Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org> on 2016/12/02 13:46:48 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Organising OFBiz Events or Meetups

Hi Everyone

Another topic that came up from the discussions in Seville was to look at the possibility of organising and running some OFBiz meetups or events.

Meeting up at Apachecon is a great way to strengthen relationships and also collaborate. Could we make use of meetups (real and virtual) to bring the community together?

Many other ASF projects have meetups but OFBiz doesn't - we tend to meetup at Apachecon and that's it. Could we look at organising some meetups, hackathons, training etc?  We have a lot of work so the meetups could be a way for a group of people to work together on a specific topic. It could also be used to do some outreach (recruit new members) as well as providing some valuable information / training etc for existing community members.

We have a strong community in Europe \u2013 would a separate OFBiz event / meetup in Europe work? (or should we continue to use Apachecon?). What about the US?
By the way -  I understand that there is now a focus on getting projects to run their 'summits' as part of Apachecon, so this could be something we could look at?

I've also heard that there is a large OFBiz community in India -  so could this be an option?

Anyway I'd like to find out if there is any interest so please let me have your feedback and comments.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: [DISCUSSION] Organising OFBiz Events or Meetups

Posted by Divesh Dutta <di...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Hi Sharan,

Thanks for starting this thread. I really liked the idea of doing OFBiz
meet ups or events. Events can be specific to any topic. Few ways we can
organise these events are:

1)  Invite people from business community and help them to understand how
they can use Apache OFBiz for free to run their businesses.

2) Invite developers from student community or freelancers who want to make
their career in ERP development. Experts can train them on how to do
development in OFBiz. In similar meet up of developers, experts can share
some success stories.

India does have many peoples involved in OFBiz project. Definitely, there
is an opportunity to have some events in India.

So idea seems good. We can also share some common resources in our
community, which we can use in these events. For example a good PPT
presentation of Apache OFBiz and how it can help businesses to grow.

Thanks
--
Divesh Dutta.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
A strategy without follow up is just a statement. So yeah I really think we
need some form of regular meetings to see where we are and whether we are
going on the right direction.

Perhaps something like once a month? Maybe for one hour or so, we can
gather on HipChat or have some form of voice conference to discuss things.