Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com> on 2004/04/02 20:00:19 UTC

False Positives on FORGED_DEF_WHITELIST

Been getting false Positives on FORGED_DEF_WHITELIST rule on mail comibg
from paypal.

Re: False Positives on FORGED_DEF_WHITELIST

Posted by Sidney Markowitz <si...@sidney.com>.
Marc Perkel wrote:

> Let me see if I can find the message. But - suppose someone has a
> secondary store and forward server - then if the main server goes down
> and the secondar server gets it - and then the main server comes up and
> transfers it to the main server - then the last server it comes from is
> the secondary server.

My intent was to check the server that is first used to send the mail,
and for that I rely on a (in this case) paypal.com mail server talking
to a trusted server of the receiver. If people are receiving mail from
one of their own servers that SpamAssassin does not know is trusted,
then there is no way to tell if a Received header is forged.

  -- sidney

Re: False Positives on FORGED_DEF_WHITELIST

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.
Let me see if I can find the message. But - suppose someone has a
secondary store and forward server - then if the main server goes down
and the secondar server gets it - and then the main server comes up and
transfers it to the main server - then the last server it comes from is
the secondary server.

I was just wondering if you check all the received lines or just the
last one?

Posted by Sidney Markowitz <si...@sidney.com>.

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.
I have a question about this rule.

If the MX record points to Server A - but the mail is then forwarded on
to Server B - and server B runs SpamAssassin - would this rule falsely
kick in?