Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jack Swan <jo...@oracle.com> on 2022/04/06 14:22:30 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.4.53 - Configure Fails Finding pcre2-config on some operating systems.

Changes to the configure script related to the update to use pcre2 instead of pcre fail on some operating systems.

My configure command uses many options, and with the upgrade to 2.4.53 I changed the --with-pcre option to point to the pcre2-config file directly

./configure --with-pcre=/path/to/pcre2-10.37/bin/pcre2-config

On OEL7 it works fine.
checking for chosen layout... Apache
checking for working mkdir -p... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C99... -std=gnu99
/path/to/pcre2-10.37/bin/pcre2-config
checking for -pcre2-config... no
checking for -pcre-config... no
checking for pcre2-config... no
checking for pcre-config... no
configure: Using external PCRE library from /path/to/pcre2-10.37/bin/pcre2-config

On Solaris 10, it does not. (same configure command)
checking for chosen layout... Apache
checking for working mkdir -p... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C99... unsupported
Processing /path/to/my/cshrc file
/path/to/pcre2-10.37/bin/pcre2-config not found
checking for -pcre2-config... no
checking for -pcre-config... no
checking for pcre2-config... no
checking for pcre-config... no
configure: error: Did not find working script at Processing /path/to/my/cshrc file
/path/to/pcre2-10.37/bin/pcre2-config not found

The configure script uses the "which" command.   On my Solaris 10 box, it's picking it up from /usr/bin/which, a csh script, and it causes it to process my cshrc file and that shows up in the output of the which command.  The extra output trips up the configure command.

Is this a bug?

Thanks,

John