Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by sankar <sa...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/01 06:05:11 UTC

How Apache manages FlexJS version in flex-sdk-description?

<flex-sdk-description>
<name>Apache Flex (FlexJS) 0.7.0 FP23.0 AIR23.0 en_US</name>
*<version>4.14.1</version>*
<build>20160905</build>
</flex-sdk-description>

I was wondering how Apache manages/marks version in flex-sdk-description.xml
with it's releases? I noticed that from 0.5.0-0.7.0 and now in recent
nightly builds (0.8.0) *version* value is always 4.14.1. While in Flex SDKs
the version value changes with every stable releases.

Re: How Apache manages FlexJS version in flex-sdk-description?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/30/16, 11:33 PM, "sankar" <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>But for proper information purpose if Flex SDK releases comes with
>appropriate *version* value in flex-sdk-description, doesn't FlexJS SDKs
>also suppose to come with modified versioning figures (except 4.14.1
>everytime)?

Not sure I understand your question.  The FlexJS SDK version in the <name>
tag is updated to reflect the current version of FlexJS.  The name appears
in Flash Builder in the title of the SDK.  Not sure how it looks in other
IDEs.

But we can't put 0.8.0 in the <version> tag otherwise Flash Builder will
not work properly.  Flash Builder has some assumptions that require that
the version we put in there starts with a 4.

Early on, we discussed having FlexJS simply start out with version numbers
starting with 4, but we decided against that.

-Alex

AW: How Apache manages FlexJS version in flex-sdk-description?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
I  should investigate some way to patch existing flash builder code with something like aspectj ... Had write some success with stuff like that in the past.

Chris

Von: Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>
Datum: 01.12.16 17:55 (GMT+01:00)
An: dev@flex.apache.org
Betreff: Re: How Apache manages FlexJS version in flex-sdk-description?

It's impossible for us to put the real version number for FlexJS in the
<version> element because Flash Builder thinks 0.8.0 is not a valid version
for a Flex SDK. We're basically tricking Flash Builder into thinking our
SDK is Flex 4. Adobe no longer updates Flash Builder, so we can't convince
them to add a special case for FlexJS. With that in mind, simply think of
the <version> element as a placeholder field that you should ignore as a
user. The real version is included in the <name> element.

I had to do the same thing with the Feathers SDK:

https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/feathers-sdk/blob/v3.1.1/flex-sdk-description.xml#L24

Just one of the things we need to deal with building a modern ActionScript
SDK while people are still using older tools.

- Josh

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/30/16, 11:41 PM, "carlos.rovira@gmail.com on behalf of Carlos
Rovira" <carlos.rovira@gmail.com on behalf of
carlos.rovira@codeoscopic.com> wrote:

>Hi Alex,
>
>I thought FlexJS has some dependency with FlexSDK yet...it's that not
>true?
>That will be awesome :)
>(I thought the maven ascii art when building that Chris puts was related
>that dependency....)

Well, I might not be remembering something, but I just took a quick look
at the Ant scripts.  The regular Flex SDK is used for a few things, like:

- the history.js for SWFObject but that isn't currently leveraged by any
FlexJS code, and we could easily check in a copy of those files.  These
files are packaged into the binary release.
- Creating the fontSWF for the FlatUI font
- Using mustella.swc to run the checkintest
- Generating ASDoc

But, IMO, that means that the FlexJS SDK that you install for Maven or for
an IDE really doesn't have any dependencies on the regular Flex SDK.  You
can run the main build of the SWCs in Maven or Ant without the Flex SDK.
As long as you don't try to build the font SWF, package a binary release,
run checkin tests or generate the ASDoc.  And I'm in the process of
getting the Falcon to generate the DITA files so eliminate the ASDoc
dependency.

Interestingly, this theoretically means that for folks who don't need to
build a SWF version of their FlexJS application, we should be able to
create a downloadable package that doesn't have any dependencies on the
Adobe SDKs (playerglobal.swc and the AIR SDK), although I don't think such
a package would work as a Flex SDK in Flash Builder and maybe other IDEs.
It isn't high on my priority list to do, but it would prove that FlexJS is
truly independent from Adobe.

-Alex

Re: How Apache manages FlexJS version in flex-sdk-description?

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Chris,

that's awesome, since as FlexJS si new tech the older dependency on Flex
SDK was a true problem. So great to see we don't have that load this days!
:)

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: How Apache manages FlexJS version in flex-sdk-description?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Carlos,

Am 01.12.16, 08:41 schrieb "carlos.rovira@gmail.com im Auftrag von Carlos Rovira" <carlos.rovira@gmail.com im Auftrag von carlos.rovira@codeoscopic.com>:

    Hi Alex,

    I thought FlexJS has some dependency with FlexSDK yet...it's that not true?
    That will be awesome :)
    (I thought the maven ascii art when building that Chris puts was related to

    --

    Carlos Rovira
    Director General

    proceda a su destrucción.

    necesaria.

Re: How Apache manages FlexJS version in flex-sdk-description?

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Alex,

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: How Apache manages FlexJS version in flex-sdk-description?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.