Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Raghu Murthy <rm...@facebook.com> on 2009/09/03 23:51:28 UTC

Make UD(A)F Serializable

I have a use case (hbase_put) where I need the udf/udaf to get some
information for its configuration ($HBASE_HOME/conf) at compile-time and use
it at run-time. Currently, the only way to do this is to provide information
to the udf at runtime. So, I have to do 'ADD JAR /path/to/hbase/conf' before
running a query with hbase_put.

Does it make sense to make the udf/udaf serializable? Then, at compile time
initialize() will set some appropriate variables in the udf, which will get
serialized. These variables will then be available at runtime.

raghu