Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Carol <na...@dodo.com.au> on 2012/10/10 08:42:05 UTC

Can I download Open Office on to my iPad?????

Carol Davies

Western Australia

+61 408 731 080

nagmad@dodo.com.au

Re: Can I download Open Office on to my iPad?????

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 10/10/12, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> wrote:
> BTW there are many tablets that run OpenOffice, including the Zatab
> http://zareason.com/shop/zatab.html from Zareason and WeTab
> http://wetab.mobi
>
> There are a bit more than a chinese knockoff, but still is an
> interesting market to look ahead.
>
> KDE also have been working on Vivaldi which will run their desktop
> http://makeplaylive.com/

Ah forgot the point.. the point was. We should look for ways to make a
more tablet compliant user experience. Sure Tablets (beyond the iPad)
are not as popular, but there is a product and a market for them. Also
as OS move to other platforms AOO would move with them. Having a
configurable UX will make our chances better to REMAIN as the default
office option for that OS.

Here is a screenshot of an android spreadsheet:
http://cdn.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/SC20111129-110526_thumb.jpg

OOo4Kids also did some of these UX improvements to adapt to small
screens like OLPC's XO.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GkihiVpI70I/TU_3_OvmS9I/AAAAAAAAAAQ/2HKgnHdCfBg/s1600/Captura+pantalla+de+%2522Planeamiento+del+2do+ciclo..odt+-+OOo4Kids+Writer%2522.png

Is a minor adaptation, but this is much better than 3 or 5 top-level
toolbars. Maybe sideway panes, can become grid menus that can allow
users to pull in the screen similar to Androids App menu.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: Can I download Open Office on to my iPad?????

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
BTW there are many tablets that run OpenOffice, including the Zatab
http://zareason.com/shop/zatab.html from Zareason and WeTab
http://wetab.mobi

There are a bit more than a chinese knockoff, but still is an
interesting market to look ahead.

KDE also have been working on Vivaldi which will run their desktop
http://makeplaylive.com/

On 10/10/12, Andreas Säger <vi...@t-online.de> wrote:
> Am 10.10.2012 08:42, Carol wrote:
>>

>> Carol Davies
>>
>> Western Australia
>>
>> +61 408 731 080
>>
>> nagmad@dodo.com.au
>>

> Of course you can download OpenOffice on to your iPad and distribute the
> software to other computers connected to it. However, your iPad won't
> run the program. There are technical reasons as well as license issues
> with Apple.

Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Can I download Open Office on to my iPad?????

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 10/10/12, Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2012-10-10 1:38 PM Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>> Have you test this? I have read their description, it never said you
>> need to be online to use this software. It does mention something like
>> this:
>
> The previous paragraph to the one you quoted below says:
>
>     "Our cloud based solution allows you to access the full functionality of
> a LibreOffice
>     applications and programs just like on a desktop with the best of breed
> integration with
>     other quick network file systems."

ah, my fault.

> It can't be cloud based unless you are online.
>
>> "Documents Unlimited currently supports the management of documents on
>> the device itself as well as Dropbox, Box, Google Drive and Google
>> Docs and it also supports Wifi and USB transfer between your computer
>> and iPad. There is also a file manager where you can take documents to
>> go with you. If you are connected to the Internet, you can also edit
>> your documents through our cloud based solution."
>
> It specifically says "If you are connected to the Internet, you can also
> edit
> your documents through our cloud based solution."
> It does not say anything about editing documents when you are offline. It
> only says it can
> manage documents on the device itself.
>

>> I would think that they would mention that you need to be online to
>> use the whole application and not just an extra functionality.
>
> They did.
>
> --
> _________________________________
>
> Larry I. Gusaas
> Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
> Website: http://larry-gusaas.com
> "An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind
> theirs." - Edgard Varese

Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Can I download Open Office on to my iPad?????

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 10/10/12, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> wrote:

>>> So what office software (compatible with ODF) do you run on an iPad?
>>
>> Doing a google search  I found what looks like an OOo / AOO adaptation to
>> ios6
>> http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/documents-2-unlimited-office/id504968354?mt=8
>>

> That is virtualized/remoted to a server instance running OpenOffice.
> So not really an iOS port.

Have you test this? I have read their description, it never said you
need to be online to use this software. It does mention something like
this:

"Documents Unlimited currently supports the management of documents on
the device itself as well as Dropbox, Box, Google Drive and Google
Docs and it also supports Wifi and USB transfer between your computer
and iPad. There is also a file manager where you can take documents to
go with you. If you are connected to the Internet, you can also edit
your documents through our cloud based solution."

I would think that they would mention that you need to be online to
use the whole application and not just an extra functionality.

> -Rob
>

>>> Kind regards
>>>
>>> Johnny Rosenberg
>>> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

>> --
>> Alexandro Colorado
>> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
>> http://es.openoffice.org

Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Can I download Open Office on to my iPad?????

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 10/10/12, Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/10/10 Andreas Säger <vi...@t-online.de>:
>> Am 10.10.2012 08:42, Carol wrote:
>>>

>>> Carol Davies
>>>
>>> Western Australia
>>>
>>> +61 408 731 080
>>>
>>> nagmad@dodo.com.au
>>>

>> Of course you can download OpenOffice on to your iPad and distribute the
>> software to other computers connected to it. However, your iPad won't run
>> the program. There are technical reasons as well as license issues with
>> Apple.
>
> So what office software (compatible with ODF) do you run on an iPad?

Doing a google search  I found what looks like an OOo / AOO adaptation to ios6
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/documents-2-unlimited-office/id504968354?mt=8

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Can I download Open Office on to my iPad?????

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Johnny Rosenberg
<gu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So what office software (compatible with ODF) do you run on an iPad?

There is a company offering a remote openoffice session on the cloud,
as a service. Haven´t used them, can´t vouch for them.

https://www.rollapp.com/OpenOffice

FC

Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Re: Can I download Open Office on to my iPad?????

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Säger <vi...@t-online.de>.