Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by David P Grove <gr...@us.ibm.com> on 2019/11/16 22:56:51 UTC

switching default containerfactory impl in openwhisk-deploy-kube

For general awareness, I just submitted a PR [1] to switch the default in
values.yaml from using DockerContainerFactory to using
KubernetesContainerFactory.

The reality is that outside of Docker for Desktop, fewer and fewer "modern"
Kubernetes clusters are using Docker as their underlying container runtime
engine.  So we've seen a spike in user problems over the last quarter
because the helm chart's default values were becoming less realistic.

The performance of the KubernetesContainerFactory is not great, so making
the switch in defaults isn't without cost.  But I think it is better to
have a lower performing but functional correct default deployment.

--dave

[1] https://github.com/apache/openwhisk-deploy-kube/pull/547