been reverted. The
  specification APIs should match 8.0.x exactly
- Java 8 specific code has been re-written for Java 7
- Tomcat and specification versions have been set

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.0/
The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1066/
The svn tag is:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.5.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_5_0/

The proposed 8.5.0 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Alpha  - go ahead and release as 8.5.0
[ ] Beta   - go ahead and release as 8.5.0
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.0

[VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.0

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
The following voters were cast:

Binding:
Alpha: jfclere
Beta: remm, markt, violetagg, mgrigorov, fschumacher

The vote therefore passes and 8.5.0 will be released as BETA.

Thanks to everyone who tested this release and/or voted.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.0

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 18/03/2016 13:52, Violeta Georgieva wrote:

>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.0 release is now available for voting.
>>
>> This is the first release of the 8.5.x branch. The release is, in essence:
>> - Based on a copy of the 9.0.0.M4 tag
>> - All 9.0.x changes to the specification APIs have been reverted. The
>>   specification APIs should match 8.0.x exactly
>> - Java 8 specific code has been re-written for Java 7
>> - Tomcat and specification versions have been set
>>
>> It can be obtained from:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.0/
>> The Maven staging repo is:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1066/
>> The svn tag is:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.5.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_5_0/
>>
>> The proposed 8.5.0 release is:
>> [ ] Broken - do not release
>> [ ] Alpha  - go ahead and release as 8.5.0
>> [X] Beta   - go ahead and release as 8.5.0
>> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.0
>
> There were Java EE 8 XSDs descriptions in NOTICE - fix with r1735558
> There was JRE 8 specified in RUNNING.txt - fixed with r1735559
>
> My tests all passed.
>

> In Tomcat 8.0.32, RELEASE-NOTES
>
> The public interfaces for the following classes may be added to in order to
> resolve bugs and/or add new features. No existing interface method will be
> removed or changed although it may be deprecated.
> ->>>>>>- org.apache.catalina.* (excluding sub-packages)
>
> In Tomcat 8.5.0, RELEASE-NOTES
>
> The public interfaces for the following classes may be added to in order to
> resolve bugs and/or add new features. No existing interface method will be
> removed or changed although it may be deprecated.
> ->>>>>>- None
>
> Is that expected?

It needs some re-wording. I'll take a shot at it.

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>.

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.0 release is now available for voting.
>
> This is the first release of the 8.5.x branch. The release is, in essence:
> - Based on a copy of the 9.0.0.M4 tag
> - All 9.0.x changes to the specification APIs have been reverted. The
>   specification APIs should match 8.0.x exactly
> - Java 8 specific code has been re-written for Java 7
> - Tomcat and specification versions have been set
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.0/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1066/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.5.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_5_0/
>
> The proposed 8.5.0 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Alpha  - go ahead and release as 8.5.0
> [X] Beta   - go ahead and release as 8.5.0
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.0

There were Java EE 8 XSDs descriptions in NOTICE - fix with r1735558
There was JRE 8 specified in RUNNING.txt - fixed with r1735559

My tests all passed.

In Tomcat 8.0.32, RELEASE-NOTES

The public interfaces for the following classes may be added to in order to
resolve bugs and/or add new features. No existing interface method will be
removed or changed although it may be deprecated.
->>>>>>- org.apache.catalina.* (excluding sub-packages)

In Tomcat 8.5.0, RELEASE-NOTES

The public interfaces for the following classes may be added to in order to
resolve bugs and/or add new features. No existing interface method will be
removed or changed although it may be deprecated.
->>>>>>- None

Is that expected?

Regards,
Violeta

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.0

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>.

> On 22/03/2016 15:14, Rossen Stoyanchev wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > A public  API for initiating an upgrade at runtime was removed [1] which
> > breaks WebSocket support in the Spring Framework. This API was
previously
> > added to make up for a limitation in JSR-356. The hope was for it to be
> > picked up in a spec update but unfortunately there has been no movement
> > whatsoever on that front. For what it's worth an identical API has been
> > added to several other Servlet containers.
>
> It looks like that was removed in error as part of the clean-up to
> remove Servlet 4.0 features. It will be added back for 8.5.1.

