Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Parker, Matt" <ma...@voyanttech.com> on 2004/02/11 20:48:02 UTC

tomcat and VM settings

I'm wondering if anyone has done any tomcat benchmarking with different Hotspot VM settings. Specifically, I'm wondering if -server or -d64 make noticeable differences on the Solaris 8 sparc platform. I have read Sun's documentation about what these settings are supposed to do, but I haven't really seen anything talked about within the context of Tomcat or J2EE.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Re: tomcat and VM settings

Posted by Aadi Deshpande <ma...@clubmom-inc.com>.
Parker, Matt wrote:

>I'm wondering if anyone has done any tomcat benchmarking with different Hotspot VM settings. Specifically, I'm wondering if -server or -d64 make noticeable differences on the Solaris 8 sparc platform. I have read Sun's documentation about what these settings are supposed to do, but I haven't really seen anything talked about within the context of Tomcat or J2EE.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Matt

In general, -server will make a huge difference for long running
applications, since a lot of the internal optimizations ( such as how
often to compile/recompile and how long to cache ) are turned on by the
-server/-client switch.

On Solaris 8, you can get a little  more juice a lot of times by
switching to the alternate libthread (
http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/threads/threads.html ) and using the
1-1 model. ( This, i believe is the default on Solaris 9 )

There's a lot of options related to garbage collecting, leading one to
the obvious conclusion that tuning the GC can provide boosts in
performance.  There's a lot of good reading at
http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/.

I don't have any hard numbers, but we were able to do some very postive
things, once we found the right information.

HTH,
-a

Using -server JVM option with jsvc

Posted by Mariano <ml...@sescam.org>.
Hi all, i like to use -server option JVM with jsvc.

If I use -server in CATALINA_OPTS doesn't work, i also use export
JAVA_OPTS="-server" in the script but i don't know if this works. It seems
likes works fine, but i don't konw if -server option is working.

Thanks.

Mariano López