Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Danny Angus <da...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/08 10:58:12 UTC

[VOTE] Mailet API as sub-project

Hi,
I'm calling this vote here and not on general@ because it affects James server.

Because of interest in advancing the Mailet API and opinions already
expressed in this thread
(http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/james-general/200610.mbox/%3C5ec229170610280413v3b956da3i6cb022b08a0bb8b8@mail.gmail.com%3E)

I would like to propose that the Mailet API be migrated into a new
sub-project with all its mail on mailet-api@james and its svn in
james/mailetapi

I propose that the existing api version be retained in james-server
until james-server is upgraded to implement the next API version as
released from the mailetapi subproject

The mailet api subproject will receive an initial commit of the trunk
of src/org/apache/mailet and thereafter will diverge.

No restriction on access is proposed, all james commiters will have
write access to mailetapi

d.

Re: [VOTE] Mailet API as sub-project

Posted by Joachim Draeger <jd...@joachim-draeger.de>.
Am Montag, den 08.01.2007, 09:58 +0000 schrieb Danny Angus:

> I would like to propose that the Mailet API be migrated into a new
> sub-project with all its mail on mailet-api@james and its svn in
> james/mailetapi

+1 (non binding)

I think it is important to show the public that james community is
interested in providing an _independent_ API.

Joachim

Re: [VOTE] Mailet API as sub-project

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@gmail.com>.
On 1/8/07, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:

> Do you propose to create a new JIRA project, too?

Oh yeah, makes sense to I think.

> We could even make a standalone release from that release (so current
> projects using mailet apis can already use that) and add it as a
> dependency in james-server. We can do this also in a backward compatible
> release as the final release package for james-server will not change.

I thought of this, but decided it was work that wouldn't really bring
any benefit. Just "running on the spot" and as we don't all have a lot
of time to do the things we want to I figured we could just skip it
and let James keep its own copy until the 1st independent release is
ready. In any case we could always review that decision at a later
date.

Re: [VOTE] Mailet API as sub-project

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
+1 Stefano

PS: see the inline note.

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Better Cast my own vote ;-)

+1

Posted by Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On 1/8/07, Danny Angus <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm calling this vote here and not on general@ because it affects James server.
>
> Because of interest in advancing the Mailet API and opinions already
> expressed in this thread
> (http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/james-general/200610.mbox/%3C5ec229170610280413v3b956da3i6cb022b08a0bb8b8@mail.gmail.com%3E)
>
> I would like to propose that the Mailet API be migrated into a new
> sub-project with all its mail on mailet-api@james and its svn in
> james/mailetapi
>
> I propose that the existing api version be retained in james-server
> until james-server is upgraded to implement the next API version as
> released from the mailetapi subproject
>
> The mailet api subproject will receive an initial commit of the trunk
> of src/org/apache/mailet and thereafter will diverge.
>
> No restriction on access is proposed, all james commiters will have
> write access to mailetapi

+1

Very good idea.
James Server tries to be too much at the same time: Server, Mailet
engine, Mail repository engine, protocol implementor etc. I think we
should break up the architecture like other projects have successfully
proven (I am aware of Geronimo and Tomcat as examples). Unlike Mailet,
Bayesian filtering is currently not a good candidate for this (but
could be modeled on Mailet).

The Server should be seen only as integrator of the mailet API and
provide runtime resources.
The mailet API should stand on its own feet and be able to attract
contributors on its own (which of course must fit into the James
project as a whole).

  Bernd

Re: [VOTE] Mailet API as sub-project

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Danny Angus wrote:
> one step at a time... we've talked
> about this for so long it might be a mistake to bite off too much in
> the first go.

+1
It is much better a small concrete step today than a hundred of
discussion in the last years :-)

Stefano

Re: [VOTE] Mailet API as sub-project

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
On 1/10/07, Serge Knystautas <sk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1.
>
> I'd also think about moving our mailets into the mailet subproject,
> and that could serve as your testing ground or at least samples.  At
> least the mailets that are not tied to James/Avalon APIs.

I thought about that, having a /contrib in /mailetapi so we can
distribute the API the RI and some mailets in one package, possibly
also a TCK and an SDK too, but one step at a time... we've talked

Posted by Serge Knystautas <sk...@gmail.com>.
+1.

--
Serge Knystautas