The method is restored with r1736761

Regards,
Violeta

https://github.com/apache/tomcat/commit/fe72ea5deb57d7eedf00387c1d79049ca64681ee

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rossen Stoyanchev <rs...@pivotal.io>.
hi,

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 18/03/2016 16:28, jean-frederic clere wrote:
> On 03/18/2016 03:47 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>>
>>> I have failure in the following tests:
>>> +++
>>>    [concat]
>>> TEST-org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher.NIO.txt
>>>    [concat]
>>> TEST-org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher.NIO2.txt
>>>    [concat]
>>> TEST-org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfigurationParser.NIO.txt
>>>    [concat]
>>> TEST-org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfigurationParser.NIO2.txt
>>> +++
>>>
>>> Basically that prevents my tests to go forward, it seems those tests are
>>> just wrong as openssl might not have the cipher we have in JSSE and I
>>> don't think that should be considered as an issue. I need to have a
>>> closer look but the results seem to depend on openssl version.
>>
>> They do. Unless you are running with HEAD of one of the OpenSSL
>> development branches, such failures are expected.
>
> I think those tests will fail except the openssl is compiled with the
> exact same flags you used and it will fail if anyone uses fips,
> basically in my case they are failing because sslv2 is disabled.
>
> Is there any easy way to skip those tests?

Set test.openssl.path to anything that doesn't point to a valid openssl
binary.

Mark

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Am 17.03.2016 um 21:00 schrieb Mark Thomas:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.0 release is now available for voting.
>
> This is the first release of the 8.5.x branch. The release is, in essence:
> - Based on a copy of the 9.0.0.M4 tag
> - All 9.0.x changes to the specification APIs have been reverted. The
>    specification APIs should match 8.0.x exactly
> - Java 8 specific code has been re-written for Java 7
> - Tomcat and specification versions have been set
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.0/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1066/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.5.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_5_0/
>
> The proposed 8.5.0 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Alpha  - go ahead and release as 8.5.0
> [x] Beta   - go ahead and release as 8.5.0
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.0
Regards,
  Felix

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.0

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 17/03/2016 20:00, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.0 release is now available for voting.
>
> This is the first release of the 8.5.x branch. The release is, in essence:
> - Based on a copy of the 9.0.0.M4 tag
> - All 9.0.x changes to the specification APIs have been reverted. The
>   specification APIs should match 8.0.x exactly
> - Java 8 specific code has been re-written for Java 7
> - Tomcat and specification versions have been set
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.0/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1066/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.5.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_5_0/
>
> The proposed 8.5.0 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Alpha  - go ahead and release as 8.5.0
> [X] Beta   - go ahead and release as 8.5.0
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.0

I'm seeing what look like random unit test failures with NIO2 on
Windows. At this point I'm not if the problem is with the test or an
edge case bug in NIO2.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.0

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.0 release is now available for voting.
>
> This is the first release of the 8.5.x branch. The release is, in essence:
> - Based on a copy of the 9.0.0.M4 tag
> - All 9.0.x changes to the specification APIs have been reverted. The
>   specification APIs should match 8.0.x exactly
> - Java 8 specific code has been re-written for Java 7
> - Tomcat and specification versions have been set
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.0/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1066/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.5.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_5_0/
>
> The proposed 8.5.0 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Alpha  - go ahead and release as 8.5.0
> [X] Beta   - go ahead and release as 8.5.0
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.0
>
> Tests look fine. Unless we find we messed up something during the (super
express) rework to Servlet 3.1 and Java 7, I think it can be a beta since
the 9Ms releases were rather fine as previous alphas.

Rémy

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.0

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 18/03/2016 13:05, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that webapps/docs/config/http.xml still mentions Tomcat 9, I
> guess this needs to be replaced with Tomcat 8.5 if SNI is indeed
> available in this version. I haven't checked the other parts of the
> documentation.

