Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2008/08/14 21:51:45 UTC

Alternative to overflow="hidden" for table cells?

Hi everybody,

I need to clip the content of table cells. IIUC overflow="hidden" is not
supported yet. From my naïve point of view I'd assume it shouldn't be
too hard to implement this - is there a special reason for the lack of
this feature?

ATM I'm using an inline SVG as workaround, but this has a massive impact
on the processing time. Is there a more elegant workaround? I wouldn't
like to resort to hard-coding a string length limit if I can avoid it …

Thanks a lot in advance!

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

[solved] Alternative to overflow="hidden" for table cells?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Jeremias,

Jeremias Maerki schrieb:
> If you look at http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#fo_table-cell, you'll see
> that "overflow" is not in the list of applicable properties. That's
> because table-cell only generates a reference area but no viewport area.
>
> If you want to make sure that cell content is clipped you need to put it
> in a block-container where you can specify the overflow property. That's
> going to be more light-weight and faster than the SVG work-around.

thanks, that did the trick!

I had actually tried this before (you gave the same answer when this
question had been asked earlier). But the overflow attribute had no
effect on the block-container element, so I wasn't sure if it was really
implemented. Now I have upgraded to FOP 0.95 and with this version it
works fine.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Alternative to overflow="hidden" for table cells?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
If you look at http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#fo_table-cell, you'll see
that "overflow" is not in the list of applicable properties. That's
because table-cell only generates a reference area but no viewport area.

If you want to make sure that cell content is clipped you need to put it
in a block-container where you can specify the overflow property. That's
going to be more light-weight and faster than the SVG work-around.

On 14.08.2008 21:51:45 Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I need to clip the content of table cells. IIUC overflow="hidden" is not
> supported yet. From my naïve point of view I'd assume it shouldn't be
> too hard to implement this - is there a special reason for the lack of
> this feature?
>
> ATM I'm using an inline SVG as workaround, but this has a massive impact
> on the processing time. Is there a more elegant workaround? I wouldn't
> like to resort to hard-coding a string length limit if I can avoid it …
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!
>
> -- Andreas
>

> --
> Andreas Hartmann, CTO