Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/09 22:40:49 UTC

Re: WebXxxx Naming Was: Web Components/Common project

On 8/9/05, Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:

> Prior to calling a vote tomorrow, am I missing any potential names. This
> is all I dredged out of the previous mail thread. 'webapp' was mentioned
> instead of 'web'; but didn't seem to get any traction.
>
> ------------------------
> web bricks
> web components
> web parts       (NOTE-1)
> web commons     (NOTE-2)
> ------------------------

Some other names were added to the wiki page:

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/CreatingCommonsForWebComponents

That would probably add:

- web libs
- web tools

to your list above. (I'm not sure how appropriate 'web libs' would be
though, since I'm not sure I'd refer to, say, a compression filter as
a 'library'.)

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Felipe Leme <ja...@felipeal.net>.
Martin Cooper wrote:

> Some other names were added to the wiki page:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/CreatingCommonsForWebComponents

I forgot to add some names to that page:

Webbies    (has the same idea of weblets, but causing less confusion)
Jakartlets (someone suggested we use a name without "Web" - it would be
cool to be derived from Jakarta then, as Jakarta is tied to server side
Java)

> That would probably add:
>
> - web libs
> - web tools
>
> to your list above. (I'm not sure how appropriate 'web libs' would be
> though, since I'm not sure I'd refer to, say, a compression filter as
> a 'library'.)

Web Tools can be a problem too, as it conflicts with the Eclipse Web
Tools Platform.

-- Felipe