Thanks. SNI is available in 8.5. I've updated the docs for the next release.

Mark

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>.

> I have following observations:
>
> 0. in NOTICE it sill mentions the following XML schemas, which I think
should be removed.
>  - javaee_8.xsd
>  - web-app_4_0.xsd
>  - web-common_4_0.xsd
>  - web-fragment_4_0.xsd

This is fixed with r1735558

> 1. When uncomment the SSL/TLS HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 with HTTP/2
and start tomcat, there is NoSuchMethodException in catalina.out
> details are described in:
> https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=59209

This is fixed with r1736147

Regards,
Violeta

sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTPHeader(HttpClient.java:772)
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.expect100Continue(HttpURLConnection.java:1020)
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getOutputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1105)
>         at
org.apache.catalina.startup.TomcatBaseTest.postUrl(TomcatBaseTest.java:759)
>         at
org.apache.catalina.startup.TomcatBaseTest.postUrl(TomcatBaseTest.java:722)
>         at
org.apache.coyote.http11.TestHttp11Processor.doTestNon2xxResponseAndExpectation(TestHttp11Processor.java:584)
>         at
org.apache.coyote.http11.TestHttp11Processor.testNon2xxResponseWithExpectation(TestHttp11Processor.java:548)

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

> Any ideas?
>
> Yes, stop using Java 7.

Rémy

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.0

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@alibaba-inc.com>.
Hi Violeta,

I'm using JDK 1.7.0_79 on Mac OS X.
The test case passed on JDK 1.7.0_80.

From:Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>
Time:2016 Mar 22 (Tue) 19:32
To:Tomcat Developers List <de...@tomcat.apache.org>, 张乎兴(望陶) <hu...@alibaba-inc.com>
Subject:Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.0

> > Hi,
> >
> > I have following observations:
> >
> > 0. in NOTICE it sill mentions the following XML schemas, which I think should be removed.
> >  - javaee_8.xsd
> >  - web-app_4_0.xsd
> >  - web-common_4_0.xsd
> >  - web-fragment_4_0.xsd
> >
> > 1. When uncomment the SSL/TLS HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 with HTTP/2 and start tomcat, there is NoSuchMethodException in catalina.out
> > details are described in:
> > https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=59209
> >
> > 2. Server push examples failed, details are described in:
> > https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=59210
> >
> > 3. The following test case is constantly failing in my environment (RHEL 6.2 and Mac OS X).
> > I have checked with tomcat 9.0.0.M3 and there is no such problem.
>
> This is fixed with r1736178

I meant the problem with the server push, not the test.

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

> > in TEST-org.apache.coyote.http11.TestHttp11Processor.NIO.txt:
> >
> > Testcase: testNon2xxResponseWithExpectation took 3.082 sec
> >         Caused an ERROR
> > Unexpected end of file from server
> > java.net.SocketException: Unexpected end of file from server
> >         at
> sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTPHeader(HttpClient.java:772)
> >         at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTP(HttpClient.java:633)
> >         at
>
> sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.expect100Continue(HttpURLConnection.java:1020)
> >         at
>
> sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getOutputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1105)
> >         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.TomcatBaseTest.postUrl(TomcatBaseTest.java:759)
> >         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.TomcatBaseTest.postUrl(TomcatBaseTest.java:722)
> >         at
>
> org.apache.coyote.http11.TestHttp11Processor.doTestNon2xxResponseAndExpectation(TestHttp11Processor.java:584)
> >         at
>
> org.apache.coyote.http11.TestHttp11Processor.testNon2xxResponseWithExpectation(TestHttp11Processor.java:548)
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >

> I cannot reproduce this with Windows 7 and jdk1.7.0_80
>
> Can you specify the concrete JDK version that you are using?
>
> This failure happed on CI, it's caused by older Java 7s.

Rémy

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.0

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>.